Feature- DX Feels Knee Problems Are Thing of the Past

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
“Everything’s good,” Alexander continued. “I haven’t had any problems with my knee for however long so that’s kind of a thing of the past. I’m just looking forward to keeping this thing going.”

Well, let's hope so. He's an asset for sure when he's on the field, but this hamstring thing keeps popping up now and you have to wonder if it's because he's worried about coming down wrong on his knees. Or maybe the way he runs now is different *because* of his knees. Who knows. All I know is, it would be awesome if he could go 16 games with no issues. I also know he hasn't done that yet.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
“Everything’s good,” Alexander continued. “I haven’t had any problems with my knee for however long so that’s kind of a thing of the past. I’m just looking forward to keeping this thing going.”

Well, let's hope so. He's an asset for sure when he's on the field, but this hamstring thing keeps popping up now and you have to wonder if it's because he's worried about coming down wrong on his knees. Or maybe the way he runs now is different *because* of his knees. Who knows. All I know is, it would be awesome if he could go 16 games with no issues. I also know he hasn't done that yet.

You summed it up perfect, X. He is an asset on the field and it would be great if he could play 16 games with no issues. As you said, however, that hasn't happened and one has to wonder if it ever will.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Nice piece, Shane. I always love hearing about DX.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Great piece Shane. I love watching what DX can do when he is able to play. I realize there are a lot of ifs with the guy but if he can go, he is very hard to cover one on one and he comes down with some tough catches. Defenses absolutely have to account for him and scheme for him and that is always a player that is going to help you. IF he stays healthy. I think he's going to do it. :crossed:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
Great piece Shane. I love watching what DX can do when he is able to play. I realize there are a lot of ifs with the guy but if he can go, he is very hard to cover one on one and he comes down with some tough catches. Defenses absolutely have to account for him and scheme for him and that is always a player that is going to help you. IF he stays healthy. I think he's going to do it. :crossed:
And....he seems like a great kid.

Guard

UDFA
My first thought is, I don't see the Rams carrying 7 WR's on a team that wants to run the ball and rely on its defense to win games.... 6 max.

I agree with Shane that DX brings a skill set that is hard to find, and is much needed on this team... a tall receiver with the speed expand the field vertically, and can go up and get the ball. As we have been witness to, and have discussed ad nauseum on Rams message boards, it's the health issue.... can we depend on him? My thought on the subject is this.... if we can even have him on the field for 8 of the 16 games, he should hold down that 6th WR spot over any of the other prospects. None of them has what he's got, and none of them will see the field if the starting rotation stays healthy. But if you can get this kid out their for a dozen snaps a game, it really changes the dynamics of this offense. For me that is worth more than keeping, let's say Smith, Pettis, Salas, and Gibson who bring very similar skill sets.

That's my thoughts.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Guard said:
My first thought is, I don't see the Rams carrying 7 WR's on a team that wants to run the ball and rely on its defense to win games.... 6 max.

I agree with Shane that DX brings a skill set that is hard to find, and is much needed on this team... a tall receiver with the speed expand the field vertically, and can go up and get the ball. As we have been witness to, and have discussed ad nauseum on Rams message boards, it's the health issue.... can we depend on him? My thought on the subject is this.... if we can even have him on the field for 8 of the 16 games, he should hold down that 6th WR spot over any of the other prospects. None of them has what he's got, and none of them will see the field if the starting rotation stays healthy. But if you can get this kid out their for a dozen snaps a game, it really changes the dynamics of this offense. For me that is worth more than keeping, let's say Smith, Pettis, Salas, and Gibson who bring very similar skill sets.

That's my thoughts.
I agree with you about the skill sets. I agree that we will keep 6. That means a couple decent players will be cut.

Y - Amendola, Smith
Z - Salas, Givens, Pettis
X - Quick, Gibson, DX

Out in this scenario, is DX, and Pettis. Rams go with least risk.

It will all depend if the Rams think that Smith is better than Salas or Pettis, and if DX is worth the risk/reward over Gibson. That is my take on it at this point.

In my other scenario:

Slot - Amendola, Salas
Flanker - Givens, Pettis
Split end - Quick, DX

Out in this scenario, Smith and Gibson. Rams go with youth and max potential.

On a side note, Nick Johnson will be signed to practice squad.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:
Guard said:

That's my thoughts.
I agree with you about the skill sets. I agree that we will keep 6. That means a couple decent players will be cut.

Y - Amendola, Smith
X - Quick, Gibson, DX

It will all depend if the Rams think that Smith is better than Salas or Pettis, and if DX is worth the risk/reward over Gibson. That is my take on it at this point.

In my other scenario:

Slot - Amendola, Salas
Flanker - Givens, Pettis
Split end - Quick, DX

I think it is. Gibson hasn't really "stepped up" since his time here. At least w/ DX you get that big play potential. Besides, w/ Quick, Givens, Amendola, Salas...Gibson could eventually be the 4th or 5th best WR. Now I'd rather keep DX around over Gibson for 4th/5th best.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Guard said:

That's my thoughts.

Y - Amendola, Smith
X - Quick, Gibson, DX

In my other scenario:

Slot - Amendola, Salas
Flanker - Givens, Pettis
Split end - Quick, DX

I think it is. Gibson hasn't really "stepped up" since his time here. At least w/ DX you get that big play potential. Besides, w/ Quick, Givens, Amendola, Salas...Gibson could eventually be the 4th or 5th best WR. Now I'd rather keep DX around over Gibson for 4th/5th best.

Who are your 6 as it stands now? This ? applies to everyone.

Guard

UDFA
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Guard said:

That's my thoughts.

Y - Amendola, Smith
X - Quick, Gibson, DX

In my other scenario:

Slot - Amendola, Salas
Flanker - Givens, Pettis
Split end - Quick, DX

Who are your 6 as it stands now? This ? applies to everyone.

As of right now... that is today, the 7th of August at 4:47 PM MST, my 6 are:

Amendola, Quick, Givens, Salas, Smith, and DX.

That means that Pettis and Gibson would be out. I don't quite trust Gibson, great in practice but too many drops and mental errors in game situations, and Pettis who was slow to start last year, and then has the PEDS and 2 game suspension to overcome, and have heard or read that he is lighting it up in what camp thus far.

Of course this can and probably will change tomorrow.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Guard said:

That means that Pettis and Gibson would be out. I don't quite trust Gibson, great in practice but too many drops and mental errors in game situations, and Pettis who was slow to start last year, and then has the PEDS and 2 game suspension to overcome, and have heard or read that he is lighting it up in what camp thus far.

I could get on board with that. But if Alexander continues to have complications, I'd swap Pettis in there for him and feel alright about it. I'd hate to get rid of Gibson when this could very well be his break-out year, but he's also one of those guys that teases with potential and then ... ? If he didn't make such spectacular catches (Gibson) every now and again, I wouldn't be so askeered of seeing him get traded.

Guard

UDFA
X said:
Guard said:

I could get on board with that. But if Alexander continues to have complications, I'd swap Pettis in there for him and feel alright about it. I'd hate to get rid of Gibson when this could very well be his break-out year, but he's also one of those guys that teases with potential and then ... ? If he didn't make such spectacular catches (Gibson) every now and again, I wouldn't be so askeered of seeing him get traded.

No, yeah I understand that completely. I was one of those that criticized the prior regime for dumping developmental players too soon. That's a valid point with both Gibson and Pettis. But all of these guys have some warts of some kind or another, either injury or young and inexperienced... and with some it's both. We are going to have to make a difficult decision and cut loose someone who is young and talented. That's the hard part when you're dealing with so much young and untested players.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Guard said:
X said:
Guard said:

No, yeah I understand that completely. I was one of those that criticized the prior regime for dumping developmental players too soon. That's a valid point with both Gibson and Pettis. But all of these guys have some warts of some kind or another, either injury or young and inexperienced... and with some it's both. We are going to have to make a difficult decision and cut loose someone who is young and talented. That's the hard part when you're dealing with so much young and untested players.
Yeah. And Fisher already called it by saying a few of our guys are going to be playing for some other team this year. And that's a good sign I suppose. I also like the philosophy that Demoff mentioned a little while back about allocating funds to "sign their own" to extensions and whatnot in the coming years.

And we know, as of right now, there are a few players here that aren't "theirs", per se.

STL-Rams

Starter
RamFan503 said:

Thank you, RamFan503. :)

STL-Rams

Starter
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
And....he seems like a great kid.

I agree. Seems very humble and kind. Really like him. Hard not to pull for him.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
STL-Rams said:
DX talks about his health; a look at where he's been and what he hopes to do, etc.

http://missourisportsmag.com/?p=71233
Thanks Shane. Another nice piece. Always enjoy hearing from you.
And I really can't disagree with just about all the responses from everyone.
I don't envy the coaching staff having to make some tough decisions.
Wish we could keep eight WRs but that's not gonna happen.

GO RAMS!!!!

STL-Rams

Starter
rickrawk said:
STL-Rams said:
DX talks about his health; a look at where he's been and what he hopes to do, etc.

http://missourisportsmag.com/?p=71233
Thanks Shane. Another nice piece. Always enjoy hearing from you.
And I really can't disagree with just about all the responses from everyone.
I don't envy the coaching staff having to make some tough decisions.
Wish we could keep eight WRs but that's not gonna happen.

GO RAMS!!!!

Thank you Rick! Really appreciate that! :)

Going to be some tough decisions at WR.