Feldman: Fisher proud of Rams effort given Browns' game plan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Brian Feldman
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.kmov.com/sports/Feldman-Fisher-proud-of-Rams-effort-given-Browns-game-plan-219126711.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kmov.com/sports/Feldman-Fish ... 26711.html</a>

Fisherfirstpreseasongame.jpg

(FOOTBALLStL) - Preseason games have a way of getting fans unnecessarily excited or disappointed depending on the outcome and the process by which that outcome happened. If you take the Rams 27-19 loss to the Browns Thursday night as a whole, sure, it wasn't pretty.

Too many mistakes were made. They lost the time of possession battle. But there's a lot more to these games than meets the eye. For instance, some teams game plan a heck of a lot more than the other.

And that's exactly what took place in Cleveland. While Jeff Fisher chose to be extremely vanilla in his preparation for the exhibition opener, his opponent did quite the opposite. The Browns mixed up their coverages, they blitzed on several occasions, and they even attempted to switch alignments along the defensive front to cause confusion.

That's called playing to win. The Rams chose not to go that route. They wanted to evaluate individual players while keeping their scheme private. So, all in all, Fisher was happy with how his offense did in the face of some unexpected competition.

“I thought they did a good job. Unfortunately, if we don’t put the ball on the ground I think you look at the offense and say, ‘Had a pretty good day’ considering what we were up against and the type of things we were getting out of them," Fisher said. "Sam (Bradford)’s third down completion to Chris (Givens) – there’s eight guys and gaps and overload blitzing and Sam hung in there and made the play. I thought overall the first group did well. Jake (Long) was good. Jake and Chris (Williams) did well together. I thought Scott (Wells) was good. Considering we didn’t do a lot of game planning, I thought they handled things pretty well.”

That raises this question: Why don't opposing coaches get together before preseason games and go over how much they plan on blitzing for the sake of safety?

“No there’s not, and the league frowns on it and we just play," Fisher said. "Sometimes you prepare for the worst and then if it’s a basic, vanilla-type approach defensively based on your opponent then so be it. We looked at things; we just didn’t work them on the field. We looked at a lot of tape and anticipated some things. That gave us a chance.”

shake-n-bake

Rookie
Re: Feldman: Fisher proud of Rams effort given Browns' game

This should make us excited guys. We went vanilla. They went all out. And this team adjusted. The future is bright

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

shake-n-bake testing the waters:
This should make us excited guys. We went vanilla. They went all out. And this team adjusted. The future is bright

We're excited with you bro!

Welcome to the ROD! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap: :cheers:

Don't forget to stop by the members map and pin your location. :bg:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

News Bot said:
Brian Feldman
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.kmov.com/sports/Feldman-Fisher-proud-of-Rams-effort-given-Browns-game-plan-219126711.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kmov.com/sports/Feldman-Fish ... 26711.html</a>

Fisherfirstpreseasongame.jpg

(FOOTBALLStL) - Preseason games have a way of getting fans unnecessarily excited or disappointed depending on the outcome and the process by which that outcome happened. If you take the Rams 27-19 loss to the Browns Thursday night as a whole, sure, it wasn't pretty.

That's the smartest thing written about this game.

Also the part about the Browns coming out to win versus Fishers approach of simply using games to evaluate players is important.

I've been reading around different boards and you'd get the feeling that the Rams just lost the NFC title game and a chance to go to the Super Bowl from some of the reactions.

The real, actual football season can't get here soon enough. That's when we will see the real Rams unleashed. Right now these are just scheduled practices that the NFL gets to make money on.

pcdesloge

UDFA

I can't figure out why some people are getting so torqued over this first preseason game. We are the youngest team with a ton of rookies and first year players. This isn't Fisher's first rodeo. Fisher let them play and set a baseline from which they need to improve in game situations. How much can you really tell in fewer practices that are dialed down anyway because of the latest player agreement? I love the fact the Browns game planned for this game. That just speeds up the learning curve. It also makes sense to go vanilla in early preseason, especially this year with the influx of players deemed to be playmakers on both sides of the ball. We know what to expect from the 49ers & Seahawks. They can only guess about us.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

pcdesloge losing his cherry:
I can't figure out why some people are getting so torqued over this first preseason game. We are the youngest team with a ton of rookies and first year players. This isn't Fisher's first rodeo. Fisher let them play and set a baseline from which they need to improve in game situations. How much can you really tell in fewer practices that are dialed down anyway because of the latest player agreement? I love the fact the Browns game planned for this game. That just speeds up the learning curve. It also makes sense to go vanilla in early preseason, especially this year with the influx of players deemed to be playmakers on both sides of the ball. We know what to expect from the 49ers & Seahawks. They can only guess about us.

Two new brothers in the same thread. Boy we're cooking with gas lately! :bg:

Welcome to the ROD pcdesloge! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap: :cheers:

Getting torqued is one of our strong points. We're all die hard fans who obsess about everything Rams or we we wouldn't be spending so much of our time doing this. :lol: You're certainly welcome to be our voice of reason and a moderating influence. I know I could use one. :boing: :zomg: ALthough I doubt you'll be very successful. :ww:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

pcdesloge said:
Welcome to the board.

I don't know that many people are getting torqued over the outcome.
Just some of the general lack of execution was kinda disappointing.
Win, lose, doesn't matter. Only execution.

Wow, I just had a Jackie Chan moment there. :yeh: