Family move. Advice needed!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thought about the Jacksonville, Fl area? My father-in-law uses the VA there and seems to like it. You could look around the Ocala/Gainesville area. I'm sure it'll be there for a few more centuries.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have very good friends in that area, but we're done with southern areas 'cuz of the summers (and other reasons).

The winters are a concern, for sure, but NO ONE is happy with these summers. And since SoCal is off the table (too expensive and we're from there with exactly ZERO desire to go back), we're likely looking at a 4 season place.

bnw

Pro Bowler
I have very good friends in that area, but we're done with southern areas 'cuz of the summers (and other reasons).
There's no escaping the TRUMP TRAIN even in the soon to be red state of Minnesota!:yay::yess::rolllaugh:(y)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well, the transition to Florida can be daunting. Insurance rates here are capricious and don't seem to have any logic and we're one hurricane away from another MASSIVE insurance crisis. They don't redline like in CA, but it's strange. Plus, for car insurance, they have this thing called "stacking" where you can stack the coverages. It's hard to explain and I don't think they do it anywhere else.

Florida drivers are the WORST in the US and among the worst in the world outside of India (where road signs and traffic lights are light suggestions). The tailgating is a REAL problem and with the exploding population there's now becoming more and more issues with flooding since the natural means of water dissipation are all being paved over.

And then there's snow birds, those that come down for the winter. They can turn an otherwise quiet town into congestion central. They tend to be elderly, so everything is off from commute times to how long a retail interaction takes (even things like getting gas). It's NOT a small thing. Some get really angry with snow birds. My family tends to just do our best to adjust, but knowing is very important. Certain business also try to charge snow birds and visitors more. I found out that some of the really nice seafood restaurants at the beach if you mention that you're a local will charge you less, sometimes a LOT less.

The bugs are a thing here. There are ghost ants which are everywhere. Every home has them and they're pervasive. There's also "No-see-ums" which are sometimes confused with sand fleas which fill some beaches. Their bite is like a red ant in that each one creates a pustule that you cannot break or it will be 10x worse. I got over 100 of them one day when my son was getting some pictures taken for school and I was on max doses of benedryl for like 3 days. And the cockroaches are serious concern in the same way that a deranged MMA fighter is serious concern. They're no joke.

The humidity is only really a problem (and I have asthma) in July and August. Other than that, the weather is pretty nice and I gotta admit when you look at the weather forecast and it's 80 degrees in Miami and Tampa and it's -10 in the North, just walking around in flip flops and shorts is nice. For some, that's the deal. I'm over it, but it is nice. For 8 months a year, it's about 90 degrees and 80+% humidity,

I find the people to be very nice. That said, it's hard to connect with people in that they're only here for the summer or this is just one of several moves that are job related before it's time to retire. I don't know many retirees, so I can't speak to that.

Lastly, it's an inverted state. The farther north in FL you go, the more "southern" it is. The farther south you go, the more "northern" it is.

Florida is a weird state. Like any place, it's got good and bad, but it's like an American evaluating a British car. The parts are all there, but it's aligned differently and some things don't make any sense unless you've grown up British.

Jeebus Effing Christmas Mac did you wake up with a sore vaganus this morning or what. Lighten up LOL.

LMAO!!! My family just gave me a huge bunch of crap about how much I love tapioca and how I'd have to make friends so I could get some home made, but then they'd have to ration it because I'd eat it all at once!

You once got on my ass about eating an entire container of Nutella and you eat that stuff.......have you tried it with Nutella in it? Hahaha.

And the Burgess Meredith outtakes are just...well, I'm rolling every time I see them

The skin boat to tuna town hit me so hard I had to hit pause and rewind. It was hilarious.

For those who don't know, I give you this gift:

The winters are a concern, for sure, but NO ONE is happy with these summers. And since SoCal is off the table (too expensive and we're from there with exactly ZERO desire to go back), we're likely looking at a 4 season place.

Satisfy that wanderlust and go visit a few places.

If you want cold weather/four seasons it will be Minny. I'll bet on it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, but a year and a half every four years it seems like it must be a never ending Politicon.

Hard pass. I'm passionate about policies, but terribly un-passionate about "Presidential contenders" regardless of party. Enough to make one want to risk blindness by drinking gallons of grain alcohol.

Gonna be driving through Iowa and if we end up near there catching the Iowa state fair which I understand is almost as good as the Great Minnesota Get Together. *ducks behind couch*

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hey, I can't believe I didn't think of this, but the state I grew up in, Oklahoma!

Specifically, northeastern Oklahoma in Tulsa or its surrounding areas (Owasso, Broken Arrow, Jenks, etc).

You'll get all the weather season (seriously, fall is the best) and...AND it's very quiet. This is something I miss a lot after moving to Houston.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Why not St. Louis, MO or Nashville, TN?

Uh, I would not suggest St. Louis to Mac. And this is coming from a girl who lives in St. Louis.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Uh, I would not suggest St. Louis to Mac. And this is coming from a girl who lives in St. Louis.
Why not? Doesn't have to live in the city. Lots of affordable homes within an hour of the VA especially if not having to drive during the rush hour. Much lighter winter than Minneapolis too with the 4 seasons.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Why not? Doesn't have to live in the city. Lots of affordable homes within an hour of the VA especially if not having to drive during the rush hour. Much lighter winter than Minneapolis too with the 4 seasons.

Disability is a concern.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I'm not following...

My point is that disability tends to be a bitch in Missouri. I'm disabled, and it's been like pulling teeth without anesthesia for me.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Then I don't understand. Is there some state by state ranking of services to the disabled you wish to share?

I don't have state by state rankings, but from living all my life in Missouri, I've had bad experiences with disability checks not coming in on time.

bnw

Pro Bowler
I don't have state by state rankings, but from living all my life in Missouri, I've had bad experiences with disability checks not coming in on time.
You were talking money while I was thinking access to services. OK good enough.(y)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm originally from Virginia so I'm a little biased but it definitely has four seasons and some beautiful places chocked full of history. I really don't know the status of VA hospitals there but I suspect all of them are going to be getting a little better in the next couple of years.