Fair, interesting article about Rams salary cap

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Thought there was some good, balanced perspective in this article. Doesn’t sugarcoat the problems but isn’t doom-n-gloom either.

Yes, Rams have made aggressive investments in their star players. Yes, they need those star players to play up to their contracts.

Rams definitely have challenges ahead— limited cap space and limited draft capital. But McVay and the FO are solid, and with a good offseason they *could* get back to championship form.

TexasRam

Legend
2020 Will be tight but honestly 25 million in space and then the league adjustment and a few cuts we are looking at 40-50 million in cap space. The Key is Oline draft picks. The ones we have and the ones next year. And Maybe a veteran in Free Agency. And we are back on top.

2021 we will have 100million in cap space before the league adjustment. And I see about another 25 Million in space we can free up if we make some cuts.

So, I would say we are in fine shape, but we have to address Oline in Free Agency and the draft and land those picks. That is what is comes down to.

One trade I'll get murdered for even suggesting but could get us quickly back on track is our man Cooper Kupp. We could get a first round for him and turn it into a Olineman. By 2021 Kupp will get paid big money and honestly we have the horses at WR to make the Super Bowl without him, in fact we already have proven we can do that. Out of the box idea but he may be the sacrificial lamb, or Ram, to get us back on top. Woods and Cooks will still be on the books in 2021, Cooks has too much guaranteed money to cut, and Woods is a bargain.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
One trade I'll get murdered for even suggesting but could get us quickly back on track is our man Cooper Kupp. We could get a first round for him and turn it into a Olineman.
Not going to commit homicide but let's say we do that and that pick turns out to be just "okay" or a bust or takes 2 years to develop. Chances are very good that we'd be looking to replace our best WR AND waiting on a first round pick to make an impact. IMO a move like that would be suicidal.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
No way he brings back a 1st rounder.
coming off a knee injury and his numbers are down.
I think the one year of control would have more to do with it than the knee injury. He’s proving he’s healthy this season. If he had two years left on his original deal I would say he brings in a 1st rounder.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If our window is closing I don't think its because of the salary cap issues. Some players we counted on are regressing. The most important player is our quarterback and its clear to anyone he's regressing. Our coach seems to be stuck in the mud with play calling too. He's getting out coached by opposing defensive coaches.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If our window is closing I don't think its because of the salary cap issues. Some players we counted on are regressing. The most important player is our quarterback and its clear to anyone he's regressing. Our coach seems to be stuck in the mud with play calling too. He's getting out coached by opposing defensive coaches.

Nah, the running game regressed dramatically, thus the QB/ passing game has regressed.

Fix the running game and you fix the QB and offense overall.

Few if any QBs can excell with no running game. Wilson is having a great year, yet he often throws less than 25 passes a game due to his strong running game.

Jackson could be the MVP, yet without Ingram and that rushing attack, he would be much less if he had to throw 35 plus times a game.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
If trade anyone it's going to be higs cooks or Everett we won't trade our best WR

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
On offense I'd like to let Cooks, Thomas, Natson, Brown and one of the tight ends go. Get rid of Demby completely. Let Blythe go unless we can't find a better center. On defense I'd let Brockers, Fowler, NRC and probably Weddle go.

I'd like to try to keep Littleton.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
It is a fair article. It is a good thing Snead's strength is scouting and finding good value in the draft.

I have no issue with paying Goff. The issue is that paying defensive lineman, running backs, and wide receivers huge money is probably not the way to build a team. Those are all positions where value is probably easiest to find.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
How expensive is Kupps market tbh? He has a knee injury, and he hasnt been to the Pro Bowl or topped 1000 yrds yet, and one if not both of those may not happen this season unless things turn around.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Interesting? Yeah, I guess, but fair? I’m not so sure. The rams are a big target, splashy free agents, big time players makin big time money, handsome coach. This year the Rams have taken a step back, whatever the reason, and there have been several articles like this one, usually about the contracts they’ve given out. The only reason I question the fairness of the criticism is that the eagles seem to be having a similarly disappointing year for many of the same reasons and you never hear anyone suggest that Carson Wentz was created by the system and never should have been extended. It’s been said that the difference between Wentz and Goff is that Goff needs everything to be right to have success whereas Wentz is talented enough to carry a team on his back. Clearly he hasn’t been able to do that, has Pederson been “figured out” the eagle offense doesn’t seem anything like what it used to be.
Everyone says the Rams are going to be screwed by the cap, I don’t think they have screwed themselves right before the opening of Kroenke world.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When we get through 2020 there will be little problem with our cap. We just have to get through next year and keep drafting well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Cooks and Gurley are the overpays. Nobody bats a thousand. However...

Re: Gurley that contract can be offset in terms of production with cheap depth, as RB can be found well into every draft. Plus Hendy has shown promise I would just like to see them get a battering ram type back who can play some FB too for versatility. That would toughen us up a bit vs the more physical fronts. The key here though is them fixing the OL which will dramatically change opinions on the RB group.

Re: Cooks we are very fortunate to have a staff that can coach up the WR position. So while wideouts are a bit harder to find the success rate of non-first round picks has been pretty good. I do think the Cooks overpay is the biggest issue and IMO we are going to see Woods become an issue (I believe he is going to want a restructure more commensurate with his role in this offense).

Re: the secondary IF they get Ramsey inked the roster is strong. To the point where I think they shave money off the cap by moving NRC.

Re: the OL you have Whit coming off the books and that money will go to a FA OG addition. They'll add a young lineman in the draft and with Boom & Allen returning you will have competition and depth.

The question with the cap is whether you can stack a roster that doesn't have holes which will kill you. I think it's doable next season and as we go forward it will get easier.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
One trade I'll get murdered for even suggesting but could get us quickly back on track is our man Cooper Kupp.

1575318036062.png

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No way he brings back a 1st rounder.
coming off a knee injury and his numbers are down.

What do you mean by his numbers are down? He has career highs across board.

I would expect more than just a first rounder - he's the best WR on the team IMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What do you mean by his numbers are down? He has career highs across board.

I would expect more than just a first rounder - he's the best WR on the team IMO.
Prior to yesterday game, (when I posted that) he had been struggling since the monster he threw at Cincinnati. Only 9 catches on 17 targets in 3 games, 88 yards and 0 td. His catch rate was career low and his targets per TD were way low.
He was a complete non factor in Pittsburgh, a #1 draft pick isn't expected a goose egg.
Love Kupp, glad he's ours. But a 1st round pick for him? Nah

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Kupp is no better than Amendola, he's been traded around and never garnered a very high pick. Kupp will not break the bank when his time comes. He needs to stay here

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
One trade I'll get murdered for even suggesting but could get us quickly back on track is our man Cooper Kupp. We could get a first round for him and turn it into a Olineman. By 2021 Kupp will get paid big money and honestly we have the horses at WR to make the Super Bowl without him, in fact we already have proven we can do that. Out of the box idea but he may be the sacrificial lamb, or Ram, to get us back on top. Woods and Cooks will still be on the books in 2021, Cooks has too much guaranteed money to cut, and Woods is a bargain.

How quickly we forget the days of Chris Givens, Brian Quick, and Kenny Britt. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Only consider trading Kupp for a known commodity, and a damn good one at that.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
When we get through 2020 there will be little problem with our cap. We just have to get through next year and keep drafting well.

it would not be difficult to project a playoff season in 2020 and a better situation in’21.