Falcons fire Mike Smith

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Thinking that Julio Jones may be the reason Smith got fired! Those draft picks would have helped to make the team competitive! Oh well, hope that don't bite the Rams in the future!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thinking that Julio Jones may be the reason Smith got fired! Those draft picks would have helped to make the team competitive! Oh well, hope that don't bite the Rams in the future!

Nah. Better drafting with the picks they had and better use of their money would have.

It was time for Smith. They got stomped in their play in game with Carolina. He's been struggling the past two years.

Athos

Legend
Atlanta gave the Browns five -- five! -- draft picks: their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks this year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012.

No WR is worth that imo. Maybe not even Megatron. WRs just don't make enough of a difference in the game to warrant stupid trades like that. I mean, look at what Julio has done. Then look at what the Falcons have done as a team. Gotten nowhere.

They have no D.
They have no O-Line.

And honestly...they have no RB.

With all those picks they gave up, they could have gotten:

Muhammad Wilkerson/Aaron Williams/Stefen Wisniewski/Akeem Ayers in the 1st.

Cobb/Justin Houston/DeMarco Murray in the 2nd.

Julius Thomas in the 4th

of that year.

And

Cordy Glenn/Jeffery/Kendricks/Wagner/David with their 1st in 2012

and

a depth pick with their 4th.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
For a coach that got the job because of his defensive mind, you can't look at the team's performance on that side of the ball and expect to stick around.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Atlanta gave the Browns five -- five! -- draft picks: their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks this year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012.

No WR is worth that imo. Maybe not even Megatron. WRs just don't make enough of a difference in the game to warrant stupid trades like that. I mean, look at what Julio has done. Then look at what the Falcons have done as a team. Gotten nowhere.

They have no D.
They have no O-Line.

Julius Thomas in the 4th

of that year.

And

and

Or they could've drafted a bunch of busts. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They have no D.
They have no O-Line.

Julius Thomas in the 4th

of that year.

And

and

Or they could have picked players like Peter Konz, Lamar Holmes, Akeem Dent, and Malliciah Goodman. Want to know why they have all these issues? They didn't spend their money wisely and they botched the picks they had.(for the most part...Trufant was a great pick)

But what trade doesn't look stupid in hindsight when you list off all the successful players they could have had?

What are the odds they would have picked all those guys?(or any of them?)

Athos

Legend
Or they could've drafted a bunch of busts. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

Then they need to fire the guys in charge of their drafting, because even outside of this trade, ATL's drafting has been pure shit.

Akeem Dent - 3rd 2011 - nothing AND gone
Jacquizz Rodgers- 5th 2011 - mediocrity defined as a RB

Lamar Holmes - 3rd 2012 - never played a down
Bradie Ewing - 5th 2012 - nothing
Jonathan Massaquoi - 5th 2012 - not lived up to potential

Malliciah Goodman - 2013 4th - not much
Levine Toilolo - 2013 4th - not much
Stansly Maponga - 2013 5th - nothing

Ra'Shede Hageman - 2014 2nd - meh, though it was only his rookie year

To trade that much, gotta hit on lower picks and they have fallen flat hard in that area.

I look at ATL's D and nothing really impresses me besides Trufant who is excellent and who's talent in being wasted in ATL.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
When has selling your future ever turned out to be the right move? Build slowly and retain talent. Thats how you develop a playoff team. Examples: Patriots, Packers, Lions, Seahawks, Bengals, Cowboys, etc...

V3

Hall of Fame
Was that trade on Smith, though? I thought the owner wanted the trade? It's also on the GM for drafting better with the picks they still had.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Nah, not wining in the playoffs did. Julio Jones is a monster. 66 wins in his tenure as head coach. Pretty impressive.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
A friend of mine is a Falcons fan and told me that they're going to be bringing in Todd Bowles to interview for the HC position.

That would be great news for us!

Last edited:

Walter

Rookie
Who is available that is better than Smith? Not that I know what I am talking about, but I never understand all the coaching changes when the replacement doesn't seem to be an improvement. For example, Chicago firing Lovie Smith and bringing in what's his name. I guess it is just organizations looking for a change or a spark. And I guess you can't fire the majority of the roster. I always like way the Steelers operate. There are going to be ups and downs every year. Even Don Shula, Bill Walsh or Vince Lombardi didn't win every year.