Film Room TJ Watt

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was a pretty enjoyable watch. I would not mind seeing us land him with our 2nd round pick. Add some weight and get some tutelage from Wade and this guy could be a tremendous player.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Glad you shared. It's a great breakdown. What was fun for me is that every time he'd describe a play before it happened, I knew what play it would be because I've watched him closely as well (especially those two games). It feels good to know that you're seeing the right things.

I'm in total agreement with Kyle. I'm glad he could point out some of the nuanced things that I wasn't able to explain nearly as well as he did. Mentally, he's a polished player.

What I see is a kid who can be absolutely special as he matures physically and grows into his body. The power game isn't there yet, but I think he has a frame that will allow him to grow from about 245 to around 260. Watt is one of my favorite players in this draft. I think he'd fit really well for us in Wade's scheme.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wade would find a way for this kid to succeed as he grows into his body. Allowing him to continue to harness all of those technical skills as he works into the power he can harness.

I saw a couple things that made me know that he's coming from tight end. One being how he'll bate olineman with changes of speed. He'll start off the line of scrimmage a little slow to bate the tackle/guard and then explode. This can be seen as a negative and a positive. But it makes me think of a route runner, a guy who has control over his speed and can read the small things while making adjustments.

I found an interview a few weeks ago with TJ and he's talking about specific techniques. It was pretty awesome hearing him explaining it. He certainly has a high football IQ, with a brother that he can lean on. From the interview he was talking about how you'll attack an offensive lineman and explode all the way through you're arms like a dead lift. The guy certainly has some great hand usage, and is great at attacking half the man.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Glad you shared. It's a great breakdown. What was fun for me is that every time he'd describe a play before it happened, I knew what play it would be because I've watched him closely as well (especially those two games). It feels good to know that you're seeing the right things.

I'm in total agreement with Kyle. I'm glad he could point out some of the nuanced things that I wasn't able to explain nearly as well as he did. Mentally, he's a polished player.

What I see is a kid who can be absolutely special as he matures physically and grows into his body. The power game isn't there yet, but I think he has a frame that will allow him to grow from about 245 to around 260. Watt is one of my favorite players in this draft. I think he'd fit really well for us in Wade's scheme.
Which position would you forecast as his Watts best post as the 2017 Rams defense....the ROLB'er Quick/Ware post or what was Josh Forrest/ Von Miller's LOLB'er post?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which position would you forecast as his Watts best post as the 2017 Rams defense....the ROLB'er Quick/Ware post or what was Josh Forrest/ Von Miller's LOLB'er post?

I think he'd play SOLB here. Which seems odd because they warn against that on the video, but Wade's discussion of his scheme assuages all my fears in regards to that. In the video where he breaks down his techniques, he discusses how he lines guys up differently based on their skill-set. He'd likely have Watt line up wider to the TE to protect him until his frame and power game develop more.

Quinn will definitely be the WOLB in this scheme.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Watt has natural football instincts, which you can't coach into a player, would be great if the Rams picked him up, but I'm not sure he'll be available when we pick tbh.

As soon as his frame fills out, he'll be even more dangerous...