Farr has nothing but praise for Donald/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Farr has nothing but praise for Donald
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_727b8eb8-d97c-5a9d-99f3-6dbc602778ff.html

The first thing D’Marco Farr did when he met Aaron Donald was the height thing.

“See who was taller,” Farr explained. “I’ve got him by a hair. No matter what he says, I’m just a wee bit taller.”

Donald is listed as 6-1 on the Rams’ roster. That seems generous. Farr, by the way, was measured at 6 feet and ¾ of an inch when he came out of college.

Other than being vertically-challenged, Rams defensive tackles — one present, one past — Donald and Farr had something else in common by the end of the Rams’ 21-14 victory over Detroit on Sunday.

A three-sack day against the Lions gave Donald 11 for the year. And that made him the first Rams defensive tackle since Farr in 1995 with 10 or more sacks in one season. Farr had 11½ sacks that season, the team’s inaugural campaign in St. Louis.

“Man, I’m pumped up about it,” Donald said, when informed of the milestone. “My first three-sack game and we came away with a big win. A big win that we needed coming off that losing streak, so it feels even better.”

Further research by the Rams’ media relations department revealed that only one other defensive tackle in franchise history has had double-digit sacks in a season: Sean Gilbert, with 10½ in 1993.

Keep in mind, sacks didn’t become an official NFL stat until 1982.

Usually, if a defensive tackle gets five or six sacks in a season, he’s considered a good pass rusher. Things are simply too congested inside, and the bodies just too big, to be running free at quarterbacks with much regularity.

Making Donald’s feat all the more impressive: Imagine how many sacks he might have if defensive ends Robert Quinn and Chris Long had been available all season to draw the attention of opposing blockers.

Especially when Quinn started missing time with first a knee, and then a back injury, Donald saw a steady diet of double-team blocking.

“It’s a part of the game,” Donald shrugged. “You’re gonna win some, you’re gonna lose some. But you’ve just gotta keep going.”

Donald is winning a lot more than he’s losing. He needs one sack over the Rams’ final three games to pass Farr as the franchise’s single-season sack leader at defensive tackle.

“I’ve still got him by a half-sack,” joked Farr, who’s still around the program as a game analyst for Rams radio.

Not that he’s keeping track or anything.

“It’s not something that you closely monitor — not from a personal standpoint,” Farr said. “It’s just, being a Rams broadcaster, I hope for somebody to have that interior presence to help the pass rush out.”

Farr knew from the get-go that Donald could be something special when the Rams drafted him in 2014.

“Just watching him play, how he played,” Farr said. “How quick he is beating one-on-ones, I knew that eventually this guy was gonna be the double-digit sack guy in the middle that they needed.”

After registering nine sacks en route to NFL defensive rookie of the year honors in 2014, it took Donald just 13 games to reach double figures this season.

Donald knows Farr a little, and has talked to him a couple of times about line play.

“They say his ‘get-off’ was a little faster,” Donald said. “His get-off was real fast. It’s just good to have guys like him and La’Roi Glover, guys that played at a high level, to be around here and I can talk to them.”

Glover, now the Rams’ director of player engagement, spent the last three seasons of his NFL playing career with the Rams from 2006-08. He rose to fame as an interior pass-rusher with the New Orleans Saints, registering 17 sacks in 2000.

That’s the second-highest total in league history for a defensive tackle — Keith Millard had 18 for Minnesota in 1989.

Farr does see a little of himself in Donald when he watches him play.

“You know what? I think I may have him in just the 10-yard burst,” Farr said. “Just the get-off part. But I’ll tell you this: He is 10 times as strong as I was. Seriously.

“When you’re using the dusty dumbbells — you know the ones on the end that the guys are afraid to lift? — that’s when you know you’re strong.”

And that’s how strong Donald is.

Farr is the common thread between Gilbert and Donald when it comes to the three most prolific interior pass-rushers in modern franchise history. He’s linked to Donald because of his radio work.

They don’t talk that often. Farr knows how busy an NFL player is during the season, and respects that.

“But whenever we catch one of those stolen moments, I ask him, what does he see and how’s he seeing it?” Farr said. “‘How are they trying to block you? What are the protections like?’ And he’ll tell me.”

What Farr hears from Donald are the same things he faced playing for the Super Bowl champion Rams in 1999.

They’re sending the guard after me. They’re sliding protection. They’re trying to get me to commit to the A gap.

“So I can relate,” Farr said.

At the other end of the D-tackle spectrum, Farr was a teammate of Gilbert’s when he broke into the league in 1994.

“Sean Gilbert was my mentor,” Farr said. “I know he got a bad rap for being lazy or whatever people used to say about him. But being in the locker room, being a D-tackle coming into the league, I couldn’t have found or landed in a better spot to find a better mentor than Sean Gilbert.

“He was basically a bigger version of me. We saw the game the same way.”

Farr thinks Donald sees the game the same way as well. How so?

“You can dominate the game,” Farr said. “You can absolutely dominate a game from a three-technique position, from a defensive tackle position. That’s how he plays. And that’s how I tried to play.”

But there’s one difference, as Farr sees it.

“His upside is a lot higher than mine,” Farr said. “I just love watching him play.”

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Before Donald is done he will be what future DTs are measured against. He is Imo simply the best DT in the NFL who hasn't even begun to peak.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Id love to be listed at 6"1 and be described as "vertically challenged"...

What a monster though. Dpoy candidate for sure in only his second year and was in his rookie year also - he's a phenom.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Aaron Donald's place among the NFL's best pass-rushers
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...onalds-place-among-the-nfls-best-pass-rushers

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- It's no secret to anyone paying attention that St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald has climbed the ladder to become one of the top defensive linemen and top defensive players in the NFL in just his second season.

When it comes to interior pass-rushers, you won't find one better than Donald. But where does he rank when stacked up against the best of the rest of the league's pass-rushers no matter the position?

That's a question that ESPN NFL Insider analyst Matt Bowen attempted to answer on Tuesday. Bowen compiled his list of the top 10 pass rushers in the NFL. Insider

On Bowen's list, Donald ranks first among interior pass-rushers and checks in at No. 5 overall. Bowen has Kansas City's Justin Houston, Oakland's Khalil Mack, Denver's Von Miller and Houston's J.J. Watt ahead of Donald.

Of course, Donald's job is more difficult than all of those players because of his position though Watt isn't exactly in a position known for pass rush production, either. Teams are constantly aware of all of the names on this list and extra attention is thrown toward each player but some have built-in advantages of others.

For example, Rams defensive end Robert Quinn makes Donald's job easier when he's healthy. That Donald is still dominant even without Quinn offers some insight into just how well Donald has been playing.

I.C.Y.M.I.

A roundup of Tuesday's Rams stories appearing on ESPN.com. ... We began the day with a look at why defensive tackle Aaron Donald should be in the conversation for the defensive players of the year award. ... The Ram-blings looked at the Chargers and Raiders plan to stick together on the Carson project. ... This week's turning point play examined Todd Gurley's 49-yard burst to setup his first touchdown against Detroit. ... The Rams moved up to No. 26 in this week's ESPN NFL Power Rankings. ... We closed the day with a look at the injury report.

Elsewhere:

Here's this week's entire ESPN NFL Power Rankings.

Seahawks reporter Sheil Kapadia provides five reasons the Seahawks can return to the Super Bowl.

A great read from Kevin Seifert on how Ravens punter Sam Koch has changed the punting game.

At 101sports.com, Anthony Stalter writes that Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson's ascent has given the Rams some offseason flexibility.

At stltoday.com, David Hunn offers details on St. Louis' ever-changing stadium proposal.

Jim Thomas participated in his weekly chat.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wonder how many sacks Merlin Olsen had..........we know that someone looked at the tape and counted Deacon's. So I'm left to wonder how many his linemate had.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
If you have ever spoken to D'Marco in person, it's obvious he has tremendous admiration for Donald and what he brings to the team with his strength and burst..."unblockable". This is not some great revelation because we all can see the results but Farr is an expert! It's cool to see him get so excited talking about it.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Any breakdown by year?

What about "stuffs" and TFL?

I'm fairly certain he does have it broken down by year, as I've seen him do it that way with Deacon, Youngblood, and Coy Bacon. But I haven't been able to find it for Merlin. Other sources have Olsen credited with eleven sacks in 1972, but that's the only year I've been able to find so far.

As far as I know, Turney's research was for sacks only. They may have been recording TFL stats as well, but I haven't seen that made available on the Net.