First Priority? 2015 1st rounder or Top 2014 player?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Peter King said he believes Snead really wants a trade down from #2 to include a 2014 1st rounder, then mentioned Snead trading down to around #15 if that's what it took to get it.

I'm having a hard time accepting that as a good plan. Just doesn't make sense that you pass on top tier talent now for just one first round pick next year.

What does everyone think the first priority is for Snead?

I'm hoping he is setting a limit to how far he will drop. Maybe around #7 or #8.

PhxRam

Peter King said he believes Snead really wants a trade down from #2 to include a 2014 1st rounder, then mentioned Snead trading down to around #15 if that's what it took to get it.

I'm having a hard time accepting that as a good plan. Just doesn't make sense that you pass on top tier talent now for just one first round pick next year.

What does everyone think the first priority is for Snead?

I'm hoping he is setting a limit to how far he will drop. Maybe around #7 or #8.

While it is certainly nice to have that pick next year, what is the sense of having it if we are never going to use it?

I think we are reaching a point where the holes are less abundant and now is the time to fill them with elite talent.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO you can't plan that way. If a trade presents itself, at that point you have to weigh value of who you would take vs trade haul.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It would give us the ammunition for a top tier skill guy in 2015 in case our guys don't work out in 2014. Risk management 101.

I'd happily trade down with the Vikings for a 1st 2nd and 1st rather than the Browns for a 1st and 1st. Other than that, screw next year I want to win now.

jap

Legend
We are looking to put the finishing touches on a true playoff caliber team. We want the best skill players for our schemes so we can take over the Wild, Wild NFC West this season.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I'm all for a 2015 first-rounder as part of any deal.

Many of our young skill-position guys need more time to develop. If Quick, Pead and others don't make any noticeable progress in 2014, we will have the ammunition to replace them in the 2015 draft. Throw in our 2015 free agents (I'm sure we'll do everything we can to keep Quinn, but Kendricks, Barksdale and others become free agents next year) and injury concerns surrounding Jake Long, amongst others, and having plenty of options in 2015 seems very prudent.

And I haven't even mentioned a certain someone...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
IMO you can't plan that way. If a trade presents itself, at that point you have to weigh value of who you would take vs trade haul.

This is my take as well.

A good part of me wants to maximize the haul this year. Always planning for next year feels like a concession to winning later, instead of now.

That said; banking a little draft capital for 2015 protects for needs exposed in 2014. I'm just not in favor of saying that's what we do. To Phx point.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Take it this year if the value is close.
The most valid reasons to put it off is to spread out when players can become FA's or have more dry powder to trade up next year to fill a certain position.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Next year
Next year
Next year

Enough is enough, the future is NOW. Rams need to make a run at the title now. Time to get some premier players instead of settling for the 3rd or 4th best option at certain positions in the draft.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Take it this year if the value is close.
The most valid reasons to put it off is to spread out when players can become FA's or have more dry powder to trade up next year to fill a certain position.
Well that makes sense. You swap #1's this yr and still have two 1st rd. picks. Get another for next yr for more ammo and also get a pick or two in the 2-5 rd. range this yr. This is not a very good draft for high #1's .... but it is deep throughout at many positions.