Finding Developmental Qb Critical For St. Louis Rams In 2014 Nfl Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

Every team dreams of finding a late-round gem at the most important position in team sports today, but very few have been able to follow the Tom Brady mold in recent years. The St. Louis Rams currently have the complete opposite as their signal caller in former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford, but his ginormous cap number and uncertain injury situation heading into 2014 casts some doubt on the quarterback depth chart for the upcoming season. That’s why finding a mid-to-late round QB with potential would be a wise investment for general manager Les Snead this coming May in the 2014 NFL Draft.

One place the Rams could look is to Clemson’s Tajh Boyd who could be available into the fourth round if quarterbacks aren’t pushed up the board to far. Boyd’s physical limitations are obvious at just 6-foot-1, but at 225-pounds he has the frame to stand up to the punishment the NFL will dole out. He shows terrific anticipations on many of his throws, but his accuracy isn’t always as consistent as some would like. Coaching at the next level could help cure some of those issues along with an elongated delivery that could be problematic in the professional ranks. He has all of the tools to be successful, however, and is mobile enough to make plays with his legs as well.

Similarly to Boyd, Georgia’s Aaron Murray has questions about his size at just 6-foot-1, but what really causes concern with him is his less stout build at 208-pounds. Obviously the primary worry with Murray currently is his torn ACL which he is reportedly rehabbing feverishly, but there’s no telling if he will be ready by the time training camp rolls around. Adding another signal-caller to the roster with a bum knee isn’t exactly helping out the depth chart much. Still, Murray has plenty of potential with a gunslinger attitude that allows him to deliver the ball from multiple angles and still make accurate throws. Consistency is a worry with him as well, but in the fifth round the Rams could do worse than to take a flyer on him.

One player that could be had in the sixth or even seventh round is Cornell’s Jake Mathews. This kid came into the season with many believing he has what it takes to make it in the league, and his play in 2013 did nothing to discourage that. Mathews has solid footwork and great throwing mechanics, but some worry that the level of competition he faced aided his development as a player. At 6-foot-3 224-pounds it’s plain to see that he has the prototypical build of a QB that could excel in any conference in the country, but operating primarily out of the shotgun in college will worry some scouts as well. His mental acuity is certainly not up for debate coming out of the Ivy League, but Mathews will need to show that he has the ability to process defenses quickly and make good reads in order to cut it in the NFL.

These are just three guys that could interest the Rams this May when the draft rolls around, but any of them would make a terrific developmental project behind Bradford. Current backup Kellen Clemens’ contract expires this offseason, and he will be 31 year of age by the time next season takes place so it remains to be seen if he’s in the team’s future plans.

What isn’t up for debate is the fact that the Rams need a signal-caller to groom this offseason and into the future in case Bradford’s knee doesn’t recover properly or if they simply want to move in a different direction. Franchise quarterbacks are hard to come by, and the Rams would be wise to try and develop a successor to their current version this offseason.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/...s-rams-in-2014-nfl-draft/?2Ppes2kbmYbm5dg7.99

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Heck I'd be good with a second round QB like Tajh Boyd or Miller. Not sure exactly where those two guys are slated to be drafted but I like'em. The Matthews guy sounds good, too.

Just. Don't. Reach.

There is a big chance that whoever we pick at QB will wash out. Just saying...

These later round QB's are very tricky.

Last edited by a moderator:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I don't even think we need to bother drafting a QB this year - if Sam goes down we're lost anyway and we'd get one next year in the draft instead whilst filling other holes this year....but, if Boyd is available in the 4th I'd take a flyer on him. Who knows, he could turn out great.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Heck I'd be good with a second round QB like Tajh Boyd or Miller. Not sure exactly where those two guys are slated to be drafted but I like'em. The Matthews guy sounds good, too.

Just. Don't. Reach.

There is a big chance that whoever we pick at QB will wash out. Just saying...

These later round QB's are very tricky.

With all the needs the team has to fill to get themselves to the next level, and the way Clemens played, I'd say grabbing a QB in the second IS reaching. I wouldn't even pick one in this draft simply because if the situation at QB isn't working out your not going to see a developmental guy as the QB of the future, you're going to see massive draft capital used to pick one next year. So letting Clemens finish the year is better than handing it over to a rookie who isn't pro ready.

There is great talent available at other positions in the second round, it's to valuable of a slot to spend on anything but a probable starter.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I gotta say that watching the Redskins play after RGIII was out made me want Cousins as our back-up. I'm not sure what we'd have to give the Redskins for him, but I think it might be worth it. He looks like a starter who will be buried in Washington because of Snyder's infatuation with RGIII.

I was also thinking of Aaron Murray, I still think it will take a fourth rounder to get him (even though he had the injury). We hopefully won't need him to play this year anyway and let him develop on the bench.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
With all the needs the team has to fill to get themselves to the next level, and the way Clemens played, I'd say grabbing a QB in the second IS reaching. I wouldn't even pick one in this draft simply because if the situation at QB isn't working out your not going to see a developmental guy as the QB of the future, you're going to see massive draft capital used to pick one next year. So letting Clemens finish the year is better than handing it over to a rookie who isn't pro ready.

There is great talent available at other positions in the second round, it's to valuable of a slot to spend on anything but a probable starter.

Second round may be a little high for a QB, but if Sam goes down then it's well worth it. The. again. I asked myself so many times during the Clemens run "where would we be if we had a QB step in that could really make defenses pay?" Clemens managed games but that's him at his best. Against Seattle he unraveled a bit. Teams were just stacking the box towards the end and that's what we'll see in future games if Sam goes down. Somebody has to make defenses pay for cheating up and Clemens can't do it at a rate that will back them off. We don't have a running game with a crowded line.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Two schools of thought:

Losing Sam for a game or two: stick with Clemens.

Losing Sam for an extended period: Vick or Sanchez?

A developmental guy feels like a waste. He's not going to help 2014. If Sam can't hold up we're likely looking for a premium pick QB in 2015. Again; what good is a mid round investment in this draft?

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can scratch Vick (not that I would want him) He has already stated he is not going to a team next year to be a backup.

Sanchez? Eh. But he does know the offense and has been able to take a team to the playoffs albeit on the back of a good defense.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Vick or Sanchez CGI?? Cant we do better than that? I'd rather have Clemens over any of those two!

I gotta say that watching the Redskins play after RGIII was out made me want Cousins as our back-up. I'm not sure what we'd have to give the Redskins for him, but I think it might be worth it. He looks like a starter who will be buried in Washington because of Snyder's infatuation with RGIII.

I was also thinking of Aaron Murray, I still think it will take a fourth rounder to get him (even though he had the injury). We hopefully won't need him to play this year anyway and let him develop on the bench.

Were we watching the same Cousins? He looked worse than RG3 to me which is hard to do.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Were we watching the same Cousins? He looked worse than RG3 to me which is hard to do.

Yeah, I'm not sure his "audition" went exactly the way Washington wanted. He would be a decent developmental guy, however, for someone.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Yeah, I'm not sure his "audition" went exactly the way Washington wanted. He would be a decent developmental guy, however, for someone.
I didn't see the last two game, but the games before that I thought he played well and his team let him down. Maybe they got some tape on him and figured him out

RFIP

I know this will be discussed for ever leading up to the draft but put me in the crowd of no way the Rams waste any pick in first 5 rounds on a QB. They will be going all in to win next year and won't have interest wasting any resourse on someone who will not be involved in that process.

I am curious to see if they pursue bringing back Clemons, or do they go after a better veteran back up?

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know this will be discussed for ever leading up to the draft but put me in the crowd of no way the Rams waste any pick in first 5 rounds on a QB. They will be going all in to win next year and won't have interest wasting any resourse on someone who will not be involved in that process.

I am curious to see if they pursue bringing back Clemens, or do they go after a better veteran back up?

It is a shame we never got to see what Davis could do this year.

I mean dude WAS the 2nd stringer coming into camp.

RFIP

Yes but it appears his ship has sailed for whatever reason, in the mind of Fish. Betting hes not even invited back next season.

Alan

Legend
I like the thought of Matthews. He looks like he has the physical tools, great footwork and great throwing mechanics. According to the article his only negative is his lack of competition. Exactly what you would look for in a developmental QB. Available in the 6th or 7th round? Sign him up Snisher.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, everybody knows the Rams will draft a QB this year and they will carry three on the roster. Also they will look to the 3rd or 4th round and now the question is who? As to Tajh Boyd he does offer the ability to run and IMO that will be important because they should want someone who offers something different from Bradford.

Our very own draft guru Jrry32 has offered up Wyoming's Brett Smith in his latest off season mock/draft...Smith would need far more development than Boyd and his ceiling might be higher, but might not be ready to start if called upon in 2014.

IMO the QB the Rams draft will have plenty of experience because I agree with others that if Bradford suffers another injury although I do believe they will keep Clemens they will go with the younger signal caller if it's a long term thing. Boyd iintrigues me because he might remind Fisher of Steve McNair and because he's had so much experience so he very well might just be the guy the Rams draft as our Ram Brother PhxRam suggests!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Tim. Tebow. :rofl: I am only partially kidding here. Apparently he has been putting in a ton of work and has corrected a lot of his mechanical issues. I have always liked the kid. He is a baller.

/Flame suit on

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tim. Tebow. :rofl: I am only partially kidding here. Apparently he has been putting in a ton of work and has corrected a lot of his mechanical issues. I have always liked the kid. He is a baller.

/Flame suit on
I've been tinkering with model rockets lately too. I think I'm ready to pilot one up to the Russian Space Station, Salyut 7. That way I can teach them a thing or two about how to properly distill vodka while I'm up there.