First QB to be given a look?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
My money is on Bryn Renner - who was put on waivers yesterday by Denver.

Spend a waiver pick on him and give him a looksy over the next 2 weeks - see if he is one you would like to try to develop.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Former UNC QB - went undrafted - low hanging fruit.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Id rather try to get Connor Shaw as a developmental guy or possibly Mettenberger

Alan

Legend
We have decision to make about the QBs we already have on our roster. No time to be fooling around with some other teams rejects. They're rejects for a reason.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Id rather try to get Connor Shaw as a developmental guy or possibly Mettenberger
Why would Tennessee give up Mettenberger? He's been their best qb in camp this year. You might be able to pry Charlie whitehurst away.
I'd rather let Hekker play qb than whitehurst

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Why would Tennessee give up Mettenberger? He's been their best qb in camp this year. You might be able to pry Charlie whitehurst away.
I'd rather let Hekker play qb than whitehurst
I agree it would be hard to get Mettenberger, I just liked him out of college. And hell no to Whitehurst! Shaw may be possible though as he is third on the depth chart.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We have decision to make about the QBs we already have on our roster. No time to be fooling around with some other teams rejects. They're rejects for a reason.

Other teams trash becomes treasure all the time.

I'm not suggesting that they take snaps away from Hill and give them to a project, but we need to be looking high and low to fill the QB position.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree it would be hard to get Mettenberger, I just liked him out of college. And hell no to Whitehurst! Shaw may be possible though as he is third on the depth chart.
I liked him a lot too. I guess the question we both have is rhetorical, but why didn't we use a 5th rounder to get this guy

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I know id be feeling a lot better if the rams had Mettenberger on the roster than Gilbert...

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
We drafted a guy in Gilbert that's better than some of the guys out there. And he knows the system to some degree.
And if you have to give up like a 3rd choice for some of these guys since the other teams will want a premium this time of year, wouldn't it be better to get the same type QB in the next draft at a cheaper price since who you trade for now might not be a help this year.

Alan

Legend
12intheBox desperate to fill the void:
I'm not suggesting that they take snaps away from Hill and give them to a project, but we need to be looking high and low to fill the QB position.
Taking snaps from Hill isn't the problem in my mind. Do you know what we should do concerning the Davis, Gilbert competition? Plenty of time to look at other QBs after me make a decision about our own. Unless it's someone like Sanchez who already knows our system, no one we'll likely get at this time of the year will help us now.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Taking snaps from Hill isn't the problem in my mind. Do you know what we should do concerning the Davis, Gilbert competition? Plenty of time to look at other QBs after me make a decision about our own. Unless it's someone like Sanchez who already knows our system, no one we'll likely get at this time of the year will help us now.

Bringing in a developmental type wouldn't be for this year - and no, I don't have the faintest clue what the brass really thinks of Gilbert or Davis. But it just so happens that this is the time of year when lots of youngsters get exposed to waivers and try to sneak talent onto PS positions. If I'm the Rams, I'm doing some serious scouting of all of those options.

Alan

Legend
12intheBox with some elaboration:
Bringing in a developmental type wouldn't be for this year - and no, I don't have the faintest clue what the brass really thinks of Gilbert or Davis. But it just so happens that this is the time of year when lots of youngsters get exposed to waivers and try to sneak talent onto PS positions. If I'm the Rams, I'm doing some serious scouting of all of those options.
I don't disagree with anything you just said, I'm just willing to wait until after we make a decision about our own QBs and I think that will be made after the last preseason game. We can always take a player off someone's PS after the season starts. I wanted us to keep 3 QBs anyway so for me it comes down to Gilbert. I don't want us to try and sneak him onto the PS if we like Davis better right now. That hasn't worked out well for us in the past and what's the point of drafting a developmental QB if you don't actually try and develop him?

I just don't see any rejected QB from another team being better than Hill or solving any of our problems if Hill goes down.