First Cut Victims?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coach, did Dill show less than Hooey in practice? If it's close, based on the preseason games, I'm pissed at Hooey and that was probably the worst series by an OT I've seen in many years. Just wondering if you think they are close in ability based on what you've seen and I've missed?
Man, I was wondering why Hooey didn't head the lists of prospective cuts!..:censored:

A55VA6

Legend
With the first round of cuts coming next Tuesday (Aug. 26th), any predictions as to who sees the pink slip hanging in their lockers? They need to get down to 75 by Tuesday, and with Pead certain to land on IR, that leaves 14 others to find their way to the unemployment line. Any guesses?

Here are mine:

1) RB - Isaiah Pead - IR
2) QB - Austin Davis
3) WR - Jordan Harris
4) FB - Kadeem Jones (IR settlement)
5) OT- R. J. Dill
6) OG - D.J. Morrell
7) WR - TJ Moe
8) DT - Deantra Harlan
9) DE - Kourtnie Brown
10) LB - Johnny Millard
11) LB - Pat Schiller
12) DB - Jarrid Bryant
13) DB - Avery Cunningham
14) P - Bobby Cowan
15) LS - Jordan Hus
Pretty much nailed it. That's exactly how my list would look.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Coach, did Dill show less than Hooey in practice? If it's close, based on the preseason games, I'm pissed at Hooey and that was probably the worst series by an OT I've seen in many years. Just wondering if you think they are close in ability based on what you've seen and I've missed?
If you recorded the game, or can rewatch it,, see what Hooey does in the 2nd and 3rd Quarter while playing RIGHT TACKLE... I'm guessing you didn't even know he was out there (which is a good thing) and only noticed his implosion when they moved him over to LT.

He has played pretty well @ RT all throughout training camp. And has not taken any reps at LT in 3+ weeks. You really need to cut the kid some slack, because people are trashing him over less than one qtr and completely ignoring the other 4 quarters he has played pretty well at RT.

Last edited:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If you recorded the game, or can rewatch it,, see what Hooey does in the 2nd and 3rd Quarter while playing RIGHT TACKLE... I'm guessing you didn't even know he was out there (which is a good thing) and only noticed his implosion when they moved him over to LT.

He has played pretty well @ RT all throughout training camp. And has not taken any reps at LT in 3+ weeks. You really need to cut the kid some slack, because you are trashing him over less than one qtr and completely ignoring the other 4 quarters he has played pretty well at RT.
No offense, but I'd hardly say he is "trashing" Hooey. Hooey may have looked just fine at RT, but I think a very fair and honest assessment of how he played at LT is pretty close to what smram said. I can't recall the last time someone let the opponent run by them play after play after play like Hooey. I think he will need to really show a lot at RT to make up for how deficient he looked at LT.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
No offense, but I'd hardly say he is "trashing" Hooey. Hooey may have looked just fine at RT, but I think a very fair and honest assessment of how he played at LT is pretty close to what smram said. I can't recall the last time someone let the opponent run by them play after play after play like Hooey. I think he will need to really show a lot at RT to make up for how deficient he looked at LT.
I disagree with that completely. You apparently haven't seen the comments from Fisher's press conference yesterday when asked about Hooey... They know he hasnt had any reps at LT, and unless they are dumb enough as a staff to use him there again, its highly doubtful it happens again. But when you have 5 OL not dressed for a preseason game, that sort of thing will happen.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I may be in the minority on this one. And the Rams probably won't see it this way, but I'd keep Deantra Harlan, Kourtnie Brown, & T.J. Moe another week and replace them with Brad Smelley, Justin Veltung, and some type of injury waiver on Brandon Washington.

Why?

I keep as many DLineman as I could, as with one more preseason game to play, I'd sit Quinn, Long, Brockers, & Langford for that final preseason game. And they should have seen enough of Veltung by now to see what he has got. I say give Moe a shot to make some plays.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I disagree with that completely. You apparently haven't seen the comments from Fisher's press conference yesterday when asked about Hooey... They know he hasnt had any reps at LT, and unless they are dumb enough as a staff to use him there again, its highly doubtful it happens again. But when you have 5 OL not dressed for a preseason game, that sort of thing will happen.
I just think that as a depth guy he needs to at least prove viable at both spots. Perhaps the ability for Robinson and Saffold to play LT greatly changes that...

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Moe seems to be this years camp darling at WR like Helmick was last year. I think he gets cut but for different reasons than A Helmick did.

Last edited:

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve

He has played pretty well @ RT all throughout training camp. And has not taken any reps at LT in 3+ weeks. You really need to cut the kid some slack, because you are trashing him over less than one qtr and completely ignoring the other 4 quarters he has played pretty well at RT.
I didn't watch the game twice yet. Thanks for the info. If you breath and read my post again, you'll see that I said nothing negative about his game performance aside of one series. I was asking the question and did not trash him at all other than what he deserved criticism for.
Thought I'd be respectful of your camp knowledge and ask an opinion. Calm down

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I just think that as a depth guy he needs to at least prove viable at both spots. Perhaps the ability for Robinson and Saffold to play LT greatly changes that...
Normally I would agree with you,, but with Person being able to play LT, you can get by with someone like Hooey as a 6th OT even tho he may only play one position. At best he will be the 10th OL on the roster, if they go that route. And with Saffold, Robinson and Person all ahead of him, (behind the starters) he is merely insurance for an oft injured unit.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I didn't watch the game twice yet. Thanks for the info. If you breath and read my post again, you'll see that I said nothing negative about his game performance aside of one series. I was asking the question and did not trash him at all other than what he deserved criticism for.
My comment about Hooey getting trashed, was as much to do with another thread, as it is for comments made in this one. Wasn't directed at you specifically.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Normally I would agree with you,, but with Person being able to play LT, you can get by with someone like Hooey as a 6th OT even tho he may only play one position. At best he will be the 10th OL on the roster, if they go that route. And with Saffold, Robinson and Person all ahead of him, (behind the starters) he is merely insurance for an oft injured unit.

That's the interesting thing. Most of us saw Hooey struggle at LT. But, what about RT? I'm not ready to toss him to the curb.

For all we know, that was a test.

Could be bad for Hooey. But, maybe that was part of the analysis?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Kinda hoping for Moe to get some more chances but the rest of the list looks about right.

RamWoodie

Legend
That's a good list Coach O...I would change a thing. I feel Pead will go IR also...but he has a hard road now..I didn't think Fisher had given up on him.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
The one I toiled with is TJ Moe, but based on his lack of inclusion during camp, I just don't see him being in the mix. The others, particularly the O-linemen, could get a stay of execution based on the injury situation on that unit.

I too had hope that Moe would stick, at least for a while, as I don't trust who we have at WR to get the job done..

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I too had hope that Moe would stick, at least for a while, as I don't trust who we have at WR to get the job done..
If you dont trust Quick, Britt, Austin, Givens, Bailey or Pettis, what in the world does TJ Moe do that make you trust him more?
There is no one who wanted to see him make an impression more than me, but he has not shown up at all in camp.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If you dont trust Quick, Britt, Austin, Givens, Bailey or Pettis, what in the world does TJ Moe do that make you trust him more?
There is no one who wanted to see him make an impression more than me, but he has not shown up at all in camp.
He's had a couple "hair" interviews....

nanotech

Rookie
With the first round of cuts coming next Tuesday (Aug. 26th), any predictions as to who sees the pink slip hanging in their lockers? They need to get down to 75 by Tuesday, and with Pead certain to land on IR, that leaves 14 others to find their way to the unemployment line. Any guesses?

Here are mine:

1) RB - Isaiah Pead - IR
2) QB - Austin Davis
3) WR - Jordan Harris
4) FB - Kadeem Jones (IR settlement)
5) OT- R. J. Dill
6) OG - D.J. Morrell
7) WR - TJ Moe
8) DT - Deantra Harlan
9) DE - Kourtnie Brown
10) LB - Johnny Millard
11) LB - Pat Schiller
12) DB - Jarrid Bryant
13) DB - Avery Cunningham
14) P - Bobby Cowan
15) LS - Jordan Hus[/QUOTE
Morbid post! Probably a lot of nice of folks on this list. Not to mention folks that gave their all.