Feature- DX Feels Knee Problems Are Thing of the Past

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Guard said:
My first thought is, I don't see the Rams carrying 7 WR's on a team that wants to run the ball and rely on its defense to win games.... 6 max.

I agree with Shane that DX brings a skill set that is hard to find, and is much needed on this team... a tall receiver with the speed expand the field vertically, and can go up and get the ball. As we have been witness to, and have discussed ad nauseum on Rams message boards, it's the health issue.... can we depend on him? My thought on the subject is this.... if we can even have him on the field for 8 of the 16 games, he should hold down that 6th WR spot over any of the other prospects. None of them has what he's got, and none of them will see the field if the starting rotation stays healthy. But if you can get this kid out their for a dozen snaps a game, it really changes the dynamics of this offense. For me that is worth more than keeping, let's say Smith, Pettis, Salas, and Gibson who bring very similar skill sets.

That's my thoughts.
I agree with you about the skill sets. I agree that we will keep 6. That means a couple decent players will be cut.

Y - Amendola, Smith
Z - Salas, Givens, Pettis
X - Quick, Gibson, DX

Out in this scenario, is DX, and Pettis. Rams go with least risk.

It will all depend if the Rams think that Smith is better than Salas or Pettis, and if DX is worth the risk/reward over Gibson. That is my take on it at this point.

In my other scenario:

Slot - Amendola, Salas
Flanker - Givens, Pettis
Split end - Quick, DX

Out in this scenario, Smith and Gibson. Rams go with youth and max potential.

On a side note, Nick Johnson will be signed to practice squad.

I think it is. Gibson hasn't really "stepped up" since his time here. At least w/ DX you get that big play potential. Besides, w/ Quick, Givens, Amendola, Salas...Gibson could eventually be the 4th or 5th best WR. Now I'd rather keep DX around over Gibson for 4th/5th best.

Who are your 6 as it stands now? This ? applies to everyone.

Starters...Amendola, Salas, Smith.

Backups: Quick, Givens, DX.

This way we get 2 tall WRs, a speed demon, a YAC guy, and 2 chain mover possesion guys.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
DR RAM said:

As it stands?

Starters: Quick, Gibson, Amendola.

Backups: Salas, Givens, Alexander/Pettis.

I don't think that Steve Smith has fully recovered from his microfracture surgery. If that's true, I doubt that he'll make it through.

Gibson stays; right now, he's the only outside receiver who has chemistry with Bradford, and he was our most reliable deep threat last year, as sad as it may sound.

Givens gives us another deep threat, but his alligator arms and inability to beat press coverage concerns me a great deal. Quick is the closest thing we have to a number one. Salas is a good young receiver who may move to the outside should Gibson falter. Amendola is our most proven receiver.

That leaves Alexander and Pettis. Pettis plays special teams and has health working for him, but Alexander has a skillset that nobody else on our team can boast. Aside from that, they aren't going to cut Pettis during the preseason; while he's suspended, he doesn't count against the 53 man roster. Same with Brody Eldridge, except his suspension is for four games. Why cut those players when you have the ability to keep them and see how others are playing?

I don't think any of us will know until two games into the season. If DX hasn't recovered from his new hamstring issue, Pettis will take his slot and play special teams. If he has, Pettis will go, and Salas will end up playing mostly special teams. There's also the possibility that they pick up a receiver that someone else releases during the cutdowns. I think we can predict four of the spots; the other two are a complete and total crapshoot.

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:

Amendola, Smith, Quick, Givens, Salas, DX and Pettis.

Pettis is suspended for two games, so that gives Smith and DX two weeks to show that not only they are healthy but they are ready to make a big impact.

Most likely Pettis will replace DX unless he has a really weak camp and just can't take it. At the very least Pettis stays healthy which is important. DX is a wonderful talent, but if he can't get on the field it's just no point. He's had like 3 practices (if that?) thus far in camp, it's just not a good sign. I want nothing more in the world for him to be an impact player and to stay healthy, but it's just not going to happen. Pettis is a long term investment that can improve and grow still. DX has 2 maybe 3 years left at most to be honest, unless there is some medical miracle.

I can also switch Smith and Gibson out, but we go through this every year in camp with Gibson... If Smith is truly recovered then I'll take him over Gibson. If however there is any sign that it will bother him, I'll keep Gibson. It's going to have to be one of the last cuts between those two most likely.