Falcons willing to move up from No. 6 in Round One

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Report: Falcons willing to move up from No. 6 in Round One
Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 25, 2014

350x3.jpg
AP

Three years ago, the Falcons made a bold move up the board in Round One to take wide receiver Julio Jones.

Now, it appears they are pondering trading up in the 2014 draft, too.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Falcons “are open” to dealing for an earlier pick in the first round.

The Falcons hold the No. 6 overall pick. The Texans (No. 1), Rams (No. 2), Jaguars (No. 3), Browns (No. 4) and Raiders (No. 5) select ahead of Atlanta.

Any move up the board would not be cheap for the Falcons, given the value of any of the early first-round picks in what is regarded as a deep draft.

The Falcons are not suitors for a quarterback. The big question, then, is whether any of the other five teams ahead of them are willing to take a passer, thus pushing the top talent at other positions down the board. The Falcons’ reported willingness to move up may suggest Atlanta believes it could have to grab an earlier spot to get its desired player.

Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson, South Carolina outside linebacker/defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack are among the top non-quarterback prospects in the upcoming draft, and all would fill needs for Atlanta.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
With the #6th overall pick in the NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select.....

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
With the #6th overall pick in the NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select.....

dropping to 6 scares me a little cause im hoping for Robinson or Watkins and I think both will be gone by then. if that were the case id be looking to trade down again.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
dropping to 6 scares me a little cause im hoping for Robinson or Watkins and I think both will be gone by then. if that were the case id be looking to trade down again.

Matthews and Mack would probably still be on board, maybe just Matthews. And if they wanted to trade down some more I would love it personally.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I, too, have been a big proponent of trading out of the #2 pick and had thought all along that ATL was the perfect partner. But now that the 3 QBs seem to have fallen from favor to a degree I am beginning to change my stance. I would hate to see us slide back to 6 and miss out on Watkins, Robinson and Matthews.

iced

i'd trade down again or take evans

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I wonder how willing they would be to trade up if Clowney is gone?

I would think it would depend on if they thought Robinson and Matthews would both be gone by pick 6 they need tackle help.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Why do you think every time they showed Snead at the combine he was cuddled up next to Dimitroff?

They was hammering out a deal! (y)

Alan

Legend
RamsJunkie with this:
I would think it would depend on if they thought Robinson and Matthews would both be gone by pick 6 they need tackle help.
They'd have to think that both those players were elite, I'm not sure anyone thinks Matthews is elite, and Lewan wasn't a viable alternative. Remember, they'd have to pay a very big price to trade up in a very deep draft. I don't think you do that unless you want an elite player. Or a QB.

Last edited:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
He also had another clunker when he said big Mike Williams was the best player in the Draft the year he came out. Couldn't believe he dropped to #10. Said the Lions got the steal if the Draft.

Having said that he was all over Russell Wilson two years ago. Said he would be a top 5 qb if he was a few inches taller.

so he's a bit hit and miss, like most talent evaluators.

Matthews and Mack would probably still be on board, maybe just Matthews. And if they wanted to trade down some more I would love it personally.

Matthews works for me just fine...
train

Ha if Matthews is the guy left it's a win win.. I'd rather have him anyways with him being more well rounded.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Being open to move up doesn't mean that they are willing to bend over and hand the Rams some vaseline.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Being open to move up doesn't mean that they are willing to bend over and hand the Rams some vaseline.
I could even envision ATL trading down for say, an Eric Ebron or Mike Evans(with T.Gonzales gone)...and then addressing the pass rush, OLine and RB later with additional picks. They made a few FA moves that gave them some flexibility. OG J.Asamoah,DE Tyson Jackson, OL Gabe Carimi(JAG for depth), and NT Paul Soliai.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Going down to 6 doesn't scare me at all in this draft.