Finally happened: sick of Facebook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
To the maximum extent possible (and I know it's impossible in this post "1984" world) I like to be a ghost on the inter webs. My wife is active on FB and since we went to high school together we have a lot of friends in common. So, she keeps me informed if there is any dire social news in need of my attention...such as one of my buddies having a car breakdown. Or, more likely, Mike Carter just completed his P90X! This website is just about the total extent of my social media activity.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Off 'off topic' - thinking of buying a VW Golf. Kinda scares me that youre tranny went out in a new Passat.
Apparently it is pretty rare. They had a seal problem with about 30,000 Passats but that wasn't the case with mine. Just a mechanical failure. I will say though, I liked my 2002 Passat better in that it was just built more sturdy and felt like a German car. This Passat feels more like most mid sized cars.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I got off of FB a while ago after my wife's distant family started acting like petty douchebags and bitches. I don't give a shit that your boss is an asshole and you hate your cousin's boyfriend. And I definitely don't care about how you feel about people who feel a certain way about other people. STFU already, the lot of ya. I used to keep it in order to keep in touch with my own kids, but I rediscovered an older technology that surpasses the technology of facebook. It's called a telephone.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They call it Fake Book for a reason. That is where people that want everyone to think their lives are so perfect and they are perfect post things that are not true or are so trumped up that everyone around them responds by saying, "I wish I was you" or "Your life is so perfect" Etc.

I have an account and so does my wife. Amy mostly puts stuff up of the kids and the funny things they do and say. It is a way for family to get to experience it all. I look at it every now and then and usually get sickened by the people that I know on there that are all bullshit and putting BS posts up to make them look more intelligent or more altruistic. I usually make snide remarks that piss them off.

I find I am happier if I stay off of FakeBook. I also like to accidentally leave my phone at home too. It is a necessity these days but I hate being so available. I used to lose myself in what I was doing for hours on end. Everytime the phone rings it is back to reality. I almost want to go back in time before technology came along. I found more pleasure in simpler things. Now my already ADD afflicted brain has even more options to keep me from focusing on anything worthwhile long enough to finish something.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh and here's another group of people: the ones that are in frats/sororities that constantly post and invite everyone to every event on their friends list.

I don't live anywhere near your town, and you never talk to me. And I should just come to your frat event? No.

Also those same frats/sororities show off their community service and act holier than thou. You do community service and donate to charities b/c you want to, not b/c you want "likes"

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
To the maximum extent possible (and I know it's impossible in this post "1984" world) I like to be a ghost on the inter webs. My wife is active on FB and since we went to high school together we have a lot of friends in common. So, she keeps me informed if there is any dire social news in need of my attention...such as one of my buddies having a car breakdown. Or, more likely, Mike Carter just completed his P90X! This website is just about the total extent of my social media activity.
This^^^^
Wife is 0n all the time and she made a page for people who want to check on my treatment status ,and I will admit it saves me saying the same thing to several people .
I don't for the life of me know why people want that much info about themselves, especially the vacation before or during.

Story: wife had some severe ab pain said so on FB friend who is a gastro ent doc diagnosed her with gall bladder disease got in the hosp post haste so I guess like anything it has some good points but in general talking Rams is all I do .
I know for some it's hard to believe I don't even argue politics on other boards

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Off 'off topic' - thinking of buying a VW Golf. Kinda scares me that youre tranny went out in a new Passat.

I'm confused about exactly what happened to the tranny. And why did Stu have a tranny in his car? Does his wife know he was with a tranny?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Those were the days. The PB era (pre-beepers).

Hahaha yup.......do you remember saying to a friend as you were rolling around on a Friday night "hey pull over there's a phone booth I have to make a call, got a quarter on ya?"

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hahaha yup.......do you remember saying to a friend as you were rolling around on a Friday night "hey pull over there's a phone booth I have to make a call, got a quarter on ya?"
Shonuffdo. And then pulling over only to find the phone is all fucked up so you gotta roll to another one?

Athos

Legend
Also those same frats/sororities show off their community service and act holier than thou. You do community service and donate to charities b/c you want to, not b/c you want "likes"

hahahahah. Segway. Welcome to the "real world," of shallow motherfuckers who flout mommy and daddy's money as if it is there own. Frats and sororities are nothing but promoters of underage drinking (in the worst of ways, the least of which is their obsession with cheap, nasty beer, the worst being rampant acts of unreported rape and sexual assault and girls having themselves passed around like a 2-cent gutter slut to any that still has a hard dick).

Went to one party freshman year. No idea why. Never returned. Truly disturbing the shit I saw.

Funny thing though, actually sort of 'dated' a sorority gal. Well, if you call the mainly month long at most relationships I had in college 'dating.' Though, she was a different breed. Into gaming and dirty jokes. :love:

Kinda wish I hadn't fucked that thing up so early in the game. :cry:

---

Blech though. I get SOOO many fucking updates about people's relationships, babies, etc.

It's kinda creepy honestly. People plastering images of their kids all over. But seriously, I have so many friends getting married and getting knocked up and aren't even 25 yet. I sit there and wonder, fuck.....there go your prime years and fun and travel without kids to worry about. W/e floats your boat, but half those fuckers don't even know what love is imo. And yesh, to marry that young and not have it work out.

fearsomefour

Legend
I joined FB to find three old friends, I found them (which was cool) and have never gone back on.
Most people I know my age (40s) are on it....a lot of the youngsters have moved on to other things.
It drives me crazy.
I was up at a ski resort by a lake this past weekend and saw 4 people taking pictures of their beer with the lake in the background.....enough, who cares?
I think it really feeds the "bumper sticker" mentality of our culture.
Its easy to post something or hashtag something and feel like you have done something to make the world better.
You have not.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
hahahahah. Segway. Welcome to the "real world," of shallow motherfuckers who flout mommy and daddy's money as if it is there own. Frats and sororities are nothing but promoters of underage drinking (in the worst of ways, the least of which is their obsession with cheap, nasty beer, the worst being rampant acts of unreported rape and sexual assault and girls having themselves passed around like a 2-cent gutter slut to any that still has a hard dick).

Went to one party freshman year. No idea why. Never returned. Truly disturbing the crap I saw.

Funny thing though, actually sort of 'dated' a sorority gal. Well, if you call the mainly month long at most relationships I had in college 'dating.' Though, she was a different breed. Into gaming and dirty jokes. :love:

Kinda wish I hadn't fucked that thing up so early in the game. :cry:

---

Blech though. I get SOOO many freaking updates about people's relationships, babies, etc.

It's kinda creepy honestly. People plastering images of their kids all over. But seriously, I have so many friends getting married and getting knocked up and aren't even 25 yet. I sit there and wonder, freak.....there go your prime years and fun and travel without kids to worry about. W/e floats your boat, but half those fuckers don't even know what love is imo. And yesh, to marry that young and not have it work out.

I don't want this to turn into an anti frat/sorority thread, b/c I know some people that are genuinely good . It's the uptight douches that post their stuff all over FB.

And yeah, all those babies in 12 years or so are gonna realize their pics are all over the internet.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Unfortunately, I remember when it was a dime. :shades:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Those were the days. The PB era (pre-beepers).

At first I thought you meant Pabst Blue Ribbon days. That was my beer of choice back then. :sneaky:

Now I drink all kinds of fancy and expensive micro brews because the information age has educated me about beer. I used to get a case of PBR for 12 bucks and was happy because I didn't know any better.

Now I pay 40.00 for Brown Ales and Double Chocolate stouts. My phone bill used to be fifteen bucks. I didn't have a bill for Internet cable and the TV was cheap because it had less than fifty channels.

I do love the available information and entertainment, but it comes at a cost, and I don't just mean financially. Too many people can just sit around filling their heads all day without really doing anything constructive, or physical. Entertainment rules many people's lives. So much so that they are posting on Facebook all day while at work and ignoring duties. Kids aren't out exploring, people aren't verbally communicating, and simple things like gardening are becoming less and less common.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Oh and here's another group of people: the ones that are in frats/sororities that constantly post and invite everyone to every event on their friends list.

I don't live anywhere near your town, and you never talk to me. And I should just come to your frat event? No.

This one is sickening to me too. I see individuals that I know personally that will go out of their way to help someone once or twice a year and then post it on FB. The rest of the time they are selfish jerks. But none of their FB followers get to see that side. You don't help people so you can tell people about it. I've been helping people my entire life. I don't go blabbing to everyone about helping my neighbor who has MS or snow blowing all the old ladies driveways around me, or fixing their leaky sinks and garage door, etc. You list your volunteer and community service on your resume, not Social media.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Smart Man! You don't want to know what they're doing with all of that behavior data anyway, it'll turn your stomach.

I want to know. Gotta good link explaining some of it?

I notice that sites that I have purchased items from now come up on every site I view. Not sure how that works. Sounds like site owners are being bypassed for advertising dollars. Either way it is a bit unsettling to me.

Athos

Legend
Okay, there's honestly one thing that has really made me consider just stopping anything with FB and that's hyperlinked race-bait.

But my friends, or rather, one friend, who is a POC.

I don't really know what Salon is (my hatred of anything journalism related these days stops me from bothering learning all the new "reporting" websites) but each and every article I see shared has an agenda, usually including "white mediocrity."

It's all a bit funny since we have a Kanye West thread going on here, as that was what the article was about. Basically defending but not defending West being a super douche at yet another awards ceremony. Not that I even take the Grammy's seriously anyway but....

Seriously though.

http://www.salon.com/2015/02/17/kan...he_real_story_behind_beck_beyonce_and_snl_40/

Tired of poorly written, poorly researched, basically indirect "white shaming" like that popping up on my feed all the time. When, really, in the entertainment industry, it's mediocrity vs. mediocrity and what style of mediocrity sells the best. Beyonce. Kanye. Swift. All mediocre.

The crux of destroying that type of article is flipping it all around. Beyonce wins, but some white artist rushes on stage to denounce that win and say, someone, a white artist, deserves it more. Be career fucking suicide.

Racism exists. Minorities are under represented, etc. But "white shaming" or slamming everything as quality POC vs. "white mediocrity" really gets no one anywhere.

Fucking FB. Made me spend 2 hours I didn't want to spend on stupid BS.

Maybe I should be thinking about ditching FB as well.