Farmer: Jared Goff's laid-back nature leads to first round

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sam FarmerContact Reporter

Jared Goff shuffled in his stocking feet across the hardwood floor of his boyhood home and flopped back on an oversized leather couch in the living room. His beloved Golden State Warriors were on TV, he had called for a post-workout pizza, and his golden retriever Leo was shadowing him step for step.

The rare moment of calm — precisely a week before he could become the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft — was a welcome respite for Goff, the formerCalifornia quarterback who since January has zigzagged across the country meeting with NFL teams.

As coachable as he is on the field, the 6-foot-4 Goff is patently uncoachable as a traveler. He hates getting shoehorned into economy class. Since a tortuous trip home from the scouting combine in middle seat 33B, he has taken to paying for his own upgrades.

Soon enough, the money won't be an issue. When the NFL opens the draft Thursday at Auditorium Theatre in Chicago, Goff will either be selected first by the Rams, or second by the Eagles, and immediately before or after North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz. Barring a bizarre twist, quarterbacks will go 1-2 in the draft for the third time in five years — something that had happened only four previous times since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970.

Talk about upgrading: With Goff as the starting quarterback, Cal went from 1-11 in 2013, to 5-7 in 2014, to 8-5 last season, with a victory over Air Force in the Armed Forces Bowl.

Goff's Cal career had humble beginnings, even though he was the school's first true freshman quarterback to start the opener since at least World War II. The Golden Bears' lone victory in 2013 was a 37-30 win over Portland State, a jarring reality for a player who had lost a total of four games in four years at Marin Catholic High.

Something Goff quickly learned about being a leader: It comes easy when you're winning. He had to learn how to lead as the losses piled up. That's a badge of honor for him now, and enticing for NFL teams who know they will have to go through growing pains with a rookie quarterback.

Cal Coach Sonny Dykes, in his first season that year, stuck with Goff through all the turbulence. That included a 55-16 humiliation in a monsoon in Oregon, when the freshman lost two fumbles on Cal's first three possessions and was benched with 2:57 left in the first quarter. Goff's passing numbers: three for six for 11 yards.

With the benefit of time, Dykes can look back and see one of Goff's best qualities was surfacing. The coach watched his young quarterback on the sideline and noticed that while Goff clearly wasn't pleased with his performance, he didn't look hopelessly rattled, either.

"Let me put it to you this way," Dykes said. "Jared's body language was a lot better than mine."

Dykes said Goff has an uncommon ability to address problems and fix them.

"I don't know if I've ever seen a kid that's had more of an ability to come up with a plan and work that plan," he said.

During every extended break from football, Dykes said, Goff would pick two or three points of emphasis to work on, then spend that time addressing the weaknesses in his game.

After the 1-11 debacle, Goff's primary focus was becoming a better and more vocal leader.

"I really just had to mature," he said. "I was 18 years old and we hadn't won any games, so it was hard."

Meanwhile, Cal strength coach Damon Harrington sent a not-too-subtle reminder to his players, removing the stylish blue Cal workout clothes from their lockers and replacing them with cheap, logo-less gray gear. The players had to earn the right to get their stuff back, and that didn't happen until just before the 2014 season began, meaning that particular blue-gray game lasted for months.

"It was the worst," Jared said. "We would joke around like we were prison inmates."

There was a lot of good-natured ribbing at Cal, and Goff was frequently on the receiving end, particularly when he started to get national attention.

"We knew J was going to be a high pick coming into this year," receiver Bryce Treggs said. "So if he threw a bad ball, we were like, 'That was a late-rounder! Undrafted ball!' We'd always give him a hard time that way."

What Goff has been working on the last three months — and part of that has been with Wentz in Irvine, because they're represented by the same agency — is making the transition from the shotgun spread formation he ran at Cal to a more under-center, pro-style offense he'll run in the NFL.

Helping Goff make that transition is Ted Tollner, the former USC coach whose son, Bruce, is one of the agents representing the two top quarterbacks.

"That's where the emphasis was, trying to get the pure fundamentals," the elder Tollner said of Goff, who had 43 touchdowns with 13 interceptions last season. "I said, 'Here's the things they want to see: Do you understand how your feet move and the rhythm that it takes? Do you have the right bend in your knees? Are your hands right? Are your eyes right? Are your shoulders right?' So I started there with those kinds of basics. Jared just caught on — bam! — like that."

Goff is highly competitive, yet doesn't come across as overly intense or emotional. He's more casual, closer to sleepy-eyed Eli Manning than everything-has-to-be-perfect Peyton. He's also known for staying cool under pressure, and at 218 pounds, he looks like a broad-shouldered but lanky surfer who prefers to go with the flow.

"I think Jared is who he is and is successful to the point that he has been so far because he doesn't have the prototypic Type-A mentality," said his dad, Jerry, a former major league catcher who's now a fireman stationed just across the 101 Freeway from San Francisco International Airport. Though he's 52, he still has the boyish look he did as a baseball player and punter at Cal in the 1980s.

"He's focused on the task, don't get me wrong. But I can only compare it to myself. Before a game, I had to know where my socks were, my shoes were. If something was out of place, I'd lose my mind."

Jared concedes his idea of picking out an outfit is grabbing a shirt off the floor, giving it a sniff, and pulling it on if it passes the smell test. One of his agents rolled his eyes when Goff showed up to talk to reporters at the combine and hadn't combed his hair, failing to capitalize on the $80 haircut he had just gotten.

Goff takes pride in his ability to remain even-keeled and not focus on any given play, good or bad, but to keep moving forward.

"That's what helped me be successful, is staying as calm as possible," he said. "It doesn't mean there weren't times when I'd get everyone fired up and be loud and everything. But I wasn't like Drew Brees doing the chants before the game."

In that sense, Goff and his dad are a lot alike. While Jerry might have been meticulous about his clothes and equipment as a big league catcher, he's easygoing and unassuming as a denizen of his firehouse in Millbrae, which looks more like a residential home than a typical station. He doesn't volunteer that he's the father of a star quarterback, yet he's happy to talk about it if anyone should ask. His two shift-mates, who watched Jared grow up and went to his games whenever possible, are both off Thursday so as not to miss a minute of the draft.

Jerry and Nancy Goff, high school sweethearts, are the furthest thing from stage parents. They're just excited to see their son begin the next chapter of his career, whether it's with the Rams or Eagles, with the bonus of his possibly winding up in L.A., where Jared's older sister, Lauren, attended UCLA and still resides.

Multiple people with knowledge of the situation say the NFL has asked the Rams to keep their quarterback choice quiet until the draft, thereby sustaining the drama. Jerry Goff said "he has a pretty good idea" where his son is headed, without revealing his preference, but that he doesn't want to get his hopes too high before NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell reads Jared's name.

Dykes said the Goff family is as "low-maintenance" as any he has encountered in his career as a coach.

"We threw that poor kid to the wolves his first year," he said. "He just got teed-off on play after play, and nobody ever said a word. Mom and dad were never, 'Hey, wait a minute, guys, what are y'all doing to my son?' They were just supportive, exactly the kind of people you would want.

"I can remember we were having issues with one of our players," Dykes continued. "I was like, 'Look, I've had 15 conversations with you about an issue. I've never had one conversation with Jared Goff or his parents about an issue since he's been here. . . . He's going to be a first-round player, and you're a walk-on."

Part of that could be the blue-collar work ethic the elder Goff tried to instill in his son, one that Jerry leaned on during his journeyman career with the Montreal Expos, Pittsburgh Pirates and Houston Astros that spanned seven years.

San Francisco Giants game, and was excited to do so, but had to decline when the Rams called at the last minute because they wanted to meet with him in L.A.

"[The Rams] were joking with me about it right when I walked in," he said. "They tossed me a baseball and said, 'Hey, you want to go throw one real quick?'"

For this onetime coach flier, that's a small sacrifice for a first-class payoff on the other end.

Follow Sam Farmer on Twitter @LATimesfarmer

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Other tidbits from others.... FWIW.

Quote..."But in today’s pass-happy NFL, it is always about the quarterbacks. Any franchise that doesn’t have a highly productive passer is in a constant, ever-more-desperate search to get one."

Wentz averaged 235 yards a game passing. In his junior year, he averaged 175 yards a game. Approaching age 24, Wentz has yet to prove that he can be a highly productive passer on a consistent basis. If he becomes a "highly productive passer", it's likely a longer road than Goff, someone who had proven to be a "highly productive passer" multiple years and is two years younger than Wentz.

A final point for a final time...I saw where one of the "experts" (La Canfora?) posted a comment about the age difference. I'm surprised no one else on the board cites it as a concern or at least a point of difference in Goff's favor. When we drafted Robinson, his age (20)?was a major benefit pointed out over and over again. Goff is 21...What's the difference? Please...1 is not the answer I'm looking for.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Goff is 21...What's the difference? Please...1 is not the answer I'm looking for.

I think I read there is 1 year 10 months difference between Goff and Wentz, Wentz being 23.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I love Goff and still prefer him as the pick.

But there's just something about Wentz, he exudes leadership and swag, and it isn't going to take him long to take over that Eagles locker room. He's the anti-Bradford and the overthrows you see on his deep passes in college won't be overthrows in the NFL.

IMO they're both going to be perennial pro bowl level players. Barring injuries of course.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Puff piece. But Farmer chose to do the puff piece on Goff. Not Wentz.
Yesterday Farmer changed his mind on Twitter about the Goff/Wentz derby. He said he was now choosing Goff per some info he had recieved and finished the tweet with "see tomorrow's L.A.Times." And this is the article we got ... still not sure what he meant

jap

Legend
What are these guys doing? Throwing darts at a board with Jared and Carson's names on it? Is that how they're making their predictions for the #1 overall selection?

Name
Chris
Here's the link to the full farmer article, goff was in LA Tuesday to meet with the team then back Thursday night for dinner with the owner and Demoff. Betting that's part of why Farmer changed his prediction from Wentz to Goff. http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-draft-goff-20160424-story.html

looks like Farmer also spoke with Goff and his father, maybe they threw him some info off record, doesn't hurt to help out a reporter every now and then.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yesterday Farmer changed his mind on Twitter about the Goff/Wentz derby. He said he was now choosing Goff per some info he had recieved and finished the tweet with "see tomorrow's L.A.Times." And this is the article we got ... still not sure what he meant

IMO, Farmer thought the Rams were going Wentz, but nows feel like many others the selection will be Goff. Mike Silver is dialed in with the Rams and he reported that Goff's private workout in the rain where the ball never hit the ground swung the pendulum the other way.

jap

Legend
The Horns could stand to acquire a Cool Hand Luke-type at QB after the way "cool-headed" Nick Foles completely lost his composure last season.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Goff is highly competitive, yet doesn't come across as overly intense or emotional. He's more casual, closer to sleepy-eyed Eli Manning than everything-has-to-be-perfect Peyton.

Uh-oh. Everyone's collective heads are about to explode.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@den-the-coach, make of it what you will, but that Wentz piece wasn't a puff piece. It was filled with arguments for him being the selection.

Okay fair enough, but some of if was Farmer's opinion at the time and one could surmise that if it was not puff, it was to some degree, fluff.;)

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I love Goff and still prefer him as the pick.

But there's just something about Wentz, he exudes leadership and swag, and it isn't going to take him long to take over that Eagles locker room. He's the anti-Bradford and the overthrows you see on his deep passes in college won't be overthrows in the NFL.

IMO they're both going to be perennial pro bowl level players. Barring injuries of course.

I agree. That's why I don't get the talk of, "This is no Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota" Nothing against those guys, but it seems the two this year can both be better.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Uh-oh. Everyone's collective heads are about to explode.

Much different from Bradford, been reported that when he worksout with the team, he's right in the center of it all and guys come to him. Not sure if that is what you were implying,m but this article does point out after the first year, he tried to be more of a leader regardless the intense players many of their detractors will find them overbearing like Brady and the quiet ones like Eli Manning, his detractors will find him detached.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And for the record I preferred Wentz too at first with his size and intensity, however, Goff's body of work is better and I can't get by the 56/1 Touchdown to Interception ratio that sealed the deal for Goff in my book.

Wentz is more to my liking seems more structured and intense, but Goff's favoite player of all time was Joe Montana and nobody was cooler than Montana and I bite my tongue as I type that. However, I would like Goff to change his favorite teams please.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And for the record I preferred Wentz too at first with his size and intensity, however, Goff's body of work is better and I can't get by the 56/1 Touchdown to Interception ratio that sealed the deal for Goff in my book.

Wentz is more to my liking seems more structured and intense, but Goff's favoite player of all time was Joe Montana and nobody was cooler than Montana and I bite my tongue as I type that. However, I would like Goff to change his favorite teams please.

Sure would be sweet IF they take Goff and he wins that job. Seeing him start his career with a big win over SF would be glorious.

jap

Legend

I don't see how he would have much of a choice. He's got the Gurley Express!, Tavon Awesome and a young rising OL led by the resurgent Gregzilla and Jaws. On D, he has The Mighty Quinn and Aaron (who needs an impressive moniker), the Incredible Brock, 'Tree, Barron, and TJ Mac. On special teams, there's the irrepressible Johnny Hekker (whose passer rating he has to top to receive full respect from his fellow Horns) and Jake McQuaid, who is so cool & efficient with his long snapping & blocking duties that no one ever remembers his name. This is all assuming Jerad is actually the Horn's choice, of course.