Finally happened: sick of Facebook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Another thing young people do that totally baffles me is I see them taking pictures of their food before they eat it...yep I'm officially old. And happy for it. :D
Too funny. I'm not what you would call young people and I do that all the time. I'm not sure a week goes by when @Selassie I and I aren't exchanging food pictures via text. He knows what I ate Monday night in fact. :D

I also know he had some killer looking stuffed Jalapenos on Sunday and some organic habanero sausages on Saturday.

Loves me some food photos.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
My niece sends us food pics whenever she goes out to eat....man it was nice to be young with no fear of food...:LOL:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Too funny. I'm not what you would call young people and I do that all the time. I'm not sure a week goes by when @Selassie I and I aren't exchanging food pictures via text. He knows what I ate Monday night in fact. :D

I also know he had some killer looking stuffed Jalapenos on Sunday and some organic habanero sausages on Saturday.

Cammy calls us Food-ees LOL

We're not just taking pics of PB&Js though.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
1 year later and it's gotten worse.

Since today is super Tuesday (primary votes), I've seen nothing but and endless stream of ugh....."seflies" of people pointing to their "I Voted" stickers. Since when is voting something that needs to be bragged about?

Also, what is extremely creepy is seeing random people you never, ever met or known show up on your news feed. Who are these people? People on your own friend's list "liking" or commenting on someone on THEIR friend lists. These people either a.) have no idea this happens or b.) don't care. I find both really disturbing. You have no idea who is seeing your picture, or a picture of your kids.

To me, the only thing I really use facebook for is to see the new movie trailers or movie news that come out. Then I go to youtube and watch it there. Ha.

When nearly half of the Federal budget is spent on DoD related expenditures all in the attempt to "fight for our freedoms"... That's about the only thing I don't mind. If the narcissicistic masses need a sticker that says "I Voted" and the "attaboy" that they get from posting on social media, then fine. It's a disgrace that turnout in countries where voting can get you killed is higher than here.
Do we need to also offer the President-elect a record deal? Of all the crap on FB, which my wife is on and I'm not (well, she used my name to set up another account for FarmVille when she was addicted to that awhile back), I'm okay with the I Voted stickers.

As for most crap on FB, the world did great without it. FB has no part of my day and my day is better for it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
well, she used my name to set up another account for FarmVille when she was addicted to that awhile back

I unfriended a guy I'd known since the 70's because every post had his latest score on Farmville. Boring!

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Told the wife if I did FB, I'd have to start over with a clean slate because I never played that crap FarmVille.

She doesn't want me to delete it "in case she ever starts again". Which is a find excuse for me to never get on.

"I can't, honey. I'm only gonna do it if I delete all that old garbage and you want to save it. It's your account. So, if you keep it, I can't get on... Oh darn!"

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When nearly half of the Federal budget is spent on DoD related expenditures all in the attempt to "fight for our freedoms"... That's about the only thing I don't mind. If the narcissicistic masses need a sticker that says "I Voted" and the "attaboy" that they get from posting on social media, then fine. It's a disgrace that turnout in countries where voting can get you killed is higher than here.
Do we need to also offer the President-elect a record deal? Of all the crap on FB, which my wife is on and I'm not (well, she used my name to set up another account for FarmVille when she was addicted to that awhile back), I'm okay with the I Voted stickers.

As for most crap on FB, the world did great without it. FB has no part of my day and my day is better for it.

IT has nothing to do with voting itself; again it was just coincidence I bumped this on super Tuesday.

And the "masses" aren't posting "selifes" to show they are some deep concerned citizens. They just want the likes. Watch come tax time. Another thing everyone is obligated to do and you'll get statuses "oh look at me, I'm an adult and taxes are finished! #yay #beinganadult blah blah blah please like my updates"

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well, my family won't even mention the word "Facebook" around me for fear of a 10 minute Lewis Black-esque rant.

I'm no fan.

And I'm not taking any person to task, this is just my take on this.

It's just that most people today really don't understand what it means to live in a democracy. And it pains me as someone who's studied history and served this country and recognizes how much blood has been spilt escaping the tyranny of monarchy and fighting off the oppression of fascism only to have modern Americans en masse abandon democracy ... As if there should be a Government app and then no one should have to think about governing anymore...

Are selfies with I Voted stickers likely the last embers of our dying democracy? Yeah, probably so. Still, cuz I have kids I'll take the crappy over the dead because the alternatives are Idiocracy, revolution (French style without the songs), or dystopia.

I figure a crappy, quasi-democracy is gads better than the alternatives. So, likes for everyone who actually votes. I mean, it's not like a lot of people died so we could vote in free and fair elections...oh wait...

As for folks fishing for likes... It's like the whole world has turned into teenage girls asking constantly, "do I look pretty in this?" The computer from War Games, Joshua, said it best, "the only winning move is not to play"

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I do that a lot too, but I don't always keep the pics, I just send them to a couple of people.

Especially if it's really well presented sushi, sometimes it's like art!

But I also take pics of a simple breakfast sandwich when I run down to Docs on the beach after a morning workout. The food framed with the sand and water makes for a good pic.

Check your texts, I just sent one to you LOL.

Angry Ram

Well, my family won't even mention the word "Facebook" around me for fear of a 10 minute Lewis Black-esque rant.

I'm no fan.

And I'm not taking any person to task, this is just my take on this.

It's just that most people today really don't understand what it means to live in a democracy. And it pains me as someone who's studied history and served this country and recognizes how much blood has been spilt escaping the tyranny of monarchy and fighting off the oppression of fascism only to have modern Americans en masse abandon democracy ... As if there should be a Government app and then no one should have to think about governing anymore...

Are selfies with I Voted stickers likely the last embers of our dying democracy? Yeah, probably so. Still, cuz I have kids I'll take the crappy over the dead because the alternatives are Idiocracy, revolution (French style without the songs), or dystopia.

I figure a crappy, quasi-democracy is gads better than the alternatives. So, likes for everyone who actually votes. I mean, it's not like a lot of people died so we could vote in free and fair elections...oh wait...

As for folks fishing for likes... It's like the whole world has turned into teenage girls asking constantly, "do I look pretty in this?" The computer from War Games, Joshua, said it best, "the only winning move is not to play"

Again, it's not about voting itself. Didn't you see where I put where one of my former teachers merely put "please go out and vote no matter what you believe in." ? No stupid selfie, no need or desire to get likes, etc. That's all I'm saying.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I get it.

And I'm saying that if it takes a sticker and the empty validation of a digital thumbs up icon for a person to do the most basic of their civic duties, then I'm okay making an exception because voting is too important.

Can't do mandatory voting because you get truly crazy things like in Brazil.

The dictionary should read:
pa·thet·ic
pəˈTHedik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness.
    See: U.S. Election turnouts

I agree with you in all other cases. I'm just carving out an exception for voting because voting is important not because somebody with a selfie stick thinks it's important.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's not the point. What you are saying is if I'm offended I can block it. I'm not offended. It's those people posting non stop in an effort to get "likes." (yes I'm fully aware of the irony that we including myself "like" posts here).

People posting non-stop pictures of their kids. If I happen to "like" that picture it can show up on my friend's feed showing that I liked it. The one who posted it may not know that person, and If find that extremely disturbing. Anyone could see that pic of your precious kid. The person who posted that pic is either oblivious or doesn't care about that fact. Which is also disturbing to me.

The other point is me not getting why people post things over everyday things, other than an effort to get more "likes" or to brag. Yesterday was a perfect example. Voting is something you should b/c its your duty and civic right, not to brag about it on freakin facebook by posting a selfie with your "I voted" sticker.

Last, is whenever tragedy hits, facebook becomes a herd of sheep. A barrage of status updates with "prayers" in them. I'm not against anyone's faith if you do such a thing, but it's not gonna do crap when the victims are suffering. Nepal is a shining example of this. Remember the earthquake that happened last year? All I saw was people posting "praying for Nepal" for a couple days. Then it disappeared, no one talks or cares about Nepal now. And there is no way in hell Nepal is fully recovered. The last thing on their minds is if someone posted "oh I'm praying for you" 1000 miles away with 5 likes. Please. Sometimes I want to post a status saying "I wonder if anyone is still praying for Nepal?" But then I'd be the hypocrite trying to get likes. The Paris attacks were the worse. The profile pictures with the French flag backdrop? C'mon, that is sheep mentality at it's highest. N/m the victims or figuring out why it occured, I'm gonna change my profile picture for a week and people are gonna like it, and damnit that will show the people of France we are with them!

If I'm bitching, fine. Facebook was intended to keep in touch (originally just for students) with those you can't easily see. Great concept that's been ruined by drama, bragging, and sheep mentality.

P.S., I'l give you another example. Next month when taxes are due, I guarantee that people will start updating their statuses with "I filed my taxes! #adultproblems". Yeah, well, so does the rest of the country.

-

But you can control who sees what you post. Technically if someone shares what you post, but you can even control that. There is so much control over facebook it's insane....you can make it so you can never be found by people except for those who you are friends with. Most people choose to have little control....I myself am private to the point that you can't see much unless you are my friend, only because I am a manager and have hired people.....and facebook stalked them before deciding to hire them.

Not that I have too much to hide anyway....but some people don't care...and at the end of the day, that's fine. If someone wants to get information on you, there are better ways than facebook.

People praying for Nepal? That's cool. Supporting France? That's cool too. Were Facebook bigger in 2001, other countries may have had the American Flag as a backdrop after 9/11....I think that's cool too.

If the primary goal in life is happiness, and being liked makes you happy, then why shouldn't people try to get "likes" on facebook? Sheep mentality?? Praying or doing something to show support is sheep mentality? If that's so, then we need more sheep mentality. I personally don't care for constant status updates...I ignore them. If someone constantly posts negative thoughts, I un-friend them. But between my Fiancee and I, we will soon have 7 nieces/nephews, 5 siblings and 2 sets of parents. Even though we don't live too far from any of them, it's nice to be able to show them what we're up to without calling or texting each one...especially with how crazy our lives are right now.

By your own logic, we're all terrible people. Even if your best friend was hurting, you would stop supporting him before he was 100% better. Because you aren't him. Most of the people in the world don't live in Nepal...they won't know when it's better. Showing support in the moment? That's cool. Did it make anything better or worse for Nepal? Probably not...but if it touched even one person, then it was worth it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IT has nothing to do with voting itself; again it was just coincidence I bumped this on super Tuesday.

And the "masses" aren't posting "selifes" to show they are some deep concerned citizens. They just want the likes. Watch come tax time. Another thing everyone is obligated to do and you'll get statuses "oh look at me, I'm an adult and taxes are finished! #yay #beinganadult blah blah blah please like my updates"

Also, my Fiancee and I take selfies at every cool event that we go to. We don't do that to get "likes", we do it so that our friends/families can see what we're up to.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I hate it but I can quit it....

I hate how it's just become an ego boosting forum for people to spend their lives boasting to their friends about how great their lives are. So much so that people seem to got of their way to do things just so they can upload a selfie somewhere great.

Just today I log on and I've got one friend just in Vegas on business promoting her new fitness start up, two more skiing in Banff, a couple I went to school with in the French Alps skiing and an acquaintance living it up in Hawaii. I've got updates from my buddies in Taipei and in London, and from a girl I like who works as a editor for a fashion magazine in Milan in Italy.

Once upon a time I used to think of myself as a pretty successful guy. Now when I've spent my morning running through snow trying to lose some weight i come back to the Internet to see Globetrotters inc. millionaires associated and their lifestyles.

Except I KNOW it's not really their lifestyle. I know these people! The richest most successful (and actually most happy and best people I know) never post an "update" on Facebook except for the odd family photo for when they finally manage to get home with the family at holidays. They (and I) are too busy getting on with life rather than trying to document it and spin it for the best PR effect...

It's like people's entire lives become a round of content creation rarer than "life".

Angry Ram

But you can control who sees what you post. Technically if someone shares what you post, but you can even control that. There is so much control over facebook it's insane....you can make it so you can never be found by people except for those who you are friends with. Most people choose to have little control....I myself am private to the point that you can't see much unless you are my friend, only because I am a manager and have hired people.....and facebook stalked them before deciding to hire them.

Sure, and mine is like that. But others? I don't think you realize how many people don't take care of their privacy. They either are oblivious or don't care. They simply have no idea who is seeing their precious kid.

People praying for Nepal? That's cool. Supporting France? That's cool too. Were Facebook bigger in 2001, other countries may have had the American Flag as a backdrop after 9/11....I think that's cool too.

I'm not against supporting. I'm against changing a status that everyone does to get likes. Hell, I'm not even against it, I just get annoyed like no other at that. Also, that is only part of why I am sick of facebook. It's the other stuff too, drama, constant barrage of people's kids I never know, showing pictures of ultrasounds, and fishing for likes with vague, dramatic status updates i.e. "I AM SO SICK OF PEOPLE TELLING ME WHAT I CANNOT DO. WATCH ME!" or "Who are YOU to judge me?" or my personal favorite "UGH".

If the primary goal in life is happiness, and being liked makes you happy, then why shouldn't people try to get "likes" on facebook? Sheep mentality?? Praying or doing something to show support is sheep mentality? If that's so, then we need more sheep mentality. I personally don't care for constant status updates...I ignore them. If someone constantly posts negative thoughts, I un-friend them. But between my Fiancee and I, we will soon have 7 nieces/nephews, 5 siblings and 2 sets of parents. Even though we don't live too far from any of them, it's nice to be able to show them what we're up to without calling or texting each one...especially with how crazy our lives are right now.

What you are describing is what facebook was intended for. And I have no problem with that. Hell, I do what you do.

But, it absolutely is sheep mentality to put "prayers" in your status or changing your profile picture b/c everyone is doing that right after a tragic event. I said numerous times I'm not attacking faith or beliefs, I just have my doubts they are actually legit caring for said events and just wanting the likes. Are they doing something more? If they are, awesome!. Again tho, I got my doubts.

I personally didn't put "prayers" in my status after Nepal and didn't change my picture to the French flag after Paris. Does that make me a person that doesn't care? No, it just means I don't have some need to get likes.

By your own logic, we're all terrible people. Even if your best friend was hurting, you would stop supporting him before he was 100% better. Because you aren't him. Most of the people in the world don't live in Nepal...they won't know when it's better. Showing support in the moment? That's cool. Did it make anything better or worse for Nepal? Probably not...but if it touched even one person, then it was worth it.

Nah, I'm not implying people are terrible . I'm saying there is a mental desire to get likes, which I can't stand. Whether it's after a tragic event or posting long-winded status updates it's gotten ridiculous. That's what this post is about.