Finnegan Expected To Be Back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
lol ikr. Personally I think he is declining. His first yer with us was good, but not great. His first 3 games he had an interception in each and that got our hopes really high on him, but after he stopped getting those he kinda became just an average CB, then last year he just sucked horribly, probably mostly due to injuries. But still, all of that is worrisome when put together. And now he is 30 as well, which isn't like a RB in terms of decline, but still.....I guess we can just hope for the best.

SUUURELY he can edge McCleod at safety. He got really good speed, ball skills, and an aggressive tackler. If he really is healthy than he can be our poor man's Aneas Williams. I suppose that may be a "best case" scenario.

You add Verner into the mix and suddenly I find a jolly in my pocket.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
You can restructure in a myriad of ways. If the Rams wanted to reduce his cap hit without paying him any more guaranteed money, they could ask Finnegan to take a pay-cut and either convert part of his base salary into an unlikely to be earned incentive or a roster bonus that he gets paid in the final year of the deal(which he'll be likely cut before).

Those are just two of many ways you can move the money around to reduce his cap number. There are other ways of doing it without guaranteeing anything(typically if a player is willing to take a pay-cut to avoid being released) and there are ways of doing it where they're guaranteed additional money in the future in terms of cap but paid it today(often using a restructure bonus or option bonus).

Cutting hit and re-signing him would decrease the cap hit but it likely would be for less than restructuring him would.

Thanks for explaining it for me ;)

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
SUUURELY he can edge McCleod at safety. He got really good speed, ball skills, and an aggressive tackler. If he really is healthy than he can be our poor man's Aneas Williams. I suppose that may be a "best case" scenario.

I am sure her could, but i rather have our new drafted FS take that starting job.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I am sure her could, but i rather have our new drafted FS take that starting job.

I don't think another third round safety would be an upgrade, here. We would still have McCleod, Stewart, and Davis as reserves, too. I'm willing to stick with what we have, there.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I don't think another third round safety would be an upgrade, here. We would still have McCleod, Stewart, and Davis as reserves, too. I'm willing to stick with what we have, there.

I didn't say 3rd round safety, I meant more along the lines of Calvin Pryor (y) (sorry, he is my man crush of this draft)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I didn't say 3rd round safety, I meant more along the lines of Calvin Pryor (y) (sorry, he is my man crush of this draft)

Lol

If we pull off a big deal with Cleveland than anything can happen.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Lol

If we pull off a big deal with Cleveland than anything can happen.

I think we should grab Pryor at #13 regardless of a trade down with Cleveland. Just my personal opinion though.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think we should grab Pryor at #13 regardless of a trade down with Cleveland. Just my personal opinion though.

I'd be alright with that. Anything but OL in the first roud. ;)

We can build the trenches with our other picks in this strong OG class. I'm down with Cyril Richardson if he's there in the second. Dude's a tank.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'd be alright with that. Anything but OL in the first roud. ;)

We can build the trenches with our other picks in this strong OG class. I'm down with Cyril Richardson if he's there in the second. Dude's a tank.

If we trade down we will get at least a 2nd and more in this draft. We can build the trenches through the 2nd-7th round easily. Richardson is fine by me, especially since he lost 20 lbs. G.Jackson would be fine by me also. We can grab A. Richardson, Moses, Turner, Mewhort, etc. Would love to grab one of those tackles in the 2nd, as well as jackson or richardson in the 2nd as well with the other pick. Then grab a tackle and guard late in the draft. Would love to grab Spencer Long in the 6th or 7th, would be an absolute steal.

Always happy to have someone who thinks like I do!! No O-line in the first is a must, and would be a waste of a pick.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Nothing more than I want to see is him back next year playing well. Possibly Williams system will help him. He brings much to the team off the field.
He was awful last season. He was awful in camp and the preseason. If he was hurt they wouldn't have played him in camp.

The cap dollar's are important yes.
But can he still play a high level?
And do you cut a younger guy with upside to keep him on the roster?
That's what they may have to do.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If we trade down we will get at least a 2nd and more in this draft. We can build the trenches through the 2nd-7th round easily. Richardson is fine by me, especially since he lost 20 lbs. G.Jackson would be fine by me also. We can grab A. Richardson, Moses, Turner, Mewhort, etc. Would love to grab one of those tackles in the 2nd, as well as jackson or richardson in the 2nd as well with the other pick. Then grab a tackle and guard late in the draft. Would love to grab Spencer Long in the 6th or 7th, would be an absolute steal.

Always happy to have someone who thinks like I do!! No O-line in the first is a must, and wouldn't be a waste of a pick.

Yeah man, you're talking my language. Not to mention we very well may have multiple comp picks. All I know is pick the players you KNOW will not have anyone close to them later on. Watkins, Clowney, Pryor, Mack, etc. all great picks. That's why Clowney is closing the gap on Watkins for me. Nobody EVEN CLOSE to him and you can't say that about any other top player at any position. If we get a guy like Evans, because we picked Clowney, that means no Pryor.

But can you really pass on Clowney if our coaches beleive he's the next Megatron of the DE? How the heck could an OG block him in a wide base set? There would be double teams with the chips from the RB's and TE's all day across the OL. This muddies the waters right off the bat for opposing offenses.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yeah man, you're talking my language. Not to mention we very well may have multiple comp picks. All I know is pick the players you KNOW will not have anyone close to them later on. Watkins, Clowney, Pryor, Mack, etc. all great picks. That's why Clowney is closing the gap on Watkins for me. Nobody EVEN CLOSE to him and you can't say that about any other top player at any position. If we get a guy like Evans, because we picked Clowney, that means no Pryor.

But can you really pass on Clowney if our coaches beleive he's the next Megatron of the DE? How the heck could an OG block him in a wide base set? There would be double teams with the chips from the RB's and TE's all day across the OL. This muddies the waters right off the bat for opposing offenses.

If we miss out on Pryor, we can find a FS in the 2nd or 3rd like last year. As much as I love Pryor, I think Ward could be an amazing FS even though he spent most of his time at SS. Sure tackler and Ballhawker. Other options as well. If they grab Clowney and Evans, I will not complain. One fills a need, the other is the BPA of the entire draft. There is no way we can lose in the first round this year, even if we dont trade back at all.

Gonna be hard to get used to having one pick in the 1st round again lolol. Seems so natural now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Finnegan back is a good thing... At reduced $$.

Anxious to see news when it's finalized.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If we miss out on Pryor, we can find a FS in the 2nd or 3rd like last year. As much as I love Pryor, I think Ward could be an amazing FS even though he spent most of his time at SS. Sure tackler and Ballhawker. Other options as well. If they grab Clowney and Evans, I will not complain. One fills a need, the other is the BPA of the entire draft. There is no way we can lose in the first round this year, even if we dont trade back at all.

Gonna be hard to get used to having one pick in the 1st round again lolol. Seems so natural now.

Yeah no kidding. It's like our future draft value dropped 50%!!! Man we've enjoyed our picks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Finnegan back is a good thing... At reduced $$.

Anxious to see news when it's finalized.

I see it in the opposite way having Cortland Finnegan on the field again for the Rams just adds & diminishes the likelihood of this team finally having a winning season. After the last two seasons of watching Cortland's play I see no GOOD in it. Let alone that we have to pay $$$ him to play so bad and be happy about it:sick:....

F. Mulder

Starter
I see it in the opposite way having Cortland Finnegan on the field again for the Rams just adds & diminishes the likelihood of this team finally having a winning season. After the last two seasons of watching Cortland's play I see no GOOD in it. Let alone that we have to pay $$$ him to play so bad and be happy about it:sick:....

I agree with Bonifay on this one. I like Finnegan's spunk and competitiveness and liked when they signed him initially. Jim Thomas has repeatedly said he doesn't see him as a Safety due to his size. His play fell off the second part of 2012 and last year was a disaster. My feelings about DBs are like RBs in that when their play falls off it falls off fast and doesn't usually recover. I get the whole leadership thing but I don't want to spend the money nor use the roster space on a limited "leader" at the expense of getting an upgrade as his replacement. The Rams have plenty of Leaders on Defense already.