Finding Developmental Qb Critical For St. Louis Rams In 2014 Nfl Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My point is simply Dilfer is blowing up Tebow, because Dilfer is the one who trained him.

I just dont buy that Dilfer was magically able to transform Tebow when no one before him could.
He might have been able to. While they're out there in shorts with no pass rush. But as soon as the lights come on and bodies are flying around, Tebow is going to forget everything he was taught and just fall back on what he knows and is comfortable with. Same reason Stafford doesn't want any help, I presume.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
My point is simply Dilfer is blowing up Tebow, because Dilfer is the one who trained him.

I just dont buy that Dilfer was magically able to transform Tebow when no one before him could.

No one is going to magically transform the guy. Anytime you change mechanics it takes something like 10,000 repetitions to ensure that the change is a permanent, unconscious mechanic change - i.e. that the muscle memory takes over and the player doesn't have to consciously think about it. If not, you see the flaw come back when the player is under pressure.

Fact is, he's not a good NFL QB. As a backup, I think he could be useful though if your offense runs a read option/pistol scheme (which we don't).

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
He might have been able to. While they're out there in shorts with no pass rush. But as soon as the lights come on and bodies are flying around, Tebow is going to forget everything he was taught and just fall back on what he knows and is comfortable with. Same reason Stafford doesn't want any help, I presume.

That's exactly my point.

jap

Legend
No one is going to magically transform the guy. Anytime you change mechanics it takes something like 10,000 repetitions to ensure that the change is a permanent, unconscious mechanic change - i.e. that the muscle memory takes over and the player doesn't have to consciously think about it. If not, you see the flaw come back when the player is under pressure.

But, but, but Tim has God on his side! Surely, a miracle will happen!!! :optimist:

V3

Hall of Fame
Heck I'd be good with a second round QB like Tajh Boyd or Miller. Not sure exactly where those two guys are slated to be drafted but I like'em. The Matthews guy sounds good, too.

Just. Don't. Reach.

There is a big chance that whoever we pick at QB will wash out. Just saying...

These later round QB's are very tricky.

The article says Boyd is slated for the 4th round. I'm not sure if that's true or if it'll stay that way come draft day, but just letting you know.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think saying it is critical is over hyping it but I would not mind Murray in the 5th

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Hardest thing to do is draft a developmental QB mid to late rounds. Ouija board stuff.
All these guys have flaws. If they had less flaws they would be drafted higher.

The question is if the Rams grab one of these guys can they mitigate the damages enough for the guy to be effective. Fit the scheme in other words.
They key thing is Accuracy, you can find that and the guy has a chance.

Here's a name to watch Brett Smith from Wyoming. The guy can play and is accurate for where he will be drafted. The thing with him like others in the mid rounds is he has to sit for a year at least just to learn.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
David Fales works for me. I think he can be had in the 4th as well.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Why do we need a developmental QB any time soon though? Either we decide Sam's the man and lock him up under contract and we might aswell roll with veterans for the next 10 years as backup. He's 26 years old.

Or - we decide Sam isn't the guy, and draft a franchise QB...again.
The added benefit of a legit backup is that eventually his value outweighs his spot on the roster. If you take a guy in the 3rd or later and he shows well in preseason or spot duty, you can turn him into a 1st round pick via trade later down the line. It's worked like gang busters for New England and Philly, hell, even Seattle were able to net a couple picks for Matt Flynn.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Why do we need a developmental QB any time soon though? Either we decide Sam's the man and lock him up under contract and we might aswell roll with veterans for the next 10 years as backup. He's 26 years old.

Or - we decide Sam isn't the guy, and draft a franchise QB...again.
The same reason you take Aaron Rogers when you have Brett Favre.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
But Brett was nearing the end of his career, and they saw something in Rodgers that others didn't (i.e. elite quality). I see the benefit in having a good backup - but in this league if you lose your starter you are toast!