Falcons cut veteran wideout Roddy White

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/02/falcons-cut-veteran-wideout-roddy-white/

Falcons cut veteran wideout Roddy White
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 2, 2016

The Falcons are going to have a whole new look at wide receiver next year.

The team announced it was releasing veteran wideout Roddy White, ending a brilliant 11-year run with the team.

“Roddy is one of the greatest players to ever put on a Falcons uniform, and even more importantly he is a man of tremendous character that I and my entire family have profound personal affection and respect for,” Falcons owner Arthur Blank said in a statement released by the team. “I have developed a special relationship with him over the years, my children have grown admiring him and our partners and I all share a debt of gratitude for what he has meant to us and our team. Truly, there are no words to adequately express my thanks for all he has meant to me, my family, the Falcons and to this community, both on and off the field. He has been a difference maker in every way and has touched numerous lives here in Atlanta.

“Roddy will forever be part of the Falcons family and I’m confident our fans will always remember and be grateful for the exemplary way he has represented them over the last 11 years. We wish him nothing but the very best and, on a personal level, we look forward to a lifetime relationship with Roddy and his family.”

The 34-year-old receiver said recently he was betting he’d be back, but he lost that wager, and the $4.25 million he was scheduled to make this year.

He’s the Falcons’ all-time leader with 808 catches, 10,863 receiving yards and 63 touchdowns. The 2005 first-rounder became less and less of a part of the offense last year, and wasn’t above grumbling about it. Now, he gets to see if anyone else is willing to ask him to do more than block.

Ram65

Legend
Well, he seemed to have tailed off but I don't watch the Falcons much.

If Rams had a QB and where closer to being a SB contender he could help. Rams need young studs at WR.

Just read he is 34, Thought he was 31 or 32. That's old for NFL WR.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Grab his ass if he'll sign a decent older vet deal. Not sure he will. He wouldn't with ATL.

Edit: $4.2 mil? Sign him now.

…..

Legend
I didn't watch Roddy exclusively but I do live in Atlanta and the rumblings have been going on for 2 years about his ability to get open. From my view point, the addition of Julio Jones as one of the leagues top 3 wide outs reduced Whites touches to the point where he was almost phased out. When Hankerson started to get the 2nd looks over Roddy, the grumbling started, and Roddy has never been one to mince his words.

I believe he once said last year "I'm not here to fuck around all game and block, I'm here to catch footballs"

He might have a little fire left.....I'm not real sure.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Yet another vet receiver in the mix. Add this to the list with Marques Colston, James Jones, and Anquan Boldin. All these guys are short term answers but we are looking weak at WR right now.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't know how much he has left. At least signing him wouldn't affect draft pick compensation, since he was cut, and didn't play out his contract.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Consider the draft has almost nothing at WR...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yet another vet receiver in the mix. Add this to the list with Marques Colston, James Jones, and Anquan Boldin. All these guys are short term answers but we are looking weak at WR right now.
I agree but we also see that vet receivers (true vets - not second contract FAs) know how to play, teach, and be part of a team. Personally, I think it is the one position where an older vet really can help a team.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He at least used to be a good route runner. I'm sure the Rams are carefully checking out 2015 film to see if they think he has anything left.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It's moments like these when I really hate being a Rams fan. Anytime some washed up former star either gets released, is pending retirement or opts out of a contract we automatically think he will succeed here because "it's better then what we have". Not calling anyone out, but it's just frustrating we have resort to this thinking constantly.

Debacled

Starter
Roddy has looked pretty well done for a few years now, he was okish in 2014 but thats it. Even with a lack of anything proven on the roster here he probably wouldn't make the roster. If having Julio Jones across from you can't keep you relevant not much can.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'll be disappointed if the Rams bring in any free agent WR over 30 not named Anquan Boldin.