FA Guards drying up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Gotta think they go guard with one of their first 4 picks.

Thinking more and more and more that it's either Matthews or Robinson with the first pick to play that starting guard/backup tackle role.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

Thinking more and more and more that it's either Matthews or Robinson with the first pick to play that starting guard/backup tackle role.

We really haven't left ourselves with much choice in the matter.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
The thing that scares me now is that it means that the return of Smith and Williams is more likely. Not a thought to warm the hearts of those who like their QB's upright.

PhxRam

The thing that scares me now is that it means that the return of Smith and Williams is more likely. Not a thought to warm the hearts of those who like their QB's upright.

you need an avatar rocketman..

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have to agree although we still don't know what the thinking is at Rams Park.

Maybe they think Jones is going to be a starter to fill one of the G slots Barnes and Wells are still there.

Use #2 to pick one of Matthews/Robinson and trade up from 13 to get the other one?????

Use #2 to pick one of Matthews/Robinson and take Su'aFilo in the second round

tbux

Rookie
We really haven't left ourselves with much choice in the matter.

I couldn't disagree more. we have a lot of options. Our D just the way it is was dominant at times last year- add in Williams running the show- and it should be even better and more consistent. Yes we need a FS- that is only one pick there. the rest of the D minus needed depth is fine.

Offense all we actually need is a OG- doesn't have to be the top pick- yes we need depth etc- but straight dire needs- FS and OG are the only 2 crucial picks- and both can be had in rounds 2 or 3 to be honest- but odds are we address either earlier. If we wanted to go WR with the top pick- we could- and we are not forced to draft any position with the top pick. That will be the assumption- but it isn't. Still have way more FA to go- and again, only 2 dire spots to fill plus depth. we aren't in as bad a situation as many are thinking at all.

PhxRam

I couldn't disagree more. we have a lot of options. Our D just the way it is was dominant at times last year- add in Williams running the show- and it should be even better and more consistent. Yes we need a FS- that is only one pick there. the rest of the D minus needed depth is fine.

Offense all we actually need is a OG- doesn't have to be the top pick- yes we need depth etc- but straight dire needs- FS and OG are the only 2 crucial picks- and both can be had in rounds 2 or 3 to be honest- but odds are we address either earlier. If we wanted to go WR with the top pick- we could- and we are not forced to draft any position with the top pick. That will be the assumption- but it isn't. Still have way more FA to go- and again, only 2 dire spots to fill plus depth. we aren't in as bad a situation as many are thinking at all.

I love the optimism but we really only have one sure bet on the OL.. Barksdale.

tbux

Rookie
Long, Wells, Barnes, Jones, Barksdale- plus a few middle- low end FA's and draft- we will be fine- Bou as usual will do his thing. My only point is it doesn't have to be the top pick- it may turn out that way- and surely there is logic in that thought- my point was it doesn't HAVE to be like some have said. Esp if we get a trade down giving us more picks.

PhxRam

I really wanted to disagree with this...damn you realists

Everyone single member of the OL is an unknown. Even Barksdale is a unknown until he shows us what he can do over the course of an entire year.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone single member of the OL is an unknown. Even Barksdale is a unknown until he shows us what he can do over the course of an entire year.

That is a scary thought....theres got to be a plan though...right?

Alan

Legend
About as good as Shiva's but much better than praying to Oberon the King of the Fairies. Oberon 's got nymphs though so...

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

I've been one favoring Watkins.

And that said, even if we had gotten the best FA guard available, I'd still want another guard with one of the first four picks... more like the first three actually.

If we can't get anyone decent in FA, that could push me over to the draft a tackle and play him as guard camp... and then STILL draft another guard.

Although, 2 rookie guards would make me a bit nervous.

PhxRam

Long, Wells, Barnes, Jones, Barksdale- plus a few middle- low end FA's and draft- we will be fine- Bou as usual will do his thing. My only point is it doesn't have to be the top pick- it may turn out that way- and surely there is logic in that thought- my point was it doesn't HAVE to be like some have said. Esp if we get a trade down giving us more picks.

Long - Injured, who knows if/when he comes back 100%
Wells - Could be cut, fragile, injury prone
Jones - Hasnt played enough to know anything. Unknown.
Barnes - Filled in admirably, cut it over the course of 16 games? Unknown
Barksdale - Has yet to play 16 games, played decent when starting.

Sounds promising to me.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Long - Injured, who knows if/when he comes back 100%
Wells - Could be cut, fragile, injury prone
Jones - Hasnt played enough to know anything. Unknown.
Barnes - Filled in admirably, cut it over the course of 16 games? Unknown
Barksdale - Has yet to play 16 games, played decent when starting.

Sounds promising to me.

Agree so lets draft Clowney or Watkins at #2.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I love the optimism but we really only have one sure bet on the OL.. Barksdale.

Lets see if I can get some positive things out of a very negative forum at the moment....

The 6-5 326 pound Barksdale started his third NFL season as the Rams swing OT...a non starter. A freak thing happen starting ORT Rodger Saffold was injured in the second game....a rare event for Saffold.....Barksdale was inserted into starting ORT next to Harvey Dahl....things were a little shaky but slowly JB began to work it out...JB got better neither very good @ run blocking nor pass blocking but he did OK...soon Saffold got healthy but when Boudreau rotated Rodger & Joe....another strange thing appeared .....JB was just a better ORT than Rodger...Boudreau could not believe his eyes and for several weeks this strange rotation continued....Finally Boudreau gave up and gave the starting post completely to Joe. Anyway Boudreau had ongoing issues a few feet left of ORT and so Rodger went inside.

Fast forward to this morning...Rodger departed from us went out & got rich with a 42 plus million $$$ contract in the Bay area of California of course most of that $$$ will end up in the coffers of Jerry Brown. Meanwhile Rams was left with a OL'er who just happened to beat the 42 million player out of his starting position. truth is Saffold was removed from his starting OLT post by Boudreau. Then Rodger followed that 2013 off season act by performing a follow up act where he was removed from his starting ORT post by the positive play of a former WWC.

Now I wonder if Rodger who lost two starting OL positions in less than two seasons can go out & get 42 million what would the OL who beat Rodger out get in UFA in 2015? It could be a good ideal to use some of the 2014 cap funds and sign the Ol'er who beat Rodger out?

Last edited: