Film review of the rams passing offense from game 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I went through the All-22. Don't agree with his conclusion. Keenum made a lot of bad reads in that game. In fact, I strongly disagree with his analysis on Plays #2 and #3. Keenum made a horrible read on play #3. The 49ers dropped 3 guys into zone coverage right into the middle of the field. Austin running the slant took a 4th defender into that area. Keenum trying to force the ball into an area where there are 4 defenders lurking is a horrible decision. Look at Kenny Britt at the top of the screen. He has a 1-on-1 match-up and gets a great outside release. Keenum should have thrown a fade towards the sideline to negate the single high safety shaded to that side of the field. Is it an easy throw? No. But it's a throw starting caliber NFL QBs are expected to make.

On Play #2, he identifies the wrong guy. Keenum had no business taking the sack there and dumping it off to Benny isn't the right call. Watch Kenny Britt the entire play. He has inside position and separation. That's a 6'3" 220 pound WR. Keenum had a window to throw through as well. That's a ball he has to zip in to Britt to allow Britt to use his inside position and protect himself from a big hit from the safety. Again, not an easy throw but it's a throw that starting NFL QBs are expected to make. It's not what I'd call a challenging throw. You just put mustard on the ball and let your WR use his size and positioning to make the grab.

There were quite a few other plays where I felt Keenum made the wrong read or was late on his throw.

I will say that I do agree there were some bad routes in this game. That route by Quick on the comeback was horrendous.

There's also a play he didn't show. It was that 3 yard dump-off on 3rd and 9 to Quick in the 3rd Quarter. Tavon Austin ran a corner route on the play. The 49ers had their single-high safety rotate at the very last minute by bailing out of the box. This led him to be late getting over the top of the play. Austin had nothing but green grass in front of him if Keenum would have lofted the ball up and let him run under it.

It's frustrating to see so many plays where Keenum could have hit a big play if he went deep, but he settled for a safer pass.

EDIT: Adding pictures to show what I'm talking about:
https://s22.postimg.io/ffbfatmpd/Keenum_1.png
https://s22.postimg.io/tvyopec6p/Keenum_3.png
https://s22.postimg.io/rso9hqcdt/Keenum_2.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah that was a good read. I don't agree with all his conclusions, but wanted to total things up below as it were, in order to demonstrate the obvious:

First play reviewed Tavon is not really an option because he's covered. As usual the short comeback negates his speed since the DB has help over the top and is expecting it. Looks like SCHEME is to blame.

Second play the line didn't pick up the stunt correctly, however the outlet to the back was there for an outside shoulder throw. Top QBs would get it out, this is why playing with a backup is so difficult. QB IS AT FAULT here, this is a big boy league, gotta be able to get it out quick and on target to the outlet on the blitz.

Third play diagnosis is all wrong IMO. Feeding the ball to Tavon based on the pre-snap look was idiotic. Looks to me like Case read that the LBs were coming, and tried to get the ball to him as the outlet. Had the LBs come it would have worked, although the safety might have killed Tavon which is why he changed his course I think.. Regardless, however, where Case should have gone with the ball was the left sideline, where he had the matchup and separation at three yards!!!! That one was all ON THE QB. All Case. You're talking potential TD versus possession change at midfield.

Fourth play the throw was late, all Case once again. He also threw a terrible ball, which is dangerous on that type of route where it's critical you not only keep it low (which he did) but put it on the receiver (which he did not). Kind of ball that can get tipped and intercepted. But again, it is ON THE QB.

Fifth play is where Case should have been pulled man. Seriously, it makes me so effin angry that the guy was left in there. He had a 100% TD to Tavon but elected for the safe throw to Quick. And of course Quick effs it up. But it should never have gone to Quick. A starting QB, hell even a backup QB would throw the ball to the guy slicing deep with green in front of him. Another mistake ON THE QB.

Sixth play is the Havenstein whiff. That one's ON THE OL. That said, Tavon is wide open right on the other side of the OL for the early half of the route, but I won't blame Case there since seeing a guy comin in like that just wrecks things.

Seventh play GRob gets faked out by the blitz threat and leaves Higbee alone on a mismatch. ON THE OL.

Eight play Case is late to the TE with the ball and it gets picked. This is the kind of play that, in a game, gets a QB an early shower. Absolutely bush league man, the type of throw a rookie would make, or a guy who has no right to be playing starting QB. ON THE QB.

Ninth play Case has the TE open but misses his window, and dumps it in the vicinity of Tavon due to the rush. ON THE QB.

Tenth play Niners bring it and get a runner through, but of course Case misses the window on an open Kendricks yet again, then feels the rush and can't make the throw to the open RB. Not gonna get on the OL here, it is the responsibility of the QB to get it out. ON THE QB.

Eleventh play is all on Britt. First he made things hard on himself, then he dropped the pass. ON THE WR.

So of the 11 worst plays from that game, 7 were directly attributable to Case Keenum and of course included the two plays that resulted in interceptions.

Of the remaining 4, a couple were on the OL. One was on Britt. And one was scheme.

Now of course we can all watch those clips and come to slightly different conclusions overall, but it is clear where the problems primarily lied. And don't even get me started on how Fisher elected to not pull his boy Case.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Second play the line didn't pick up the stunt correctly, however the outlet to the back was there for an outside shoulder throw. Top QBs would get it out, this is why playing with a backup is so difficult. QB IS AT FAULT here, this is a big boy league, gotta be able to get it out quick and on target to the outlet on the blitz.

Telling ya, Britt is the man on that play. Point of having a big WR is to exploit their size when they have position. Keenum has a clear window to Britt for 15 to 20 yard gain. Gotta put some juice on the ball, but it's throw that has to be made.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I went through the All-22. Don't agree with his conclusion. Keenum made a lot of bad reads in that game. In fact, I strongly disagree with his analysis on Plays #2 and #3. Keenum made a horrible read on play #3. The 49ers dropped 3 guys into zone coverage right into the middle of the field. Austin running the slant took a 4th defender into that area. Keenum trying to force the ball into an area where there are 4 defenders lurking is a horrible decision. Look at Kenny Britt at the top of the screen. He has a 1-on-1 match-up and gets a great outside release. Keenum should have thrown a fade towards the sideline to negate the single high safety shaded to that side of the field. Is it an easy throw? No. But it's a throw starting caliber NFL QBs are expected to make.

On Play #2, he identifies the wrong guy. Keenum had no business taking the sack there and dumping it off to Benny isn't the right call. Watch Kenny Britt the entire play. He has inside position and separation. That's a 6'3" 220 pound WR. Keenum had a window to throw through as well. That's a ball he has to zip in to Britt to allow Britt to use his inside position and protect himself from a big hit from the safety. Again, not an easy throw but it's a throw that starting NFL QBs are expected to make. It's not what I'd call a challenging throw. You just put mustard on the ball and let your WR use his size and positioning to make the grab.

There were quite a few other plays where I felt Keenum made the wrong read or was late on his throw.

I will say that I do agree there were some bad routes in this game. That route by Quick on the comeback was horrendous.

There's also a play he didn't show. It was that 3 yard dump-off on 3rd and 9 to Quick in the 3rd Quarter. Tavon Austin ran a corner route on the play. The 49ers had their single-high safety rotate at the very last minute by bailing out of the box. This led him to be late getting over the top of the play. Austin had nothing but green grass in front of him if Keenum would have lofted the ball up and let him run under it.

It's frustrating to see so many plays where Keenum could have hit a big play if he went deep, but he settled for a safer pass.

EDIT: Adding pictures to show what I'm talking about:
https://s22.postimg.io/ffbfatmpd/Keenum_1.png
https://s22.postimg.io/tvyopec6p/Keenum_3.png
https://s22.postimg.io/rso9hqcdt/Keenum_2.png

Those pictures make feel ill. The Rams need a qb who looks down the fucking field and gets the ball out the right fucking time and hits the receiver in his fucking hands. Fuck this shit.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Keenum really sucked in that game. He has a weak arm but he had a weak brain in that game too. How does this happen? I would rather have had Goff learning and making mistakes instead of Keenum wasting an opportunity.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Those pictures make feel ill. The Rams need a qb who looks down the freaking field and gets the ball out the right freaking time and hits the receiver in his freaking hands. freak this crap.

We have him, but he was wearing street clothes at that game.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
So basically, we absolutely did have routes going down field. And, our WRs were getting open. It just comes down to our shit QB play?

Interesting. Sounds like the last 5 fucking years.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Thanks for all the insights, guys. I too, am not a film junkie, but my observations:
  • Our OL played pretty poorly. Especially the right side. Hopefully Havensteins struggles can be written off to- first game back. Wichman and Brown were supposed to be bright spots. Were these guys not prepared for stunts?
  • Wideouts seemed to run lazy routes. And/or the route trees lack imagination. It seemed many times our receiver would have inside or outside position, then break TOWARD the defender, then just run along side them!! Did anyone else observe this? I realize a route is set but: 1. Aren't there any receiver reads? 2. It seemed at times the defender knew the route as if to say to the receiver, "follow me!" 3. There seems to be no "find an open spot in between coverage" leeway for the receivers. Thus they become these unthinking zombies out there, even when there are opportunities to get open. 4. There are no real "cuts". How does a receiver gain separation without making a cut? I long for those crisp Isaac Bruce double moves, then -boom- the ball is there as he makes his second cut.
  • Keenum: Mixed bag. Mostly bad though. Missed a lot of seem routes that could have been 20 yard chunks. I seriously am considering nick-naming him "Shaggy" for actually admitting, out loud, to seeing ghosts. Then he tosses Ray Ray a Scooby snack. No Case, Ray Ray didn't come back as a ghost. We just cut his ass.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So basically, we absolutely did have routes going down field. And, our WRs were getting open. It just comes down to our crap QB play?

Interesting. Sounds like the last 5 freaking years.
THIS! Big time QB's transform teams. Transform O Lines and transform WR's/TE's. No pressure Mr Goff ;)

a9efde899780f1e8c4da98b204facf40f699e4f3ccadb37cd18429286fc9e3c7.jpg

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
THIS! Big time QB's transform teams. Transform O Lines and transform WR's/TE's. No pressure Mr Goff ;)

a9efde899780f1e8c4da98b204facf40f699e4f3ccadb37cd18429286fc9e3c7.jpg
Exactly. Everyone knows the Packers are an 8-8 team without Rodgers.

Antonio Brown was an average receiver without Roethlisberger

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our young and "developing" line stunk and gave Keenum no opportunity whatsoever. Keenum did not help himself either. Horrible offensive play all around. Stack the box again with 9 guys giving Gurley no room to run. Fisher hasn't figured out how to attack defenses yet. In fairness to him... it's only been five years now. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
As bad as I thought Keenum played when you watch this it's pretty apparent our OL did a really bad job of blocking and Benny missed a couple blitz pickups as well. Plus, as mentioned some of the routes and designs weren't very good.
We HAVE to do a better job on all of this or as much as I want to see Goff even he would get killed.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wichman and Brown were supposed to be bright spots. Were these guys not prepared for stunts?
seemed a lil overwhelmed....maybe switching them wasn't good....alternating OG's???? Never seen that done b4....oh well....

@xander47 thanks for posting....

My take, Keenum was awful...now we see there were other targets... he just failed to deliver the ball...OL is supposed to give you 3 seconds...and I saw 3 seconds often...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My take, Keenum was awful...now we see there were other targets... he just failed to deliver the ball...OL is supposed to give you 3 seconds...and I saw 3 seconds often...
Well, yeah. He already said he didn't trust himself last week. Whether or not that happens again remains to be seen. Last time he played against the Seahawks, he trusted what he saw and hit Kenny on a long TD - against Sherman. So, we'll see. These video stills of QB mistakes are a bit over the top, IMO. I've made similar film reviews of Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers in the past just to show this isn't an anomaly. You'll be surprised how many plays every QB leaves on the field every week during a loss.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Telling ya, Britt is the man on that play. Point of having a big WR is to exploit their size when they have position. Keenum has a clear window to Britt for 15 to 20 yard gain. Gotta put some juice on the ball, but it's throw that has to be made.

I don't doubt that. Same deal as with the third play, where the wideout is open on a go route in the first three yards with no safety support over the top but the QB doesn't even consider it, because he thinks a blitz is coming. Makes me want to break $h!# just thinking about it.

But even with him checking out of it everyone the RB's outside shoulder was open.for what might have been a first down. I knew Case played poorly, granted, but going back reminds me just how bad it was.

Fish HAS TO have the hook ready if Case doesn't start well in this one.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our young and "developing" line stunk and gave Keenum no opportunity whatsoever.

The OL needs work on the stunts, clearly. Do they not work those things in practice? It was a stunt that almost got Goff killed vs Dallas in preseason. They also seem to freak out when extras threaten to come on the blitz, makes me think they're not totally sound on their protections rule-set for that given play.

But all that aside, the OL is not the problem in that loss. With good QB play it would have been a different game. We would have had first downs, scores, etc., and Gurley would have had more carries into a non-loaded box. The opener demonstrates the importance of QB in this league.