Factors that make this a huge game for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
First off we always tend to think each game is the most important of the season. I don't think this one meets that criteria, as the biggest game thus far was that quality check vs the Colts that they passed. There's a big one coming up after this that will be the second biggest game IMO when they face Seattle, who is the team you gotta go through if you want to win this division.

But all that said, this game is huge for the Rams from a national and media awareness perspective. Check out this broadcast map:

Week_4_broadcast_map.png

Now some might say this is just like the whiner game, which was nationally televised. But it's not. This is the Cowboys, whose nuts the media squat on. Everyone knows or looks at the Boys as a playoff team even given that lackluster start, and rightly so. And man do we have some storylines...

"Dak the round 3 best QB of the draft that Goff headlined." I think it's stupid, as both are probably going to have long and successful careers. But fans and media love to compare and don't think this isn't lost on the two QBs. This is an ego game for them, and both are facing defenses that haven't looked too good thus far.

"Elliot the best RB in the league vs the RB the league forgot in Gurley." Another kinda stupid thing to do, but it's there man. It's a story. And just like with the QBs don't think the players aren't aware.

"Wade Phillips vs the team that fired him." You can't tell me the defense rebounding this week wouldn't be a huge deal for Wade. I just have to think the players know this, and also I have to think they're pi$$ed off about the offense carrying them to a 2-1 record. They might get beat down by a quality Cowboy offense, but the effort's gonna be profound IMO.

"Elite WR Dez Bryant vs overrated CB Trumaine Johnson." Lot of DBs have shut Dez down since he signed his extension. His play and technique have been questioned in the media and rightly so. But he's still considered to be an elite, top 5 guy by a lot of folks in the media while Trumaine is an afterthought on the defensive side. You know what this is? A huge opportunity for Tru to make himself a metric @$$ ton of respect. I want to say he's going to have a huge game, but I don't trust him with his up/down play.

"Martin and the Dallas OL vs Donald." AD has hurt the team with his holdout and not being his normal self out the gate. Dallas still has one of the finest OLs in the league, an elite unit. This is a big game for Aaron to reestablish himself as the elite player he thinks he is, who deserves the ridiculous high-end money he held out for.

"Watkins is always injured and non-elite as a WR." I have always been in the camp that Sammy didn't have an offense in Buffalo that could maximize his ability. Well this is the type of game, with the media focus and whatnot, that can change a WR's "standing" in the minds of the talking heads. I found it interesting that while GMFB discussed the game and even felt like the Rams might be able to prove themselves, they went on to discuss how elite Dez is and didn't mention Sammy. Big, big game for him in that perspective.

This game and matchup has me pretty nervous. I'm worried and don't want to see this team dip to 2-2. I want that third win dammit. So from that perspective I'm pretty geeked up to see this one, and even though it's not a "huge" game compared to what we have the following weekend vs Seattle it's big for a lot of the Rams players who have positioned themselves to get a little limelight. So here's hoping that happens.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
First off we always tend to think each game is the most important of the season. I don't think this one meets that criteria, as the biggest game thus far was that quality check vs the Colts that they passed. There's a big one coming up after this that will be the second biggest game IMO when they face Seattle, who is the team you gotta go through if you want to win this division.

But all that said, this game is huge for the Rams from a national and media awareness perspective. Check out this broadcast map:

Week_4_broadcast_map.png

Now some might say this is just like the whiner game, which was nationally televised. But it's not. This is the Cowboys, whose nuts the media squat on. Everyone knows or looks at the Boys as a playoff team even given that lackluster start, and rightly so. And man do we have some storylines...

"Dak the round 3 best QB of the draft that Goff headlined." I think it's stupid, as both are probably going to have long and successful careers. But fans and media love to compare and don't think this isn't lost on the two QBs. This is an ego game for them, and both are facing defenses that haven't looked too good thus far.

"Elliot the best RB in the league vs the RB the league forgot in Gurley." Another kinda stupid thing to do, but it's there man. It's a story. And just like with the QBs don't think the players aren't aware.

"Wade Phillips vs the team that fired him." You can't tell me the defense rebounding this week wouldn't be a huge deal for Wade. I just have to think the players know this, and also I have to think they're pi$$ed off about the offense carrying them to a 2-1 record. They might get beat down by a quality Cowboy offense, but the effort's gonna be profound IMO.

"Elite WR Dez Bryant vs overrated CB Trumaine Johnson." Lot of DBs have shut Dez down since he signed his extension. His play and technique have been questioned in the media and rightly so. But he's still considered to be an elite, top 5 guy by a lot of folks in the media while Trumaine is an afterthought on the defensive side. You know what this is? A huge opportunity for Tru to make himself a metric @$$ ton of respect. I want to say he's going to have a huge game, but I don't trust him with his up/down play.

"Martin and the Dallas OL vs Donald." AD has hurt the team with his holdout and not being his normal self out the gate. Dallas still has one of the finest OLs in the league, an elite unit. This is a big game for Aaron to reestablish himself as the elite player he thinks he is, who deserves the ridiculous high-end money he held out for.

"Watkins is always injured and non-elite as a WR." I have always been in the camp that Sammy didn't have an offense in Buffalo that could maximize his ability. Well this is the type of game, with the media focus and whatnot, that can change a WR's "standing" in the minds of the talking heads. I found it interesting that while GMFB discussed the game and even felt like the Rams might be able to prove themselves, they went on to discuss how elite Dez is and didn't mention Sammy. Big, big game for him in that perspective.

This game and matchup has me pretty nervous. I'm worried and don't want to see this team dip to 2-2. I want that third win dammit. So from that perspective I'm pretty geeked up to see this one, and even though it's not a "huge" game compared to what we have the following weekend vs Seattle it's big for a lot of the Rams players who have positioned themselves to get a little limelight. So here's hoping that happens.
GO RAMS!!
-dancing-rams-2.gif
34-23 Rams Win!!!!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I agree this game is important from a media perception perspective. We win this AND Seattle and we will be instantly respected. Lose either of them and the long climb to respectability continues slowly.

Few people recognize that Dallas turned over 2/5 of their line and THAT is why they aren't as dominant as their reputation. Dak is the new RWilson so he has my respect and Zeke is a true beast RB. Dez continues to be dangerous on splash plays and T Williams is the guy that scares me the most against our D. Beasley will win some annoying 3rd down conversions and we can expect the old vet Witten to hurt us a couple times. With that said, I expect Wade to dial up a few blitzes that get home and disrupt the Pokes.

On the other side of the ball, AZ's PATHETIC OL masked just how bad this Dallas defense really is. The coordinator (Marinelli) was a wizard last year and used every ounce of smoke and every available mirror to prop up a flawed unit. They were finally exposed as pretenders in the playoffs against the Pack. Now they turned over their entire secondary, lost a couple to injury, and are damned lucky they weren't more exposed because D Lawrence abused the Card's Veldheer so badly. If I'm McVay...I give Goff this tip...6 DB's like they did vs AZ and we run. If they put ANY of those scrubs singled against Sammy, Woods, Kupp, or Everett, BOMBS AWAY!!!!

The Redskin game humbled us because the defensive weaknesses were made glaring and the offense had moments of frustration. That is entirely possible again in Arlington but if this team actually employs their talent and follows the superior instruction this staff provides...we could see a 39-19 game and someone will post that score never happened before

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Let's show the rest of the NFL world the potential and talent this team has !

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Mc Vay has got to have the Rams play fast-break football to score points and tire out the Cowboys Defense and make them one dimensional. Otherwise, Rams Defense might get ran all over and the outcome is over quickly.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
There are many story lines here. And I too am worried about the outcome. But in all serious, I could care less if the national media does or does not give us respect. They don't truly figure into the equation. This is going to simply be the Rams vs. the Cowboys for top tier positioning in each individual division and possibly maybe playoff ramifications if we both take care of our business from here on out. We still have some growing to do and a big win over the Chowboys would show we are ahead of our curve. But every week we will have these tests to pass. We simply have to play mistake free football, control the clock and slow down the other team's offense when on defense. Storylines aside....it really is that simple. That been said...we do have a large test in front of us. And I'll be the loudest guy in the room if we pass it....... Go Rams!