Faulk skeptical of Brian Schottenheimer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike Sando
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... ttenheimer

INDIANAPOLIS -- Count Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk among those skeptical of the St. Louis Rams' switch to Brian Schottenheimer as offensive coordinator.

What will the switch mean for the Rams and quarterback Sam Bradford in particular? About four seconds passed between the question and Faulk's answer from Super Bowl media day Tuesday. Schottenheimer, hired after a six-year run with the New York Jets, will implement coach Jeff Fisher's broader vision for an offense that runs the ball well and protects the quarterback.

"I don't think there was a huge difference between how the Jets' offense looked and how the Rams' offense looked," Faulk said.

In terms of production? Scheme?

"Period," Faulk said. "You can take that how you want to."

The Jets ranked 25th in yards per game last season. The Rams were 31st. The Jets were 13th in points scored. The Rams were 32nd.

"If Schottenheimer is going to reinvent himself," Faulk said, letting the thought die. "You don't get it any better than Shonn Greene, L.T. [LaDainian Tomlinson], Plaxico [Burress] and Santonio [Holmes] and [Dustin] Keller. And now he is going to a team that doesn't have a No. 1 receiver. Steven Jackson probably has 4-5 more years in that body. Lance Kendricks, a good tight end who dropped the ball a lot last year, and that surprised me after watching him in preseason. And a young quarterback in Bradford who I hope didn't get beat up too much to take away from who he really is."

Faulk serves as a TV analyst for the Rams' preseason games. Skepticism is usually warranted. The Rams had reason for excitement entering last season, but none of it translated to the field. Some of the dynamics with the Jets were unusual and beyond a coordinator's control, however. Those dynamics surely affected the product on the field.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm hoping that Sanchez was the problem. He was a problem either way for doing crap like this (just shows immaturity in my eyes), and the whole greenlight/redlight thing.... I'm not that worried, but it is a concern. All in all, I have faith that Bradford can get it done as long as the rest of our receivers know what they are doing. That held us back last year.

6a00d83451b84f69e20120a61f3a04970b-550wi.jpg

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
bluecoconuts said:
I'm hoping that Sanchez was the problem. He was a problem either way for doing crap like this (just shows immaturity in my eyes), and the whole greenlight/redlight thing.... I'm not that worried, but it is a concern. All in all, I have faith that Bradford can get it done as long as the rest of our receivers know what they are doing. That held us back last year.

Yeah, but Sanchez was dating that chick who was still in High School. Shouldn't he be given some points for that at least ? :hehe:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Selassie I said:
bluecoconuts said:

Yeah, but Sanchez was dating that chick who was still in High School. Shouldn't he be given some points for that at least ? :hehe:

She was pretty cute, but seriously.... He's a starting QB in NY, you'd think he could do a little better.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
bluecoconuts said:
Selassie I said:
bluecoconuts said:

She was pretty cute, but seriously.... He's a starting QB in NY, you'd think he could do a little better.

Well, I'm 44 years old sooooooo,,,, my view of a HS chick has changed many times throughout the years. I would consider that quite the accomplishment these days. In all seriousness. :cheese:

Besides that, Sanchez is a total tool.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Selassie I said:
bluecoconuts said:
Selassie I said:
bluecoconuts said:

Well, I'm 44 years old sooooooo,,,, my view of a HS chick has changed many times throughout the years. I would consider that quite the accomplishment these days. In all seriousness. :cheese:

If she's 18 then yeah, otherwise I'd be too worried that Chris Hansen is going to knock at my door. Agreed on Sanchez though

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
She was 17, but that is legal in New York and Jersey. I really don't think that effects his play though. :sly:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
I saw this earlier. I hope Marshall is wrong about this. Fisher picking the wrong OC could blow early confidence in his new administration, and possibly setback Bradford's development. If there is one area that I think the new coaching staff would NOT want to take a risk, it's on the OC. Marshall's sharp words definitely gives me pause.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
The Jets biggest mistake was going after Plax and Asomugha. They lost guys like Smith, Cotchery, and Edwards during that process. It really screwed up the offense for this season. They also thought Greene could turn into a feature RB, didnt happen. The oline took a step back after Woody retired. On top of all that, Sanchez hasnt progressed into a QB that doesnt need balance on offense to succeed. He cant carry the offense. Of course, it didnt help that they got rid of most of his WR core and replaced them with Plax and some rookies.

I still have plenty of confidence in Schotty. The key is upgrading the offense around Sam and getting his confidence back. Its a tough task, but we still have SJ (and hopefully a good backup) to lean on and im sure Schotty will take full advantage of that early on.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
bluecoconuts said:
Selassie I said:
bluecoconuts said:
Selassie I said:
bluecoconuts said:

If she's 18 then yeah, otherwise I'd be too worried that Chris Hansen is going to knock at my door. Agreed on Sanchez though

www.mediaite-1.jpeg

Chris Hansen: Your s/n: DirtySanchez6..says "I have a hot dog you can eat..and not the one in Oakland", and you sent this pic via Twitter of you naked.
Mark Sanchez: Yeah, she told me that she was 18.
Chris Hansen: In the chat, it clearly says she is not.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Don't care who the OC is, if they fail to put playmakers around Bradford the O is going to suck. And I don't mean those mid round maybe will develop into a avg. player in a couple years types. Spend a couple premium picks and sign a vet FA to move this team along.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
ljramsfan said:
bluecoconuts said:
Selassie I said:
bluecoconuts said:
Selassie I said:
bluecoconuts said:

www.mediaite-1.jpeg

Chris Hansen: Your s/n: DirtySanchez6..says "I have a hot dog you can eat..and not the one in Oakland", and you sent this pic via Twitter of you naked.
Mark Sanchez: Yeah, she told me that she was 18.
Chris Hansen: In the chat, it clearly says she is not.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Love that one! Let's face it, Schotty ain't going to be reinventing the wheel here in STL, but that's probably a good thing. After the turd that was the McOffense tanked last season, I'm thinking a simplified ground and pound offense might not be a terrible idea.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
interference said:
X said:
I saw this earlier. I hope Marshall is wrong about this. Fisher picking the wrong OC could blow early confidence in his new administration, and possibly setback Bradford's development. If there is one area that I think the new coaching staff would NOT want to take a risk, it's on the OC. Marshall's sharp words definitely gives me pause.
Not me. Faulk's opinion is no more valid than anyone in the media. Again, was what happened in NY the fault of the OC or the players? Marshall was a player, so maybe that influences his opinion?

The Jets were very good in the redzone (1 or 2?). While the blame is being pushed on Schotty for their 25th ranked offense, perhaps he deserves some praise for what did go right? How do you rank in the bottom quarter on offense, but score enough to be slightly above average in scoring?

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
X said:
Mike Sando
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... ttenheimer

INDIANAPOLIS -- Count Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk among those skeptical of the St. Louis Rams' switch to Brian Schottenheimer as offensive coordinator.

What will the switch mean for the Rams and quarterback Sam Bradford in particular? About four seconds passed between the question and Faulk's answer from Super Bowl media day Tuesday. Schottenheimer, hired after a six-year run with the New York Jets, will implement coach Jeff Fisher's broader vision for an offense that runs the ball well and protects the quarterback.

"I don't think there was a huge difference between how the Jets' offense looked and how the Rams' offense looked," Faulk said.

In terms of production? Scheme?

"Period," Faulk said. "You can take that how you want to."

The Jets ranked 25th in yards per game last season. The Rams were 31st. The Jets were 13th in points scored. The Rams were 32nd.

"If Schottenheimer is going to reinvent himself," Faulk said, letting the thought die. "You don't get it any better than Shonn Greene, L.T. [LaDainian Tomlinson], Plaxico [Burress] and Santonio [Holmes] and [Dustin] Keller. And now he is going to a team that doesn't have a No. 1 receiver. Steven Jackson probably has 4-5 more years in that body. Lance Kendricks, a good tight end who dropped the ball a lot last year, and that surprised me after watching him in preseason. And a young quarterback in Bradford who I hope didn't get beat up too much to take away from who he really is."

Faulk serves as a TV analyst for the Rams' preseason games. Skepticism is usually warranted. The Rams had reason for excitement entering last season, but none of it translated to the field. Some of the dynamics with the Jets were unusual and beyond a coordinator's control, however. Those dynamics surely affected the product on the field.
I was really hoping we would steer away from Schottenheimer after i heard that Hue Jackson was the other guy fighting for the posistion, well they did the opposite. Lets just hope what a NY Jet fan said about Brian wasn't true.."Schotty is Schitty" lol...

steferfootball

Starter
WestsideRamsfan said:
Man, that Jets offensive talent is scary! SMH.
I know that is what worries me.

But a bad QB (which Sanchez could very well end up as) can really hold a great offense back.