Faulk: Patriotrs cheated Rams out of a Superbowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
interference said:
Ram_of_Old said:
The monday morning after we lost was one of the worst of my life. It got even worse when a NFL line judge who is a good friend of mine came by and told me, "Anyone wearing red, white, and blue, was not going to lose on that field." Remember that this was just after 9/11. He said the refs basically let the DBs get away with murder. They mugged our wideouts and Faulk was continually held. It still chaps me...
That's exactly what I've been saying since Vinateri kicked that last second FG.

And no way Belicheat pulled this off by himself. The final walkthrough was inside the stadium, this HAD to be be a conspiracy that involved NFL Security. It's one thing to tape signals during a regular season Jets game, it is quite another to try to do this a few months AFTER 9-11 when security was ridiculously tight everywhere, especially at that stadium.... do people recall just how tight security was for that game?

Goodell did the right thing alright, he protected the NFL's 32-owners. That's what he's paid to do, and he did it. He has absolutely no allegiance to the fans or anyone else.
So, and I hate saying this, but our government is scaring me...will there be some anti-gun theme to exploit the tragic incident perpetrated by a crazy cowardly mother fucker at Sandy Hook Elementary School? Because, you two are not the only one's that felt that was also part of the conspiracy. Me and my bro in-law felt the same way about the red white and blue and the Pats. We said it during the game when the NFL exploited 911. We looked at each other and said, "Oh fuck, we're screwed this game".

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
DR RAM said:
interference said:
Ram_of_Old said:
The monday morning after we lost was one of the worst of my life. It got even worse when a NFL line judge who is a good friend of mine came by and told me, "Anyone wearing red, white, and blue, was not going to lose on that field." Remember that this was just after 9/11. He said the refs basically let the DBs get away with murder. They mugged our wideouts and Faulk was continually held. It still chaps me...
That's exactly what I've been saying since Vinateri kicked that last second FG.

And no way Belicheat pulled this off by himself. The final walkthrough was inside the stadium, this HAD to be be a conspiracy that involved NFL Security. It's one thing to tape signals during a regular season Jets game, it is quite another to try to do this a few months AFTER 9-11 when security was ridiculously tight everywhere, especially at that stadium.... do people recall just how tight security was for that game?

Goodell did the right thing alright, he protected the NFL's 32-owners. That's what he's paid to do, and he did it. He has absolutely no allegiance to the fans or anyone else.
So, and I hate saying this, but our government is scaring me...will there be some anti-gun theme to exploit the tragic incident perpetrated by a crazy cowardly mother fucker at Sandy Hook Elementary School? Because, you two are not the only one's that felt that was also part of the conspiracy. Me and my bro in-law felt the same way about the red white and blue and the Pats. We said it during the game when the NFL exploited 911. We looked at each other and said, "Oh fuck, we're screwed this game".
Or maybe they'll have a theme similar to the Olympic games in China, where there's a mass of dancers all moving in synchronicity, accentuating the "strength" of the collective while simultaneouly downplaying the importance of the individual. That's right before an actor playing Thomas Jefferson rides out on a horse and the crowd swallows him up, further putting on display the power of the collective and the end of the American experiment.

Why do I think this hypothetical pre-game entertainment is not far off the mark. Unfortunately, I think we'll see something similar someday by the ever opportunistic NFL entertainment machine.

Anyway, I'll be spending the day at the park this Sunday. No way I'm going to watch this spectacle anymore, unless, of course, the Rams are in it.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, there was no WAY a team named the fucking "Patriots" was going to lose the SB that year. No way. Hell, they even had to dust off the tuck rule to help make it happen. Scary. Anyone remember the confetti that rained down after the game? Matched the Pats unis almost perfectly as I recall. Do they have both team colors ready to go in those cases? Why do I feel like there was never any Gold in them there rafters.....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BYcVqhI.png

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000133034/article/marshall-faulk-rams-were-cheated-out-of-super-bowl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... super-bowl</a>

It's been 11 seasons since we had a Super Bowl in New Orleans. (Which is about 10 seasons too long.)

The game's return to the Crescent City naturally brings back memories of the last classic played in the Superdome. It was the day the New England Patriots dynasty was born, and one of the biggest upsets in NFL history. (I'd argue it was the biggest upset. The New York Jets should not have been such big underdogs to the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III.)

The losing team that day, of course, was the St. Louis Rams. Their best player, Marshall Faulk, still has strong feelings about how his team lost.

"Am I over the loss? Yeah, I'm over the loss," Faulk, now an NFL Network analyst, told Tom Curran of Comcast SportsNet New England. "But I'll never be over being cheated out of the Super Bowl. That's a different story. I can understand losing a Super Bowl, that's fine ...

"But how things happened and what took place. Obviously, the commissioner gets to handle things how he wants to handle them, but if they wanted us to shut up about what happened, show us the tapes. Don't burn 'em."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell destroyed tapes of the Patriots videotaping sideline calls from the 2006 regular season and 2007 preseason. Goodell said at the time there was absolutely no truth to the accusation that the Patriots videotaped the Rams' walk through before the Super Bowl.

Fellow NFL Network analyst Willie McGinest doesn't buy into the accusation.

"If ... we had any extra information, then that game wouldn't have been as dramatic as it was, coming down to a field goal," McGinest said on WBZ-FM in Boston on Wednesday. "Trust me. It would have been a blowout."

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[hil]These are the parts that burn me up every time this story resurfaces.[/hil]

Goodell: Destroying Spygate tapes was 'right thing to do'

February 14, 2008
<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3244687" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3244687</a>

WASHINGTON -- Bill Belichick has been illegally taping opponents' defensive signals since he became the New England Patriots' coach in 2000, according to Sen. Arlen Specter, who said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told him that during a meeting Wednesday.

"There was confirmation that there has been taping since 2000, when Coach Belichick took over," Specter said.

Specter said Goodell gave him that information during the 1-hour, 40-minute meeting, which was requested by Specter so the commissioner could explain his reasons for destroying the Spygate tapes and notes.

"There were a great many questions answered by Commissioner Goodell," Specter, the senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters after the meeting. [hil]"I found a lot of questions unanswerable because of the tapes and notes had been destroyed."[/hil]

Goodell said Belichick told him he believed the taping was legal; Goodell said he did not concur.

"He said that's always been his interpretation since he's been the head coach," the commissioner said. "We are going to agree to disagree on the facts."

Specter, from Pennsylvania, wants to talk to other league officials about what exactly was taped and which games may have been compromised.

"We have a right to have honest football games," he said.

Goodell noted that "we were the ones that disclosed" the Patriots' illegal taping of the New York Jets' defensive signals in Week 1 of last season. Further, Goodell said, they had an admission by Belichick.

"I have nothing to hide," Goodell said.

Goodell also told Specter that that he doesn't regret destroying the Spygate tapes or the notes.

"I think it was the right thing to do," Goodell said.

Still, Specter wants to know why penalties were imposed on Belichick before the full extent of the wrongdoing was known and the tapes destroyed in a two-week span. Asked if he thinks there was a coverup, Specter demurred.

[hil]"There was an enormous amount of haste,"[/hil] Specter said.

[hil]He scoffed at the reasons Goodell gave for destroying the tapes and notes, particularly about trying to keep them out of competitors' hands and because Belichick had admitted to the taping.[/hil]

"What's that got to do with it? [hil]There's an admission of guilt, you preserve the evidence," Specter said. As for keeping the tapes out of the hands of others: "All you have to do is lock up the tapes."[/hil]

Belichick was fined $500,000 and the team was fined $250,000 because of the Spygate incident. The Patriots also forfeited a first-round draft pick.

Specter has questioned the quality of the NFL's investigation into the matter and raised the possibility of congressional hearings if he wasn't satisfied with Goodell's answers. Specter also raised the threat of Congress canceling the league's antitrust exemption and reiterated that in the meeting with Goodell.

A league official clarified to ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the NFL's current proposal to Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh includes a legal guarantee that he will not be sued by the league or the Patriots for any information or material he would provide to the NFL.

As Goodell said, the proposal stipulates that Walsh must be truthful and return anything he took improperly.

Walsh has had no response, according to Goodell.

[hil]Walsh told The Associated Press last week during the Pro Bowl in Hawaii that he couldn't talk about allegations that he taped a walkthrough practice by the St. Louis Rams before the 2002 Super Bowl.[/hil] New England, a two-touchdown underdog, won that game 20-17.

[hil]Specter said he, too, wanted to talk to Walsh and perhaps offer a different deal.

Goodell also said he reserves the right to reopen the investigation if more information is uncovered.[/hil]

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
:amped: :amped: :amped: :amped: :amped:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
:amped: :amped: :amped: :amped: :amped:
Yep.

This was me two months after that game was over.

b2478698faa843bbab06609.png

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
BYcVqhI.png

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000133034/article/marshall-faulk-rams-were-cheated-out-of-super-bowl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... super-bowl</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's been 11 seasons since we had a Super Bowl in New Orleans. (Which is about 10 seasons too long.)

The game's return to the Crescent City naturally brings back memories of the last classic played in the Superdome. It was the day the New England Patriots dynasty was born, and one of the biggest upsets in NFL history. (I'd argue it was the biggest upset. The New York Jets should not have been such big underdogs to the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III.)

The losing team that day, of course, was the St. Louis Rams. Their best player, Marshall Faulk, still has strong feelings about how his team lost.

"Am I over the loss? Yeah, I'm over the loss," Faulk, now an NFL Network analyst, told Tom Curran of Comcast SportsNet New England. "But I'll never be over being cheated out of the Super Bowl. That's a different story. I can understand losing a Super Bowl, that's fine ...

"But how things happened and what took place. Obviously, the commissioner gets to handle things how he wants to handle them, but if they wanted us to shut up about what happened, show us the tapes. Don't burn 'em."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell destroyed tapes of the Patriots videotaping sideline calls from the 2006 regular season and 2007 preseason. Goodell said at the time there was absolutely no truth to the accusation that the Patriots videotaped the Rams' walk through before the Super Bowl.

Fellow NFL Network analyst Willie McGinest doesn't buy into the accusation.

"If ... we had any extra information, then that game wouldn't have been as dramatic as it was, coming down to a field goal," McGinest said on WBZ-FM in Boston on Wednesday. "Trust me. It would have been a blowout."

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.
It would have been a blowout, but for Kukar losing control of one of his refs who called McGinest for the only defensive holding call of the game. He seems to forget how much of an underdog his team was.

Adding a footnote to the redzone stuff: The play call that got the Rams their first TD was drawn up by Martz on the sideline, and suddenly the Pats looked like any other defense. That sequence in the redzone took the Rams 6 plays to score.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
GreeneCounty said:
Robert Kraft and Goodall are so buddy buddy.

Just reading more of this today makes my blood boil... Again!

Destroying evidence and moving so quickly just makes no sense... unless there was something to hide.

Goodell = zero credibility. With fans. With players. Zero!

Worse commissioner - in any sport - ever.

A fake POS.

Tool.

Puppet.

Damn, I'm pissed all over again!