Eyes Eval: State of the Union

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Bradford is a franchise QB when healthy. The unfortunate injury predicament will mean we can wrap him up with a cap friendly, incentive laden contract. Go cheap and draft potential. It's Hill's team for now.

Hill is VERY GOOD short and Mid-Ranged. Deep passes represent less than 5% of most offenses anyway. Tom Brady has been quite successful with less than average deep passing efficiency. Bradford could've made this offense special but I'm done crying over spilled ....

The running game is in good hands. While Stacy consistently gains positive yards even when blocking assignments break down, Cunningham seems to be more instinctive at finding opportunity for big gains. Mason has a future here but needs grooming to become a feature back. Watts should be prepped to assume the role originally envisioned for Pead and may actually become an upgrade in time. In the meantime, Austin will get most of the plays planned for Pead this year. It's too bad he can't pass block nearly as well.

Oh, the receivers. Bailey and Hill already have good chemistry due to Bailey's ability to gain separation and get to Hill's spot. Yet Britt and Quick will likely fit Hill's gunslinger mentality best when a deeper gamble throw is in order. Austin will have his moments and will keep defense's occupied trying to limit the potential damage he can cause. Givens will be part of the rotation but his role will be more limited due to his hands and lapses of focus. Cook and Kendricks will see their share of catches but Harkey's run blocking will gain him a more important role.

The health of the OLine will ultimately determine the success of this offense. Each inevitable injury will impact continuity and productivity. Long looks like a shell of his former self but his professionalism gives me hope he will round into 90% of that standard. Robinson needs time to develop but will likely get his OJT due to injury to the vets. Wells is effective and looks stronger this year but I'd be shocked if Barnes won't have to fill in during the season. Saffold is the key to a dominant run game but counting on his health is like counting on my daughter to clean her room (not bloody likely). The worries I have about the afore-mentioned linemen is exactly why I value Barksdale. This guy consistently does his job. Joseph is far better than his PFF grades the last few years. Bond is our next man up and my sleeper keeper,

This is the scariest DLine I've ever seen and I grew up w the Foursome. While the top 4 (whether you count Langford or Donald) doesn't match that dominant legend, the depth of this group is unparalleled. I believe the Rams have nine players that could star on other teams.

I've been excited to see how JLau would fare behind this line in Williams' system. Alas, I'm still waiting. Watching the run D get repeatedly gashed by blown assignments and missed tackles worries me. Sometimes it appears to be the product of exotic looks that get exposed. Ogletree is a STUD, but Dunbar and Armstrong both flash occasionally but frequently give up big plays. There is no depth here so I guess we are watching the waiver wire.

I'm pleased with what I've seen from Joyner, McDonald, and Gaines, but these guys are scary green. Losing Johnson hurts but we may get him back by the time we really need him. I haven't seen enough of Jenkins to say if he's better or worse than last year. McLeod continues to be unspectacular but at least he seems to be able to handle the mental side of his position. That's more than I can say for the rest of the athletic but generally confused kids that round out this group.

The Browns game was one of the worst special teams debacles I've witnessed in the Lou, and that's sayin something. While I'm not panicking yet, I hope Fassel returns this unit to last year's standards for coverage and we get to see Austin do his thing without the yellow laundry. Hekker looks every bit the perennial Pro Bowler he's becoming but I'm hoping The Leg now has his misses out of the way.

Is it just me, or does Fisher seem more surly this year? I think the repeated Sam questions are wearing thin to him. I just get the feeling he wishes he could get a media holiday. He may not have reached LaRussa levels of irritation, but I sense he's getting there. But if he gets LaRussa-like results, I'm all for it.

The Viking game can't get here soon enough for me.