Fairley and Ayers Good Fits for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Bernie: Fairley and Ayers good fits for Rams
By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_371e80b2-52bf-5b0d-9796-a24c802e86e7.html

Greetings from Jupiter ... I'm watching the Cardinals and Marlins play at Roger Dean Stadium but wanted to take a few minutes to discuss the Rams' signings of free-agent defensive tackle Nick Fairley and outside linebacker Akeem Ayers.

There's risk involved, because Fairley was up and down in his career with the Detroit Lions. Fairley wasn't always in the best shape, and his effort was questioned at times. And last season Fairley didn't play after Oct. 26 because of a knee injury.

But the big man is talented. He's one of the best pass-rushing defensive tackles in the NFL, and it isn't easy to find guys that can generate that inside rush on a consistent basis. According to Pro Football Focus, Fairley has been a top-15 pass rusher at the position in each of the last three seasons _ with just under 100 total QB pressures since the start of the 2012 season.

Not only that, but with this signing the Rams have an imposing tackle rotation with Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, and Fairley. The Rams already had a good, disruptive defensive line. And now it should be even better. Donald is already one of the league's premiere DTs. Brockers has been disappointing in his three seasons as a Ram but still has the talent and attitude to be an elite performer at DT.

The Rams gave Fairley a one-year deal for a guaranteed $5 million and with incentives it could grow to $8 million. Fairley should be fired up, because he'll be part of a group that will be relentless in getting after the quarterback. And Fairley will be playing for his next contract.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher is paying Fairley some good money in 2015 _ but he's also giving Fairley an opportunity to reestablish his value for a potential long-term deal. Fairley seems like an ideal candidate for a Fisher career-rehab special.

I also liked the Rams' signing of Ayers, a strong-side LB who ranked among the NFL's top outside linebackers in a 4-3 alignment in 2013. Ayers was with Tennessee at the time, with Gregg Williams serving on the Titans staff as a defensive consultant/adviser. Williams, the Rams' defensive coordinator, obviously knows how to maximize Ayers' effectiveness. That's a reason to have a good feeling about Ayers' chances for success in STL.

Ayers was ranked No. 4 among all OLBs by Pro Football Focus in '13 but wasn't as comfortable in the change to a 3-4 alignment last season before the Titans moved him to New England.

If Ayers starts opposite of Alec Olgletree, the Rams will have two outside linebackers that can run well, blitz, and cover a lot of ground. Akers had 33 total QB pressures in '13, and that fits the profile coveted by Fisher and Williams.

Now that we've offered some praise here, it's time to ask the question again: when will the Rams restock their offensive line?

Maybe they're planning to win low-scoring games in 2015 and are lining up extra defensive help.

Thanks for reading ...

- Bernie

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't care about PFF.

I love it that we're scaring the knowledgeable fans in Seattle and AZ.

Our Front Seven is just plain scary in real way.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Glad I read this. I hadn't realized that Brockers was a disappointment. I myself have been happy with him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think those who don't know Ayers, will be very impressed with his versatility, and the dude is a playmaker on defense. He has good instincts.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Detroit fans are kind of knocking the Fairely pick up, but I tend to think that's sour grapes. He's got a fresh start here and I hope he makes the most of it.
I don't know why Bernie is knocking Brockers, I think the guy brings it every game and I've never seen him as a disappointment.
I have to admit I have no real value to add on Ayers. Not a name I've followed but being that Williams has worked with him before I have to believe he's going to fit in well with our scheme.

A55VA6

Legend
Gotta say, I'm very impressed with these signings. Obviously the Rams need to start looking at OL but I trust that they will put together a solid group in late FA and draft.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Why you always gotta be so fucking negative Bernie? Fuck off.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't care about PFF.

I love it that we're scaring the knowledgeable fans in Seattle and AZ.

Our front five on the other side of the ball is just as scary!....just in a different kind of way.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Detroit fans are kind of knocking the Fairely pick up, but I tend to think that's sour grapes. He's got a fresh start here and I hope he makes the most of it.
I don't know why Bernie is knocking Brockers, I think the guy brings it every game and I've never seen him as a disappointment.
I have to admit I have no real value to add on Ayers. Not a name I've followed but being that Williams has worked with him before I have to believe he's going to fit in well with our scheme.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/akeem-ayers?id=2495491
LB1
Akeem Ayers
LB UCLA
2495491.jpg

fb-like.png

share-button.png

When he came out from: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/akeem-ayers?id=2495491
Grade 7.89
9.00-10 Once-in-lifetime player
8.00-8.99 Perennial All-Pro

7.50-7.99 Future All-Pro
7.00-7.49 Pro Bowl-caliber player
6.50-6.99 Chance to become Pro Bowl-caliber player
6.00-6.49 Should become instant starter

• 4.88 SEC
  • 18 REPS
  • 31.0 INCH
  • 116.0 INCH
  • 7.49 SEC
  • 4.28 SEC
  • 11.93 SEC
  • 6'3" Height
  • 33" Arm Length
  • 254LBS. Weight
  • 9" Hands
Overview
Ayers is very impressive on the hoof and he has the speed and athleticism to make an immediate impact at the next level. He has the range and ball skills to play strong side linebacker in a 4-3, and the balance and closing burst to play outside linebacker in a 3-4. He lacks the lower body strength to be stout against the run, but uses his long arms to keep blockers away from his body and flashes the ability to quickly shed. Ayers is a versatile athlete with great measurables that projects to be selected in the middle of the first round.

Analysis
Strengths
Ayers is tall with a thick muscular build. Possesses the speed to make plays from sideline-to-sideline. Very capable edge rusher that shows good bend and a closing burst. Very athletic kid that has the ball skills to make interceptions and flashes playmaking abilities. Delivers violent shots tackling and uses his length to make plays even when he is out of position.
Weaknesses
A little late reading his keys and can get caught out of position. Does not have the lower body strength to blow up blockers in run support. Lacks consistent footwork in his back pedal and allows tight ends and backs to get behind him at times. Tends to tackle a bit high.

I thought he was going to run a 4.6. He plays fast. Has had some injuries, finished the season with the Patriots. Has very good ball skills, and a good pass rusher from the 4-3.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't care about PFF.

I love it that we're scaring the *knowledgeable fans in Seattle and AZ.

*Key word

Rams get zero respect from the fans i read in AZ. Actually they don't seem to be willing to give any recognition to ANY other team. It's funny.
Seattle and SF fans read far more objective from the boards i visit. It's like Cardinals fans are insecure or something.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
*Key word

Rams get zero respect from the fans i read in AZ. Actually they don't seem to be willing to give any recognition to ANY other team. It's funny.
Seattle and SF fans read far more objective from the boards i visit. It's like Cardinals fans are insecure or something.
It's their arrogant, fruity hat wearing coach.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ayers is bigger than i thought he was. Solid under the radar signing. 3rd and long is going to be a bloodbath for opposing offenses this year.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Resign McLeod and look at one more LB in the Draft who can back up and play ST. With the recent additions of Ayers and Fairley the defense looks stout and has great depth with Hayes, Sims and Westbrooks. I am so pumped to watch this D in 2015! 60 sacks should be within reach if they can stay healthy.