Favorite FA Back Up QB's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Everybody when I suggested Mark Sanchez last season:

gif_crowd320.gif

Now he's played his way into a starting role somewhere. I also like Colt McCoy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With all the talk about the back up here, who is the starter? Because IMO, THAT is the important decision

If we're relying on back ups again we're screwed again, simples.

Either Sam is healthy for 16 games and plays at a high level (looks really unlikely at the moment) we trade for a quality QB (less likely than the Sam option) or we draft a QB (either very expensive to trade up, or you're buying a lottery ticket on Hundley).

It doesn't matter what back up QB we sign, they're back ups for a reason.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Everybody when I suggested Mark Sanchez last season:

gif_crowd320.gif

Now he's played his way into a starting role somewhere. I also like Colt McCoy.
Sorry but Chip has made Nick Foles look serviceable. I see Sanchez returning to his butt fumbling 54% completion ways if he came here.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Sorry but Chip has made Nick Foles look serviceable. I see Sanchez returning to his butt fumbling 54% completion ways if he came here.
I was on the Sanchez train too as a backup with potential to start. But the thing that made him appealing for the Rams in particular, his familiarity with the system, is what would actually work against him too. Schottenheimer didn't exactly get the most of him but it does look like Sanchez has some ability.

moklerman

Warner-phile
You kind of did that [politician] thing where you say you disagree, why you did, and offer no alternative. You offered nothing, but that's ok. It's not like there's a time limit on a thread. Plenty of time time fully express your opinion, I want to know.

Let's not go the political route here - eh man? Appreciate it. Stu
That works both ways though. You didn't ask what everyone else wanted to do, just posted your list so I limited my response to that.

As far as who I would consider, Moore and Glennon are my choices at the moment. They both have starting experience, both have played at a productive level and both haven't been established in what they can or can't do. Moore doesn't have the college pedigree and there's probably a reason he hasn't sustained a starting job but he's played in some pretty conservative/poor offenses in the NFL so I think he has potential if put in the right situation. At the very least, I think he could replicate what Clemens/Davis/Hill have done and he's got better physical skills than any of them and is only 31. He'll be a FA as well and would likely welcome a chance to start. He won't get that in Miami. Maybe he won't get it here but unfortunately, as we all know, he's got a chance to play here.

Glennon also has upside IMO. I don't love him as a prospect but again, he could easily replicate what the other guys have been doing but with more youth, better physical attributes and more potential for upside.

I forgot to mention your honorable mention pick of Thad Lewis. Of the guys that you did mention, he's the one that I would pick in terms of backup potential and attainability. He's sort of a sentimental choice for Rams fans although I don't know why his preseason carries any weight. He's probably very akin to Davis in overall ability but he's got a stronger arm from what I can remember. Wouldn't be opposed to giving him a shot but wouldn't feel to comfortable with him as the primary backup.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesnt hurt Sanchez to have Shady McCoy running for almost 3 hundo in the last 2 games...

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That works both ways though. You didn't ask what everyone else wanted to do, just posted your list so I limited my response to that.

As far as who I would consider, Moore and Glennon are my choices at the moment. They both have starting experience, both have played at a productive level and both haven't been established in what they can or can't do. Moore doesn't have the college pedigree and there's probably a reason he hasn't sustained a starting job but he's played in some pretty conservative/poor offenses in the NFL so I think he has potential if put in the right situation. At the very least, I think he could replicate what Clemens/Davis/Hill have done and he's got better physical skills than any of them and is only 31. He'll be a FA as well and would likely welcome a chance to start. He won't get that in Miami. Maybe he won't get it here but unfortunately, as we all know, he's got a chance to play here.

Glennon also has upside IMO. I don't love him as a prospect but again, he could easily replicate what the other guys have been doing but with more youth, better physical attributes and more potential for upside.

I forgot to mention your honorable mention pick of Thad Lewis. Of the guys that you did mention, he's the one that I would pick in terms of backup potential and attainability. He's sort of a sentimental choice for Rams fans although I don't know why his preseason carries any weight. He's probably very akin to Davis in overall ability but he's got a stronger arm from what I can remember. Wouldn't be opposed to giving him a shot but wouldn't feel to comfortable with him as the primary backup.

Sorry bro, I don't wanna read any of that lol.

I just wanna know who you want in one sentence.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm not a Jason Campbell guy but when you look at that list, he doesn't seem like a terrible option. I'd still like to see how Colt McCoy plays out the season though I'm not sure he gets out of WA if he plays well down the stretch.

Never liked Campbell prone to making major mistakes and McCoy's durability is a concern. He's very small, in fact, smaller than Davis, but I suspect he would not get out of Washington albeit as only a backup.

Lesson

Oh, really?
If we're relying on back ups again we're screwed again, simples.

Either Sam is healthy for 16 games and plays at a high level (looks really unlikely at the moment) we trade for a quality QB (less likely than the Sam option) or we draft a QB (either very expensive to trade up, or you're buying a lottery ticket on Hundley).

It doesn't matter what back up QB we sign, they're back ups for a reason.

Philly and Arizona haven't really suffered from backups playing this season, though AZ might be fading now.

A backup QB should be able to do what Hill's been doing for the most part and what Hoyer's been doing as well, a game manager who doesn't turn over the ball.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Philly and Arizona haven't really suffered from backups playing this season, though AZ might be fading now.

A backup QB should be able to do what Hill's been doing for the most part and what Hoyer's been doing as well, a game manager who doesn't turn over the ball.
Arizona is averaging 12.3 offensive ppg with Stanton at the healm. Eeek
Other teams who have gone to backups include Washnington, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, NY Jets, Tennessee and Jacksonville
Combined record of 16-56