Finnegan misses practice, listed as questionable

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Kathleen Nelson
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 4e8ed.html

50cc1a53cf7c0.preview-620.jpg

Cornerback Cortland Finnegan missed a third consecutive day of practice Friday because of a thigh injury and was listed as questionable for the Rams’ game Sunday in Tampa Bay.
The thigh injury follows an ankle injury, which forced him to miss two days of practice last week but didn’t prevent him from playing in the 36-22 loss to Minnesota.

Because of team policy regarding players who do not practice, Finnegan was unavailable to comment.

With or without Finnegan, the Rams’ secondary will face a formidable task against the Buccaneers, who have a potent passing attack with receivers Vincent Jackson (1,226 receiving yards) and Mike Williams (799) and tight end Dallas Clark (402).

If Finnegan can’t play, rookie Trumaine Johnson, who has seen the bulk of the action lately at nickel back, is most likely to start, opposite fellow rookie Janoris Jenkins. In that case, the team has a couple of options at nickel, one of whom is Bradley Fletcher.

Running back Steven Jackson (illness) was limited but listed as probable. Jackson needs just 91 yards to reach 1,000 rushing yards for the eighth consecutive season, a milestone achieved by just five running backs in NFL history: Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin, Thurman Thomas and LaDainian Tomlinson.

Others listed as probable who participated in full practice were LB James Laurinaitis (back), C Scott Wells (knee), Fletcher (illness) and DE Robert Quinn (illness).

CONVERSION RATE

The Rams have been successful on five two-point conversions this season, one shy of the NFL record, set by the 1994 Dolphins and 1997 Vikings.

“It’s our ability to throw and catch. We’ve just made plays,” coach Jeff Fisher said, noting that quarterback Sam Bradford “stays alive. He understands the concepts. And we’ve had some good plays in place.”

The flip side: The Rams have made more two-point conversions than rushing touchdowns, four, this season.

“So, then you say, ‘How come you don’t use those plays when you’re backed out a little bit further?’” Fisher said, anticipating the follow-up. “Well, they’re basically two-point plays . … We carry a couple into each week.”

SACK LUNCH

Bradford ‘s streak of 30 consecutive games with a sack is the longest active streak in the NFL, according to Fox TV sports.

“Actually, I didn’t know that,” Bradford said. “If you don’t get sacked in a game, then obviously that means protection’s good, the ball got out quick, guys on the outside won. It’s a team effort to eliminate sacks. That’s something that we work towards each week. And, yes, if we can play these next two games with no sacks, then that would be awesome.”

Bradford was sacked four times Sunday versus Minnesota, bringing his season tally to 35 and career total to 105.

But in just his third season as the starter, Bradford has quietly moved into the top 10 in passing yards in franchise history with 8,903. He needs 394 yards in the last two weeks to pass Pat Haden and move into eighth place in Rams history.

RAM-BLINGS

Cornerback Quinton Pointer, an undrafted rookie from UNLV, was promoted to the 53-man roster. He filled the spot vacated by guard Harvey Dahl, who was placed on injured reserve and underwent surgery on his biceps Wednesday. ... Adrian Peterson’s 82-yard run Sunday was the second longest ever against the Rams, exceeded only by DeMarco Murray’s 91-yard touchdown romp last October. … The Rams-Bucs game will be blacked out in Tampa Bay, the sixth home game unavailable in the Bucs’ local TV market. … Tampa’s quarterbacks coach is Ron Turner, who served as head coach of the Fighting Illini from 1997 to 2004. … Bucs cornerback LeQuan Lewis (knee) was listed as questionable; defensive ends Michael Bennett (shoulder) and Da’Quan Bowers (hamstring,) linebacker Lavonte David (knee), receiver Mike Williams (wrist) and tight end Luke Stocker (head, nose) were probable.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love the Rams depth at CB. We've been relatively healthy this year... but this just goes to show; you can never have enough of them.

I'd like to see Fletcher back next year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think we're gonna see a lot of Tru22 in this one. Fletcher really must have pissed off the coaches because his involvement in the defense seems to have dropped off dramatically. Either that or they're phasing him out in favor of the youth movement. I always liked B Fletch, and I hope he gets a bigger role in this next game, but something tells me it's gonna be the rook.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
I think we're gonna see a lot of Tru22 in this one. Fletcher really must have pissed off the coaches because his involvement in the defense seems to have dropped off dramatically. Either that or they're phasing him out in favor of the youth movement. I always liked B Fletch, and I hope he gets a bigger role in this next game, but something tells me it's gonna be the rook.

I like Trumaine a lot. It's a coin toss for me between the two.

But I will say this about Fletcher; he's starter material on another team.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
CGI_Ram said:
X said:

I'm glad they haven't given up on Pointer yet,I liked what I saw of him in pre c zun ( using newzbot spell chacker)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thordaddy said:
CGI_Ram said:
X said:

I'm glad they haven't given up on Pointer yet,I liked what I saw of him in pre c zun ( using newzbot spell chacker)

I agree! Pointer has been impressive when we've seen him. I'm pretty sure we lose Fletcher to FA, so Pointer has a better chance staying in the big leagues with us next year.