Finnegan Expected To Be Back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Sorry boys no link. It came up on my NFL Mobile app. It's always right.

Sounds like he understands the predicament. His play dropped dramatically and no team is would be willing to shell out the dough he was previously scheduled to make. Bottom line is he loves this team and doesn't want to be anywhere else. For that alone I'm happy he'll be back. I gurantee he'd have an edge over McCleod at S.

( If they cut him by June 1st they'd still save just as much money, anyway. So at least we'll hear where he is at before a final decision is made.)

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
As long as he takes a HUGE pay cut, I'd be okay with it. Still rather see him gone, though.

Is there anyway that we could keep him, but pay him no money what so ever? I mean we'll take the cap hit from cutting him regardless, if we could spread that over the next 3 years rather than one lump sum.

Otherwise, it's Fisher looking out for one of his boys, and that's worrying to me.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I saw the article.

I am thinking that they do cut him, then bring him back at a cheaper price.

Actually, if they restructure, will the cap change from what it would be with his current contract? I am horrible with cap/contracts/etc. To explain my question further, His cap hit is what? 7 Mil? If he restructures to a cheap contract, does his cap hit change to the new contract, or the old?

jjab360

Legend
Does anybody have the quote where Fisher said he expected the entire coaching staff to stay intact for next year?

That being said, I can understand why we'd want Finnegan back, he's a team leader and talented player who for whatever reason regressed to a huge liability right in the middle of what should be his prime years. I think Fisher's betting Walton didn't handle him correctly, and is willing to take a chance that Williams can bring him back from the dead. I see no problem with him coming back after a huge pay cut.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you google "Finnegan back with Rams," there's a good article on Turf show times. Talks of him restructuring are ongoing.

A55VA6

Legend
I think the Rams want him back but only if he takes a big time pay cut with a reduced role.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think the Rams want him back but only if he takes a big time pay cut with a reduced role.

He would make a good mentor to our younger backs(Jenkins, Johnson and Verner!!) (y)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He would make a good mentor to our younger backs(Jenkins, Johnson and Verner!!) (y)

Lol nice!

He was the first to instill the "additude" Fisher demands out of his defenses and he loves being here. I'm happy they're giving him a chance and he's understanding.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Lol nice!

He was the first to instill the "additude" Fisher demands out of his defenses and he loves being here. I'm happy they're giving him a chance and he's understanding.

I agree, he brings the "attitude" needed for our secondary and can teach and show them what to do from experience, even if he can't do it as well on the field anymore. I think Finny also understands needing to restructure and not living up to his contract.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Is there any chance he comes back strong? They say he's healthy so I wanna know how much of his poor play was due to him being unhealthy.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Us there any chance he comes back strong? They say he's healthy so I wanna know how much of his poor play was due to him being unhealthy.

That is the conundrum. To bad we don't know shit compared to Fisher and the staff lol. You should find out Finny's phone number and give him a call and ask;)

PhxRam

I find it hard to believe that his skills declined so rapidly due to age that he went from top 10-15 CBs in the league to almost dead last.

Last edited by a moderator:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That is the conundrum. To bad we don't know crap compared to Fisher and the staff lol. You should find out Finny's phone number and give him a call and ask;)

Oh if only... lol

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I find it hard to believe that is skills declined so rapidly due to age that he went from top 10-15 CBs in the league to almost dead last.

Right! No way in heck anybody just drops off that fast. Something was terribly wrong...

He looked completely lost out there... like he wasn't seeing clearly or something. ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw the article.

I am thinking that they do cut him, then bring him back at a cheaper price.

Actually, if they restructure, will the cap change from what it would be with his current contract? I am horrible with cap/contracts/etc. To explain my question further, His cap hit is what? 7 Mil? If he restructures to a cheap contract, does his cap hit change to the new contract, or the old?

Yes. You can move the money around in a way that significantly reduces what he gets. His cap hit would change but the contract would not be new.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Oh if only... lol

lol ikr. Personally I think he is declining. His first yer with us was good, but not great. His first 3 games he had an interception in each and that got our hopes really high on him, but after he stopped getting those he kinda became just an average CB, then last year he just sucked horribly, probably mostly due to injuries. But still, all of that is worrisome when put together. And now he is 30 as well, which isn't like a RB in terms of decline, but still.....I guess we can just hope for the best.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yes. You can move the money around in a way that significantly reduces what he gets. His cap hit would change but the contract would not be new.

I have no problem keeping him, but if we can keep him and lower the cap hit, that would be more than ideal IMO.

*So basically if we restructure it would shift money around as to how much it effects the cap, and the rest would go to a bonus basically?

If that is right, then cutting him and resigning him would only increase the cap hit?

Sorry for the questions, just really bad with this stuff.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If this article ends up true, I'm hoping it's because they still see talent in him, and it's not just a FOJF thing.

...you know, that doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as FOMM or FOSL did.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no problem keeping him, but if we can keep him and lower the cap hit, that would be more than ideal IMO.

*So basically if we restructure it would shift money around as to how much it effects the cap, and the rest would go to a bonus basically?

If that is right, then cutting him and resigning him would only increase the cap hit?

Sorry for the questions, just really bad with this stuff.

You can restructure in a myriad of ways. If the Rams wanted to reduce his cap hit without paying him any more guaranteed money, they could ask Finnegan to take a pay-cut and either convert part of his base salary into an unlikely to be earned incentive or a roster bonus that he gets paid in the final year of the deal(which he'll be likely cut before).

Those are just two of many ways you can move the money around to reduce his cap number. There are other ways of doing it without guaranteeing anything(typically if a player is willing to take a pay-cut to avoid being released) and there are ways of doing it where they're guaranteed additional money in the future in terms of cap but paid it today(often using a restructure bonus or option bonus).

Cutting hit and re-signing him would decrease the cap hit but it likely would be for less than restructuring him would.