Finnegan, begin again.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was a RB in high school and my coach seemingly had this problem with me. When he decided to start someone else in my place he told me the reason was "because you lost a step"
That's hilarious. Amateur coaches, especially when there's some sort of nepotism involved, are the worst. My HS baseball coach's son was a catcher just like me, but he got most of the PT despite not having half as strong an arm. His caught stealing percentage was lower and my BA was higher, but...

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I thought finnegan had a good game to be honest.. Much better than before he was injured. Hoping it wasn't a peak just because it was against the Titans

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
That's hilarious. Amateur coaches, especially when there's some sort of nepotism involved, are the worst. My HS baseball coach's son was a catcher just like me, but he got most of the PT despite not having half as strong an arm. His caught stealing percentage was lower and my BA was higher, but...
I hated all of the politics involved in High School sports. Granted, I went to a private Catholic school where money spoke, but I'm sure it was similar other places.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I think even at 29 you can lose a step, and based on his coverage skills I don't think there's any other way to describe it. Aneas Williams had the same issue even though he was older when we got him.
Unless he gets his hands on a guy off the line he doesn't appear to be able to cover anymore. Just my observation and ive been wrong plenty of times, but that's what I see

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I remembered this article regarding Finnegan basically admitting that it was time for him to start making the transition from relying on his athleticism to perfecting his technique.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/105732/finnegan-focused-on-fundamentals

I was actually rather optimistic about that considering that his play really did drop off at the end of his 2012 season, in that he recognized the issue and was working on it.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Finny is earning too much coin to even be average back there. Many times, he has been a liability. At this point it is not looking very good for the high priced FOJF signings.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm not trying to deride the guy, so let me get that on the table first. My *problem*, I guess you could say, is that his mouth is writing checks his ass can't cash. I remember when he was in on a pass breakup (that had no chance of being completed anyway because it was out of bounds), and I could hear his mouth from my TV. Yelling, "OH NO! OH NO! OH NO! OH NO!" while following the receiver back to the LOS. And then two plays later he gets torched on a slant and soon after takes a bad angle on C.J. and gets roasted again. I just wish he would concentrate on doing his job and stop worrying about getting into players' heads. He had a so-so game (because of an int), but he's not been the guy Fisher wanted when he was signed last year. Maybe some of that is due to being injured, and I hope that's the case, but I dunno. My broad-stroke impression still remains ... not impressed.
I think that we are better without him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think even at 29 you can lose a step, and based on his coverage skills I don't think there's any other way to describe it. Aneas Williams had the same issue even though he was older when we got him.
Unless he gets his hands on a guy off the line he doesn't appear to be able to cover anymore. Just my observation and ive been wrong plenty of times, but that's what I see

Could he swing inside like Aeneas did?

I agree most of the comment here; he's making to much $ for what we are getting right now. But, I don't think he's been healthy so I'll give him the next 7 games before deciding what I would do.

jap

Legend

I agree most of the comment here; he's making to much $ for what we are getting right now. But, I don't think he's been healthy so I'll give him the next 7 games before deciding what I would do.

Even if he makes the shift to safety, he is one of the highest paid CB's in the entire league. Safeties don't make the type of money Cort is receiving. His play is not up to what he is making by a long shot.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As a former safety, I'm interested in knowing why people think Finnegan would make a good safety.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Because Aeneas, you know.
Because ... science? Is that what you just said? :yousure:

For the record, I'm not saying he can't. I'm just wondering why people think he'd be a good one. There are specific traits needed to be a safety (free and strong), so what is it that people see in Finnegan that make them believe he can make the transition? And to which position? Strong? Free?

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler

:roflmao:At safety I think he'd at best be our third option. He makes too much for that. With his contract I don't see any other way to keep him unless he miraculously becomes the best cb in the game.
Sorry:woot::roflmao:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Cortland looked to be in the best condition health wise in a long time..........first start also in a long time....Finally he looks like an average NFL starting cb nothing special...glad we did not sign him to a long term 50 million contract that he wanted back in 2012.

Titans rank 28th in the NFL in passing offense...maybe this is not the best team to announce Cortland is back yet.