Final Quarter of the Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Wow - that was an ugly 3rd quarter. But here we go onward. Lets go with some direction.

The 4th quarter of this year has to be about 2016 - cause it sure isn't about this year anymore.
Player development - and analysis is what these last 4 games are all about. There are a lot of offseason decisions that need to be made - so lets call this an early look at the 2016 preseason.

QB: I think its clear at this point - they are trying to protect Mannion. I'm sure they would like to give him a look - but they have to think about him as an asset. Forget winning and losing at this point - is it good for him to start right now?

They don't seem to want him to go to him this week.
Next week is a short week - we play TNF against the Bucs.
The week after that is IN Seattle - not the best environment for a first start.
The last week in in San Fran. Its only one week - but thats probably the Mannion start right there. On the road - against another team who is just ready to let the season end.

No matter how they plan on doing it - a much better chunk than just #2 reps should be going Mannion's way in practice. I know Case probably needs every rep he can get himself, but we have to start to unwrap Mannion at some point to get a peek at what he can do.

RB: Gurley got 9 carries yesterday - and I don't think he should get many more than that in any of the remaining games. Sure, our fantasy teams' playoff runs will be crushed, but its time to gently shut him down and get him ready for next year.

I'd let Mason get more action and consider bringing up Brown from the PS and letting him get some game action on both the O and on special teams. Bennie can be eased out as well - we know he is a keeper.

WR: More Marquez. With the loss of Bailey, there isn't much tinkering to do here. I'd like to see as much Quick as I can - and he needs to know he is auditioning here. Tavon needs to get more targets. We know we can use him in the run game, lets get him more comfortable as a receiver. Lets cut Welker - he has been fine - but let him sign on with a contender - if he is going to risk his brain out there, let it be for something more than a weekly check.

TE: Less Cook - a lot less. More Cunningham. I'd also like to see some 6 OL formations out there - and by some, I mean a lot of them.

OL: If Havenstein is playing hurt - then shut him down. Continuity be damned at this point - we don't have any anyway. I like the fact that most of our rookies were able to see live action - would like to see Battle get a little action, as well - although I'm sure it might get ugly (how much worse can it get?)

On D: Shut down Quinn - just be done with it. Anyone on that D who is playing hurt can hit the spa and stay there. Lets see more Mo Alexander, more Cody Davis, definitely more Hager, more Bates. You have to let AD99 keep playing - but don't overwork him at all. Keep a healthy rotation going all along the line with lots of Longacre, Trinca-Pasat, etc mixed in.

Coaching:

This offseason, Fisher made a choice between Cigs and Boras. We have 4 games left - let Boras take a run at playcalling. Lets get some other coaches involved in the game plan - Garcia, Weinke - speak up if you have something to add. Flip the coaches room on its head - and lets find out who on this staff knows how to gameplan for an opponent. Whoever was in charge in the first 3 quarters of the season needs to sit out the 4th quarter, so to speak.

On Snead: I have said time and time again that I would bring him back and let him hire his own coach. But someone posed the question of whether we want him choosing the next QB for us. Snead traded for Foles. Snead traded for Case. Snead inked Foles to an extension in the preseason. Maybe Snead needs to be shown the door with Fisher after all.