Fellow Fans. . . Better place to visit with Rams Gear

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Hey there guys. . .

My wife and I are talking about driving out to one of the Rams games that are relatively close to where we are, Morgantown, WV. We'll be playing Baltimore and Cincinnati in back-to-back games towards the end of November (Caught us whopping the Raiders last year).

Which place would it be safer to wear opponents gear? Which place is going to have the more respectful fans?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Haven't been to either stadium so I can't advise you but here are a couple of articles and neither stadium is on those lists so you should be fine. When I've gone to opposing stadiums I don't wander around outside before or after a game.
http://www.fromthisseat.com/index.php/blog/16755-5-of-the-most-hostile-nfl-stadiums

The Five Most Hostile NFL Stadiums
January 11, 2012

NFL stadiums can be hostile in two different ways; against the opposing team's fans and against the opposing team via volume. They often go hand in hand in this league. I have compiled a list of five NFL Stadiumsthat will make you wish you left your visiting team's jersey at home.

5. Arrowhead Stadium - Kansas City Chiefs

arrowhead.jpg

It's no secret that Arrowhead's parking lots are home to the best tailgates league-wide. That should tell you something. The fans are A) passionate/excited and B) drunk. Arrowhead's 80,000+ sea of red seats are occupied by 80,000+ red jerseys ready to literally pounce on Broncos and Raiders fans. Win or lose, this place is electric and deafening 8 days per year.

4. Gillette Stadium - New England Patriots

gillette.jpg

Bills and Jets fans- you have been warned. Boston sports fans are almost as brutal as Philadelphia sports fans. Actually, you could root for the Cleveland Browns and you're still going to get an ear full at Gillette Stadium. At a glance, you will notice the stadium is shaped similar to another hostile NFL stadium; CenturyLink Field in Seattle.

Is it the dimensions of the stadium that makes the noise level so deafening? Maybe. I'm not a scientist. But this venue is as loud as any other NFL Stadium out there. A major US city with a dominant ball club is never a good thing for visiting team's or their fans because you can guarantee there will not be an empty seat on game day.

3. Heinz Field - Pittsburgh Steelers

heinz2.bmp

No professional franchise represents a city's identity the way the Steelers do Pittsburgh. Hard-nosed, blue collar, loyal. You always hear the phrase that Steelers fans travel well. I don't think that is true, I just think the Steelers have fans all across the United States. And what would you expect when you have more Super Bowl titles than any other team in the NFL?

Heinz Field is a spectacle on the Allegheny River and is rabid when it comes to crowd volume. I have never heard of Steelers fans as being extremely hostile towards other fans but there are always the exceptions. Obtaining Steelers tickets is always a chore, this NFL stadium is guaranteed to be full for every game.

2. Lambeau Field - Green Bay Packers

lambeau.jpg

No other NFL stadium can even come close to Lambeau in terms of history or fanfare. You have a greater chance of dating a Kardashian than becoming a Packers season ticket holder. In fact, season tickets are often handed down from generation to generation and never even hit the market. Thank goodness for the secondary market websites like StubHub, EBay and Craigslist.

Packers games are not just football games but all-day events. Every Packers fan should put visiting this NFL stadium on their bucket list. The fact that the majority of the seating are bleachers is irrelevant because fans are on their feet for the entire game.

1. Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia Eagles

lincolnfinancial.jpg

A friend of mine who is an avid Eagles fan insists that this NFL stadiumhas a "prison" for drunk or violent fans on game day. Need I say more? While I have no proof that such a place exists, GQ Magazine recently voted Philadelphia sports fans as the worst in the United States. The article states that Philadelphia fans once booed Santa Claus and cheered when Michael Irvin suffered his career ending neck injury. Ouch. That's pretty harsh. In fact, if you watch the movie 'Invincible', you will be able to see an accurate portrayal of Philadelphia Eagles fans.

Their passion, however, is the reason their baseball Phillies have been able to succeed over the years. Good luck getting tickets to the Citizens Bank ballpark. Only should thick-skinned fans of any team venture into this nightmare of a stadium.

There are a few other NFL stadiums that deserve an honorable mention. The 'Black Hole' in Oakland's Alameda Coliseum is no cake walk. The venue as a whole has been rather tame since 2002. Metlife Stadium in New York also houses some rowdy fans who cheer loud for their Jets and Giants and aren't overly welcoming to visitors by any means.

They say 'Century Link Field', home of the Seahawks is the loudest but that may simple be because of the way the stadium is designed. No matter where you are in the United States or who your team is, attending an NFL game is a great way to spend your Sunday. Or Monday Night. Or sometimes Thursday Night.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/football-sports/top-10-rowdiest-fanbases-in-the-nfl/

Top 10 Rowdiest Fanbases In The NFL

As football season rapidly approaches, fans are getting pumped up and ready to enjoy America’s favorite sport, cheer on their favorite teams, and root against their most loathed rivals. Football season brings out a passion and fury in many people that other sports rarely seem to match. Maybe it’s because there are fewer games than in baseball, basketball, or hockey that pushes football fans to unleash their passion or even aggression in brief, fleeting spurts of rowdy group mania.

Almost all of us sports lovers get a bit loud and crazy in our own homes while watching the big game, but the most dedicated, excitable fans typically bring their rowdiness to the stadium. All American football teams’ fans are very vocally enthusiastic, but the following ten teams have the most notoriously unruly fans – from supporters who have even broken records with their noisy support, to football lovers who have taken their support to aggressive extremes.

10. New England Patriots

patriots.jpg

The Patriots are generally perceived as having one of the best fan bases in the NFL. It may have something to do with them winning all the time. It seems Boston is just a winning town: With the history of the Red Sox, the recent Stanley Cup title of the Bruins, and the nearly-unstoppable Patriots, these fans have a lot to cheer about.

Things rapidly get rowdy at Gillette Stadium. After The Patriots’ Super Bowl win in 2004, celebration turned tragic when the son of a state police captain was killed by a drunk driver who drove an SUV into a crowd. In 2010, the Attleboro Sun Chronicle noted that 117 Patriots fans were arrested following a Monday night football win over the New York Jets. The Foxboro Police Chief said that constituted the greatest number of arrests ever related to a single game, attributing the spike in arrests to alcohol. And of course there’s player Tom Brady, who in 2011 encouraged these displays by telling fans: “Start drinking early” to get “lubed up.”

9. New Orleans Saints

saints.jpg

After doing so terribly for so many years, New Orleans welcomed Drew Brees in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, and he quickly became the king of the town. He sparked a reinvigoration to the Saints’ fan base, putting a fire back in their belly, and they’re now one of the most loyal fanbases in American Football.

But the ‘Who Dat?’ spectacle also comes with a few problems. After fans threw half-empty beer cups at officials for a perceived bad call in a game a few years back, the NFL commission penned stricter penalties against rowdy fans, calling fan violence a growing problem. At that same game, 15 people were arrested in the Superdome for disturbing the peace, public drunkenness, and battery. It seems with great fans comes great responsibility.

8. Buffalo Bills

bills.jpg

In 2008, the Wall Street Journal reported that the Bills can hardly contain some of the worst-behaving fans in all professional sports: Buffalo doesn’t have the budget that Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Denver have to try and curb crazy fan antics by upping safety and security precautions.

Maybe it’s the cold weather, the years of not quite making it, and the booze – the latter certainly plays a part. One football fan and reporter, Sean MacDonald, went to every stadium in the league during one season and then wrote a book about his experience. The drunkest fans he encountered were from his own city: The Bills.

Assaults are common. In 2012, one person was ejected from the game and later found dead in a creek, and another was struck by a car and killed after the game. At the first Monday Night Football game following a 13 year ban due to behavior, 60 people were arrested, over 100 thrown out, and 40 were turned away at the gate for being too drunk.

7. New York Jets

jets.jpg

The New York Jets might have first faced notoriety for their fanbase in 1992, when a Jets fan slugged a female Patriots fan and ended up doing time. Since then, their rabid reputation hasn’t gotten much better.

The infamous Gate D is a ritual of harassment towards opposing fans during halftime. It once stood for “drunk and disgusting,” and attracted the attention of senators and state police. Fans would chant flurries of catcalls at passing females and would hurl plastic beer bottles if the women refused to join in. Another lawsuit in 2009 accused Jets fans of assaulting a female Patriots fan, throwing her over a row of seats, and pouring beer on the victim’s child for wearing a New England jersey.

6. Seattle Seahawks

seahawks.jpg

CenturyLink Field is the loudest place to play in the NFL, and probably the world, after the stadium hit 137.6 decibels last year in a game against the Saints. That dbA level broke the Guinness World Record for loudest sporting event, so it’s safe to say that Hawk fans are a rambunctious bunch. Even more so, after clinching their first Super Bowl win that same year.

Still, that doesn’t excuse some of their fans’ ungovernable behavior. The “12th Man,” as the Seahawks fans are called, regularly get into fights outside of the stadium with opposing team’s fans, and in January this year one fan was called out for throwing food at an injured 49er as he was being carted off of the field.

5. Cleveland Browns

browns.jpg

The Browns have always been known to have a rowdy group of fans, and there are a few infamous examples of fan behaviour that highlight why the media and nation are wary of Browns’ fanbase. The ‘Dawg Pound’ is one of the more formidable stadium sections around the country, with some of the rowdiest fans in the NFL. They sparked “Bottlegate”, an incident in 2001 where fans threw plastic bottles at Jaguar players and referees. This led to enforcement of open container rules during tailgating.

4. Pittsburgh Steelers

steelers.jpg

Steelers fans are relentless, and they’re everywhere. Easily the most traveled fanbase, it seems that they have a following stronger than the Grateful Dead when it comes to following their team to a city and invading the bleachers. They’re known to be argumentative, and enjoy liquid refreshments at their games. With their millions of Terrible Towers flickering in the wind, you might feel like you’re at a Pittsburgh home game no matter where they’re playing.

After their 2006 Super Bowl victory, fans took to the streets in one of the worst celebration riots in sports history. The fans celebrated by flipping cars, climbing statues and telephone poles, lighting fires, and throwing street signs and mailboxes.

3. San Francisco 49ers

49ers.jpeg

The 49ers have had a rowdy fanbase for quite some time now, but it seems to be getting worse. There are numerous verbal and physical assault complaints coming from visiting fans of other teams. There are regularly dozens of arrests after every home game for assault, battery, and even worse things.

In 2013, an Atlanta Falcons fan was stabbed in the neck outside of Georgia Dome after getting into an altercation with a 49ers fan. In 2011, two fans were shot and one was beaten severely after a 49ers-Raiders game. These severe incidents caused regulatory bodies to reevaluate security and safety, but so far the 49ers still remain one of the most savage fan bases in the NFL.

2. Philadelphia Eagles

eagles.jpg

Eagles fans seem to be some of the most unruly fans in sports. Maybe it’s their year-in, year-out support of a team who don’t quite win as much as they’d like. First, there was the infamous incident when fans booed and pelted Santa Claus as he rode around the stadium at halftime. Then, there’s the fact that their stadium has a jail on the lower level, and Municipal Court judges have been assigned to the stadium during games to deal with unruly fans.

In one particularly painful show of bad sportsmanship, in 1999, fans jeered Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin as he lay on the field for 20 minutes having suffered a career-ending neck injury. Eagles supporters have even been known to throw batteries, snowballs, and drinks at opposing fans and refs…

1. Oakland Raiders

raiders.jpg

Raider Nation is home to the most infamous fans in football. They dress up like Satan’s minions and tend to intimidate opposing fans in what can only be considered a Halloween parade every home game. Some have called them “all talk,” but there are plenty of stories of pre- and post-game assaults and fights that paint another picture.

They do get points for being so loyal to a team that has struggled over the last 10 years, but it seems like many Raider fans enjoy the rivalry with opposing teams a little too much. Their behavior has even been the subject of documentary films. In 2000. a San Diego Chargers fan was stabbed, and in 2003 riots broke out after the team lost the Super Bowl. While Southern and Western clubs are considered to be tamer and more mellow than their Northeast counterparts, the Raiders are certainly a noteworthy exception.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ha! I hadn't seen that before.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ha! I hadn't seen that before.
I especially like the parts where you're supposed to reiterate what already happened.

"SACK!"
"FIRST DOWN!"

That's, I guess, for all of the players on the field who missed it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting, I go to SF yearly for our game there and have never once had a problem. The fans are douchebags but nobody's ever been violent towards us.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Interesting, I go to SF yearly for our game there and have never once had a problem. The fans are douchebags but nobody's ever been violent towards us.
Wait till the Rams start kicking their buts regularly.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been going to games there for 30 years. We weren't losing all the time there :D

tempests

Hall of Fame
I think when it comes to opposing stadiums, it really depends on what section you sit in. You hear the horror stories, but the truth is, the vast majority of NFL fans, you're OK to sit and watch a game with.

I really have to add this re: Philly fans; their rep is ripped from the headlines. Those stories you're heard are true, but of a few bad apples. I've been to Lincoln Financial Field-I'd go back anytime. My experience was very positive; it's a great stadium, game day experience, the Eagles fans I've met are classy, devoted, and some of the most knowledgeable around.

The Linc doesn't have a jail, by the way; that was Veterans Stadium(which also had a courtroom and a judge).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I too remember those "Glorious Days!" Mid '60's to Early '80's!!

The good old days when we'd win in SF and lose in LA every year didn't matter who the better team was it just happened that way.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As long as you're not in Steelers gear, you'll be fine in Baltimore. I wouldn't ever call Ravens fans "Respectful" though. I know far too many of them far too well. Never been to a game in Cincy, so I couldn't say.

dcramfan

UDFA
Hey there guys. . .

My wife and I are talking about driving out to one of the Rams games that are relatively close to where we are, Morgantown, WV. We'll be playing Baltimore and Cincinnati in back-to-back games towards the end of November (Caught us whopping the Raiders last year).

Which place would it be safer to wear opponents gear? Which place is going to have the more respectful fans?

I have never been to Cinci, but have been to a Rams/Ravens game in Baltimore and while the stadium and surrounding bars are nice the fans are ignorant morons. The game I went to there, we stunk, the Ravens weren't good that year either and the game was horrible, yet fans yelled at me like I was wearing Steelers gear. I went to Philly last year and didn't hear nearly the amount of crap I hear at that Ravens game.

fearsomefour

Legend
Worst fans I have ever been around. Been to many games in Oakland too and never had any issues. I have not been to a game in SF since my son was about 10. The behavior was so over the top and moronic I would not take a child to a game in SF ever again. I did pay their new stadium a visit while it was being built however, slipped through the fence to take a leak on it.
For Christmas I want that new "fab" stadium of their to implode with it full of Whiner fans.