Finnegan Wanted to Play for Gregg Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Howard Balzer
http://www.101espn.com/category/hbalzer ... -Williams/

[wrapimg=left]http://www.101espn.com/images/authors/medium/hbalzer.jpg[/wrapimg]BROOKLYN, N.Y. -- Cornerback Cortland Finnegan has mentioned frequently the draw head coach Jeff Fisher was in his decision to sign with the Rams as an unrestricted free agent. But Fisher wasn’t the only reason.

Finnegan told 101sports.com Tuesday in New York that defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was also a major part of his motivation, even though he’s never been coached by Williams in his career.

“Every player you talk to says what a great coach he is,” Finnegan said, while wearing his new Rams jersey No. 31. “I was so excited to have a chance to play for him. He has a great defense and players love playing in that defense.”

With Williams under indefinite suspension for his role in the New Orleans Saints bounty program, Finnegan said he hopes Williams will be reinstated. But what will be the Rams’ approach for the 2012 season?

As Fisher has pointed out several times, the defense began with him and he has talked about a collaborative effort in coordinating the defense with the key question who will call defenses on game day.

Assistant head coach Dave McGinnis has done that in his career as has secondary coach Chuck Cecil when he was Tennessee’s defensive coordinator.

But Finnegan had a surprising opinion of who might end up having a large role in the defense: linebackers coach Blake Williams, who is Gregg Williams’ son.

Even though he also hasn’t been coached by Blake Williams, Finnegan said, “He has a great understanding of the defense and might have the best understanding after being with his father so long. I have a feeling he might get a lot more freedom here.

“However, all of them can do it, although I don’t think Chuck wants it. But it’s not going to be a problem. I know Jeff and how detailed he is; who knows how he’ll do it? I do plan to talk to him about the plan when I get there Monday.”

Blake Williams is just 27 years old, and has been on coaching staffs with his father since 2006 with the Redskins.