FCC looking to put end to NFL blackout rules

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://tracking.si.com/2013/11/02/fcc-end-nfl-blackouts/?sct=nfl_t2_a2

The Federal Communications Commission is looking to put an end to the NFL’s blackout rules, allowing every game to be broadcast locally regardless of ticket sales, according to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.

The FCC is crafting a proposal that would require the NFL to show each team’s games in its home market, arguing that those who cannot afford tickets should not be punished:

"Changes in the marketplace have raised questions about whether these rules are still in the public interest, particularly at a time when high ticket prices and the economy make it difficult for many sports fans to attend games," said FCC acting chairwoman Mignon L. Clyburn.

The NFL has yet to blackout a game in the 2013 season although it has relaxed its rules so that only 85% of non-premium seats need to be sold to avoid a blackout. The league has also allowed tickets to be sold at a deep discount to sponsors in order to avoid blackouts in some markets.

Senator John McCain of Arizona proposed a bill earlier this year that would ban blackouts of games being played in publicly funded stadiums.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
http://tracking.si.com/2013/11/02/fcc-end-nfl-blackouts/?sct=nfl_t2_a2

The Federal Communications Commission is looking to put an end to the NFL’s blackout rules, allowing every game to be broadcast locally regardless of ticket sales, according to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.

The FCC is crafting a proposal that would require the NFL to show each team’s games in its home market, arguing that those who cannot afford tickets should not be punished:

"Changes in the marketplace have raised questions about whether these rules are still in the public interest, particularly at a time when high ticket prices and the economy make it difficult for many sports fans to attend games," said FCC acting chairwoman Mignon L. Clyburn.

The NFL has yet to blackout a game in the 2013 season although it has relaxed its rules so that only 85% of non-premium seats need to be sold to avoid a blackout. The league has also allowed tickets to be sold at a deep discount to sponsors in order to avoid blackouts in some markets.

Senator John McCain of Arizona proposed a bill earlier this year that would ban blackouts of games being played in publicly funded stadiums.

Well ya know what, that's Fidel Castro "sports are the right of the people" interventionist pandering of the first order IMO and ONE MORE reason I don't think we are any worse off because Obama beat McCain.

I do think IF you pay for NFL Sunday ticket it seriously violates already established truth in advertising laws and they black you out it's BS and it shouldn't TAKE legislation to put a stop to it, but IMO the NFL is so much better run than THIS government and the more THEY trifle with it the more it will resemble an institution that has PLUNGED it's people into moribund debt.

THE VERY LAST THING an NFL fan should want is THIS GOVERNMENT infusing their brand of management into it.

OF ALL THE PROBLEMS we face as a nation blackouts of NFL games aint EVEN on the radar

iced

Well ya know what, that's Fidel Castro "sports are the right of the people" interventionist pandering of the first order IMO and ONE MORE reason I don't think we are any worse off because Obama beat McCain.

I do think IF you pay for NFL Sunday ticket it seriously violates already established truth in advertising laws and they black you out it's BS and it shouldn't TAKE legislation to put a stop to it, but IMO the NFL is so much better run than THIS government and the more THEY trifle with it the more it will resemble an institution that has PLUNGED it's people into moribund debt.

THE VERY LAST THING an NFL fan should want is THIS GOVERNMENT infusing their brand of management into it.

OF ALL THE PROBLEMS we face as a nation blackouts of NFL games aint EVEN on the radar

too bad bars are the ones who really only have a way around black outs - they just change the signal to another nearby county to get the feed (least thats what they do here for bucs games)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
too bad bars are the ones who really only have a way around black outs - they just change the signal to another nearby county to get the feed (least thats what they do here for bucs games)
Well iced I've been down this road so long it's become a circle,I used to have a 10 foot dish and could pick up feeds before NFL Sunday Ticket existed,was a charter member, part of the lawsuit settlement , but IN THE END by Mc Cains logic if you drive to the stadium on public streets charging for it becomes something they don't have THE RIGHT to sell.
IF he had gotten his way from the start there would BE no NFL,he's an interloper who is just USING peoples heart strings to try to appear statesman like.
FWIW our government NEEDS to study the NFL as a model of success NOT try to usurp it's power to manage it's own affairs.

iced

Well iced I've been down this road so long it's become a circle,I used to have a 10 foot dish and could pick up feeds before NFL Sunday Ticket existed,was a charter member, part of the lawsuit settlement , but IN THE END by Mc Cains logic if you drive to the stadium on public streets charging for it becomes something they don't have THE RIGHT to sell.
IF he had gotten his way from the start there would BE no NFL,he's an interloper who is just USING peoples heart strings to try to appear statesman like.
FWIW our government NEEDS to study the NFL as a model of success NOT try to usurp it's power to manage it's own affairs.

i think modeling the gov't after how the nfl does business (Greed, ahem) would be dangerous...in fact you could argue they're doing it right now..