Fatal police shooting in Missouri sparks protests

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
CNN) -- Protests in Missouri around the death of an unarmed teen turned violent late Sunday.

A gas station was looted, and police called for additional units to back up officers already on the street, said Brian Schellman, spokesman with the St. Louis County Police Department.

Video from the scene showed police in riot gear.

"They are sending in more officers to try and get the situation under control," Schellman said.

A friend and witnesses say Missouri teen Michael Brown was unarmed and had his hands in the air when a Ferguson police officer shot and killed him, but that account is in dispute.

"The genesis of this was a physical confrontation," Jon Belmar, chief of the St. Louis County Police Department, said at a Sunday news conference.

The officer tried to leave his vehicle just before the shooting on Saturday afternoon, but Brown pushed him back into the car, "where he physically assaulted the police officer" and struggled over the officer's weapon, Belmar said.

toldCNN affiliate KSDK.

Ferguson Police cars do not have dash cameras, the department said.

McSpadden was told her son was shot eight times, though witnesses had varying accounts of how many shots were fired. Brown was supposed to start classes at Vatterott College on Monday, she said

Antonio French, the Ward 21 alderman in nearby St. Louis, tweeted numerous photos and videos from the aftermath of the Saturday shooting. Brown was shot shortly after 2 p.m., according to reports.

Hundreds of demonstrators -- as many as 1,000 at the height of the protests, according to police -- converged on the scene Saturday, at one point driving away a police squad car, French said on Twitter.

Scores of police officers lined the street. One of them held the leash of a barking dog, and French said some officers wielded shotguns. One image showed a riot van on the scene.

Demonstrators held their hands in the air and chanted, "We are Michael Brown." Others held signs, including one that said, "No justice, no peace" and another that read, "Police stops should not = dead kids." There were reports that some protesters yelled, "Kill the police."

Demonstrators at one point set a Dumpster on fire, according toCNN affiliate KMOV, and Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson told KSDK, "It did get a little tense when, twice, several shots were fired."

The Ferguson Police Department called more than 100 officers from 15 jurisdictions to secure the scene, KMOV reported.

"We had what probably bordered on riot conditions," Jackson said, explaining that it took hours to process the scene, collect evidence and move Brown's body.

Later, according to media reports, about 100 people took their protest to the Police Department in Ferguson, a northernsuburb that's about a 20-minute drive from St. Louis. Officers were deployed to ensure the demonstrations were peaceful, the police chief said.

McSpadden had pointed words for the officer who shot her son.

"You're not God. You don't decide when you're going to take somebody from here," she told KSDK.

Jackson said the St. Louis County Police Department was conducting an independent investigation, and during the Sunday news conference, Belmar expressed doubts that Jackson would've called his department so promptly "if he had something to hide."

The officer who shot Brown is on paid administrative leave during the investigation and will be available to talk to county homicide detectives.

The officer has been with the force six years, Belmar said, adding that he is "unaware of any other issues that he's been involved in."

He will be required to undergo two psychological evaluations before returning to duty, Belmar said.

The St. Louis County NAACP is asking the FBI to open an inquiry and said it would conduct its own investigation into the killing.

"We plan to do everything within our power to ensure that the Ferguson Police Department as well as the St. Louis County Police Department releases all details pertinent to the shooting," local chapter President Esther Haywood said in a statement.

A Justice Department spokeswoman said Attorney General Eric Holder has instructed the department's civil rights division to monitor the developments in the case.

The FBI said it is assisting police in its investigation and will review the findings.

Federal authorities typically await completion of the local investigation before deciding whether federal action is needed.

Brown was spending the summer in the neighborhood with his grandmother, Desuirea Harris, she told KMOV. She described him as "a good kid."

He was walking with at least one other man at the time of the incident, Jackson said.

Witnesses told CNN affiliate KTVI that a police officer in a squad car grabbed Brown while he was walking.

Dorian Johnson said he was walking with Brown in the middle of the street when a police car pulled up. The officer told the teens to use the sidewalk, according to Johnson.

After an exchange of words, the officer shot Brown even after he raised his hands in the air, Johnson said.

The officer "shot again, and once my friend felt that shot, he turned around and put his hands in the air," Johnson told KMOV. "He started to get down and the officer still approached with his weapon drawn and fired several more shots."

The police chief declined to divulge specifics about the case, including what preceded the shooting.

Brown enjoyed music and had recently graduated from Normandy High School in Wellston, his uncle Bernard Ewing said.

CNN's Mayra Cuevas, Joe Sutton, Ben Brumfield and Evan Perez contributed to this report.

From Around the Web

More from CNN
Recommended by

PolarBear

Rookie
I'm watching it on Fox 2 right now. They are showing videos of people looting a ton of stores.

fearsomefour

Legend
We demand that justice be done. We are expressing this by looting stores and stealing stuff.
Makes sense. Put a fence up around where these folks are and burn it to the ground. Addition by subtraction.

cracengl

Rookie
No dash cams? They must be the only department in the country without them. I mean, there's probably departments that would donate their old equipment to them too.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We demand that justice be done. We are expressing this by looting stores and stealing stuff.
Makes sense. Put a fence up around where these folks are and burn it to the ground. Addition by subtraction.

No joke. Looting in your own area is a disservice.

fearsomefour

Legend
No joke. Looting in your own area is a disservice.
Looting period was my point.
These are (generalizing) base human beings. Taking advantage of someone's death for quick personal gain is pathetic. The actions of these people prove they don't care about this young man in the least. It also proves they have probably never worked hard for anything or cared about anything in their lives.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It's an awful thing that a 21 year old is dead ,that a cop may have murdered him,,but looting the QT??????????????? Aint nobody got time for that !

TommerK

Rockin' Rams Fan
Name
Tom
Crazy shit man! But I smell BS on both sides of the story.

The cops say he tried to push the officer back into his vehicle, and then tried to wrestle his gun from him? Then shot him when he tried to run. All because he was walking in the street, and was told he needed to walk on the sidewalk. Yet they conveniently don't have dash cams.

And the "witnesses" say that the cop just shot him several times in cold blood after an exchange of words.

And of course you'll NEVER get the full story from the media. They are all about, "How can we sensationalize this story for the sake of our ratings" or "We were first with the story". It's not about good journalism.

Yet somehow this is an excuse to loot innocent businesses for personal gain. And to show their true ignorance, some of these losers posted their takings on Facebook.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Looting period was my point.
These are (generalizing) base human beings. Taking advantage of someone's death for quick personal gain is pathetic. The actions of these people prove they don't care about this young man in the least. It also proves they have probably never worked hard for anything or cared about anything in their lives.

agree. Looting is dumb but tearing up lac owned businesses is really dumb.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Shooting someone who's unarmed and running away is the issue! Looting is stupid as it denigrates the whole community! Hope they get this right so that there's no doubt as to who's at fault! Too many cops have a god complex and shouldn't be cops! IMO!

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
For those of you who do not live in the area(I don't really, about 45 minutes away) they all came out again last night but the police were on top of it. They basically shut them down before they could get going. A LOT of tear gas was used. This has turned into such a white/black thing that it makes me furious. This may not go over well but for me, it has to be said. I don't understand why there is only outrage when it's a white cop that kills a minority. A few years back a 4 year old boy was playing in his front yard in a different part of STL. There was a drive by and a stray bullet hit the kid, killing him. Far more tragic than what had just happened imo. But where they trying to flip over cars in the neighborhood? Where they lighting shit on fire in the neighborhood? Were they rioting? No. If they were not trying to make it a race thing, they would have raised hell beating down every door until someone knew something about who did it. All this rioting shit is going on off of stories. No one really knows what happened except for the cop. Did he need to fill the kid with bullets? Not at all. But did he feel he needed to put him down? Quite possibly. They are already trying to make the kid out to be a saint like they did Tayvon. This kid has 4 felonies in the last year, including assault. For me, the police officers version seems far more likely. @GreeneCounty, you are a trained officer of the law, what say you here? What does your gut tell you?

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

This happened about 9 months ago I believe, about 5 miles from my house. People were upset, sure. But no one was gonna act stupid like that. This was a clearly unarmed man. But the officer made an instinctive decision based on his training. I stood behind it. Turned out the guy was a career criminal and had he made his way to the officer, likely would have at the very least threw him a beating. Maybe it's a different in culture but I think it's bullshit and racist to act like they are in Furgeson

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Shooting someone who's unarmed and running away is the issue! Looting is stupid as it denigrates the whole community! Hope they get this right so that there's no doubt as to who's at fault! Too many cops have a god complex and shouldn't be cops! IMO!
Yeah I agree, and now we're gonna get treated to the Sharptons of the world expecting us to understand the completely dysfunctional behavior in reaction to this and assuring that attitudes crystallize.
It occurs to me that some high profile guys from the Rams could do a lot of good by just going to Ferguson or cutting a PI telling people to cut the shit, there's no excuse, and it only makes the cop's actions a sidebar, if their spoiling for a fight it's at police headquarters not the damned QT ( Quick Trip) for those who don't know the area.
Again ,there are a whole lot of cops who shouldn't be one ,I agree ,but if we only had the good ones or people who should be,we'd be so understaffed it'd be dangerous. I would not want the job,I think the power is one of the few payoffs to it and it's the sort of power I wouldn't want running amok in me.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think something almost as disturbing as watching Furgeson on tv is reading through my Facebook feed. The reverse racism is appalling. People seem afraid to even back a white person for fear of being dubbed a racist. A buddy of mine posted on a large thread and got death threats. His picture altered to say he likes "black DNA rifle" they were calling him a honky ass cracker and whitey. One man even said I bet your daughter "loves black dick"....his daughter is 5. It's folks acting like this that completely take away from what was originally meant to be. Last night they were dancing and fighting for attention in front of the news camera. I guess all in all I'm just disappointed that it's 2014 and it's all about race.

fearsomefour

Legend
For those of you who do not live in the area(I don't really, about 45 minutes away) they all came out again last night but the police were on top of it. They basically shut them down before they could get going. A LOT of tear gas was used. This has turned into such a white/black thing that it makes me furious. This may not go over well but for me, it has to be said. I don't understand why there is only outrage when it's a white cop that kills a minority. A few years back a 4 year old boy was playing in his front yard in a different part of STL. There was a drive by and a stray bullet hit the kid, killing him. Far more tragic than what had just happened imo. But where they trying to flip over cars in the neighborhood? Where they lighting crap on fire in the neighborhood? Were they rioting? No. If they were not trying to make it a race thing, they would have raised hell beating down every door until someone knew something about who did it. All this rioting crap is going on off of stories. No one really knows what happened except for the cop. Did he need to fill the kid with bullets? Not at all. But did he feel he needed to put him down? Quite possibly. They are already trying to make the kid out to be a saint like they did Tayvon. This kid has 4 felonies in the last year, including assault. For me, the police officers version seems far more likely. @GreeneCounty, you are a trained officer of the law, what say you here? What does your gut tell you?
In my opinion it is a culture of victimization. It is easy to excuse your own failings if you're a victim in your own mind. Having spent time in Oakland you see it there. Generations on welfare. A perfectly healthy 20 year old guy claiming he can't work because there are no jobs....and flipping burgers is below him....of course balked at the idea of community college when I brought that up. In his mind none of his short comings were his fault. No one understood his struggles. Yeah right, anyone who has lived in the world and made their own way understands. When he goes to jail for selling drugs that won't be his fault either as that was the only option open to him, in his mind. I said I could get him a job with the Oakland A's and that usually will lead to better jobs as you get to know guys associated with the team. He said he couldn't do that because he didnt have a car. Keep in mind he lived less than 2 miles from the stadium. He was a loser. I am willing to bet most of the folks looting are losers in this same way.
Race is an easy "I'm a victim" card to play. In most cases it is pathetic and weak. But this mentality crosses race lines. If you look at welfare rolls it is pretty evenly distributed between races. For some it is needed and a good thing. For many it is a generational ticket to being lazy.
No one likes to think of themselves as lazy or stupid or a loser, being a victim is much easier to swallow, even can feel empowering.
In our culture now this is accepted and almost celebrated by media that is desperate to take up and push causes. Michael Sam is an example of this. Holy hell if he gets cut. It will reported he is a victim (I do not think Sam has this mentality in the least, just the opposite), reality has little to do with the version of the truth in large portions of society.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I'm not saying that there are instances that do call for the use of deadly force! Don't think this is one of them is what I'm saying. If reports that the guy was shot multiple times are correct, that is criminal and a gross overreaction to the situation! If the cop was assaulted, I understand shooting him. Once he was down, get backup, and have him taken into custody. Was he a threat lying on the ground, wounded with no pistol?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
For those of you who do not live in the area(I don't really, about 45 minutes away) they all came out again last night but the police were on top of it. They basically shut them down before they could get going. A LOT of tear gas was used. This has turned into such a white/black thing that it makes me furious. This may not go over well but for me, it has to be said. I don't understand why there is only outrage when it's a white cop that kills a minority. A few years back a 4 year old boy was playing in his front yard in a different part of STL. There was a drive by and a stray bullet hit the kid, killing him. Far more tragic than what had just happened imo. But where they trying to flip over cars in the neighborhood? Where they lighting crap on fire in the neighborhood? Were they rioting? No. If they were not trying to make it a race thing, they would have raised hell beating down every door until someone knew something about who did it. All this rioting crap is going on off of stories. No one really knows what happened except for the cop. Did he need to fill the kid with bullets? Not at all. But did he feel he needed to put him down? Quite possibly. They are already trying to make the kid out to be a saint like they did Tayvon. This kid has 4 felonies in the last year, including assault. For me, the police officers version seems far more likely. @GreeneCounty, you are a trained officer of the law, what say you here? What does your gut tell you?

I think it's only made this issue into b/c the guy that got killed was black AND he was 18 years old. The fact he was basically a kid vs. an adult with a gun makes the cop seem worse.

PLUS for w/e reason, cops have ALWAYS gotten a bad rap. I've had to deal with cops a lot (mainly b/c people keep hitting our car and breaking the windows) and not one of them were the assholes people on facebook claim to be. And this is Oklahoma, Bible belt, etc yada yada. And I'm not white, either and still no dick cops.

Cops get hated on for giving speeding tickets. Yeah, I get it it seems trivial to get a speeding ticket for going 55 in a 50 mph zone, but it is the law.

Anyway, back OT, I find it incredibly hard to believe that even the most arrgoant dick cop would shoot for no reason. If the kid really did shove and try to lunge for the gun, the outcome that happened is a real possibility. Unfortunately it did and now we see what's going on right now. It's sad, at all angles.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Agreed @Angry Ram no one would shoot and innocent kid for no reason, in broad daylight in the middle of the street. The kid was clearly doing something he shouldn't have. One of my biggest issues is white people afraid to say the riots were wrong because they are scared of being labeled racist.

TommerK

Rockin' Rams Fan
Name
Tom
I think the biggest problem with this whole story is the media. The initial headline to this story on every channel was, "Ferguson police shoot and kill an unarmed 18-year-old". Once it was learned that it was a white cop and a black victim, the lies started up and the race riot was on. And like I said before, the media will only tell you whatever will sensationalize their story.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler

I am not a cop but just a simple grocery manager. But I do feel if cop is guilty he needs to get his. I feel the looting is stupid because it tears down the black community and businesses. Agree with you on 4 yr old kid being shot by a stray bullet.