First round could see five quarterbacks, again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/06/first-round-could-see-five-quarterbacks-again/

First round could see five quarterbacks, again

For the first time since 1999, five quarterbacks heard their names called in the first round of the 2018 draft. After a 19-year gap being a quintet of first-round quarterbacks, the new streak may not even get to one.

There’s a current belief in some circles (thanks to a source who knows the ins and outs of the draft as well as anyone) that this year’s draft also could result in five quarterbacks being picked in round one.

Three are a given: Oklahoma’s Kyler Murray, Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins, and Missouri’s Drew Lock. (Lock could actually go before Haskins.) The fourth would be Duke’s Daniel Jones.

The fifth could be one of multiple options, depending on various factors like whether a team drafting late in round one likes one of the remaining quarterbacks enough to pick him and whether a team trades back into round one for a quarterback and the possible five-year deal that goes along with getting him before round two.

Twice since the 2014, a team has moved up to pick No. 32 for a quarterback. The Vikings traded up for Teddy Bridgewater five years ago, and the Ravens traded up in 2018 for Lamar Jackson.

The fifth this year could be, in theory, N.C. State’s Ryan Finley, Auburn’s Jarret Stidham, Northwestern’s Clayton Thorson, or West Virginia’s Will Grier.

This isn’t a report or a prediction that there will be five taken in round one. It’s a “someone who knows his stuff thinks there could be five” head’s up regarding the possibility that, just like a year ago, five new quarterbacks could enter the NFL on the first night of the draft.

And it makes sense. As more and more solid young quarterbacks flood the league, more and more teams that don’t have one will want one. Given that signing a rookie (especially late in the first round) is a lot cheaper than signing a veteran, it makes sense to roll the dice on someone who could become a franchise-caliber player.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
That’s gotta be good news for a Snead tradedown strategy.

Stay tuned.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
yesjacknicholson.gif

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a hard time believing Ryan Finley would be a 1st rounder. Even with the 5th year.
It will be 4 and we need to hope Jones or Lock slides to 31

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It sure appears to be smart to always be in the process of grooming a raw young drafted QB's under a five year possiblity contract for whatever happens in the future to your starter. The Patriots have received big divedens from this practice in future draft picks.

Ram65

Legend
I'll take four QBs being drafted in round one. Seems early on the QBs aren't rated highly then they start getting momentum to be first round picks. Been watching the alternating head to head draft from PFF and they don't like the QBs in round one not that matter much but, I found it interesting.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-palazzolo-vs-renner-2019-nfl-mock-draft

Obviously the more QBs drafted in round one the better for the Rams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Three to me seems more likely, four very possible as well. But yes this is good news for a team like the Rams who may be looking to trade down.

dang

Legend
I am hoping 4 QBS and 4 WRs are chosen in the first round - leaving more OL/DL options for the Rams.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
So stupid. Historically 0 1 or 2 is the amount of QBs a year that actually make it - 5 is crazy teams are playing Russian Roulette with their future.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think it'll be 3 because someone will trade for Rosen.

I think Rosen goes for a 2nd.

They have to make the deal before the draft or the Cards' ability to deal goes way down. They can pretend that they don't have to make this deal before the draft.

I'd wager that if they draft Murray, the BEST they can get is a late 3rd.

Prior to the draft, I could see the Chargers or Giants or maybe even the Vikings going for it. Would mean Mannion looking for another gig, but they aren't in long term on Cousins, just 2 more years, iirc.

And honestly, if you have a starting QB that you really aren't sure is going to be your QB 3 years from now (as certain as one can be in the NFL), a 2nd for someone as good as Rosen isn't just stealing, it's Grand Theft.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I think Miami may be interested because I'm not buying fitz as who they see or want as their starter. I think they wait and see who's available at 13 but since the top 3 guys will probably be gone they will be on the phone working a deal. They would know that in order to beat the giants pats and anyone offering a late first or 2nd, that they would have to pony up number 13. Them the cards could use that pick for a starting tackle.

It would be silly for Miami to head into the season without a viable qb competition and they wont do better with a rookie at 13 than they would do getting Rosen for the same pick.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think Miami may be interested because I'm not buying fitz as who they see or want as their starter. I think they wait and see who's available at 13 but since the top 3 guys will probably be gone they will be on the phone working a deal. They would know that in order to beat the giants pats and anyone offering a late first or 2nd, that they would have to pony up number 13. Them the cards could use that pick for a starting tackle.

It would be silly for Miami to head into the season without a viable qb competition and they wont do better with a rookie at 13 than they would do getting Rosen for the same pick.

That makes sense...which is why it's unlikely Miami will do it.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
What would be funny is that since Miami has the worst win total projection according to vegas, they could end up trading Rosen next year and draft tua.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They could also haggle for a pick back - pick #65 (the Cards pick at the top of the 3rd) would still leave the value for the Cards as better than any other team likely would offer, and still let them get an impact player Rosen and a pick who is much less likely to make an impact.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
They could also haggle for a pick back - pick #65 (the Cards pick at the top of the 3rd) would still leave the value for the Cards as better than any other team likely would offer, and still let them get an impact player Rosen and a pick who is much less likely to make an impact.

I was thinking maybe swapping picks in the 2nd or 3rd