Expectations of coach McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So I realise it's early days we are building our coaching staff and there free agency and the draft and a long way till the new season but what do you expect/want from the McVay's Rams ..

What record would be acceptable to you ?
What would you like to see ?
What gives you the chills
Do you have any concerns

Personally I'd take 8-8 even a 7-9 season as long as there is improvement on the offensive side of the ball ideally though a playoff birth would be nice

Every year I've been stoked for a new season hope springs eternal and all that (not so much for this season as fishers Rams had a way of breaking you down ) but now coach McVay is in town and wade freaking Phillips is coming to the party I am drooling for the new season

jjab360

Legend
No expectaions. If we go 5-11 I can find it in me to still be optimistic given the inexperience. I'd we go 10-6 and make the playoffs, then great let's throw a party haha.

jap

Legend
Sean: "I expect the players who are designated to be 'receivers' to actually, actually catch the damn rock! I also expect them to know where the damn first down marker is, especially on third down!"

Last edited:

Scirca

Rookie
2017 Ram's schedule. Prediction
My prediction: 11-5 Record, NFC West champs.
Best Case: 13-3
Worst Case:9-7

Remember
1998 Rams 4-12
1999 Rams 13-3

We finished 4-12, coincidence... maybe ;)

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I expect Wade Phillips to change McVay's diaper early and often.:pillowfight:

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
My expectations are a better record this year and I want to see some clear progress with Goff's game and the offense as a whole. I am very excited for a real offensive (football) mind running the show along with keeping this D and ST playing well. I do have some concerns about McVay coming in with limited draft capital in his first year but FA will help. Now the hard part starts.....the waiting!

This is a great time to be a Rams fan especially since expectations/excitement are high and failure hasn't had a chance to happen as of yet...:yay::yay::yay::football:

Zero

Pro Bowler
Sean: "I expect the players who are designated to be receivers to actually, actually catch the damn rock! I also expect them to know where the damn first down marker is, especially on third down!"
I thought it was funny in the Faulk interview that,
he said something to the effect of:
with McVay when the Rams have 3rd and 6
our receivers would be running 6yd routes
not 4.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I expect the following:

1. Wideouts to run a six yard route if that's the call. Exactly six yards. No more rounded routes or pulling up short of assignment and us ending up with a 4th and 1 because the wideout is too stupid to do his job. This is a hallmark of Jay Gruden offenses through his time in Cincinnati and Washington, where even intermediate and deep routes are run EXACTLY as drawn up without guys pulling up and quitting on them, and no doubt McVay is going to get that BS fixed quick-like and in a hurry.

2. An offense with downfield passing game built off of play action just like we saw with the Skins. Integrated concepts working together from the schematic level. LBs and Safeties vs our offense are going to have to spend a second diagnosing.

3. A run game that reminds people of the RB the NFL forgot last year. Gurley should have a rebound year.

4. Defensively a more challenging, in-your-face approach on the back end, with safeties over the top. I have always loved Wade's defenses, and while we might not have a top 5 unit this year they're going to be disciplined and we will have a unit we can be proud of.

How many wins comes down to how quickly Goff arrives. If he has a strong camp this team will be at that pushing-for-the-playoffs type of range, the 7-9 to 9-7 type of record. My overall expectation is a smart, competitive team that might not have all the pieces yet but which will not be out-gameplanned week to week. That's it.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought it was funny in the Faulk interview that,
he said something to the effect of:
with McVay when the Rams have 3rd and 6
our receivers would be running 6yd routes
not 4.
I'd rather they ran 7 yard routes just in case ;)

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
My expectations are just less 3 and outs and that I actually enjoy watching our offense play. Our offense has been abysmal for some time now.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know coaches can't have contact with players but is there any chance of McVay having dinner rounds Goff place invite tavon higbee coop .. and "accidentally" leave a bag behind that contains a copy of the new playbook ?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he doesn't win 15 games in his first season, I'd fire his azz
Because, you know, undefeated is asking too much

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
I expect the following:

1. Wideouts to run a six yard route if that's the call. Exactly six yards. No more rounded routes or pulling up short of assignment and us ending up with a 4th and 1 because the wideout is too stupid to do his job. This is a hallmark of Jay Gruden offenses through his time in Cincinnati and Washington, where even intermediate and deep routes are run EXACTLY as drawn up without guys pulling up and quitting on them, and no doubt McVay is going to get that BS fixed quick-like and in a hurry.

2. An offense with downfield passing game built off of play action just like we saw with the Skins. Integrated concepts working together from the schematic level. LBs and Safeties vs our offense are going to have to spend a second diagnosing.

3. A run game that reminds people of the RB the NFL forgot last year. Gurley should have a rebound year.

4. Defensively a more challenging, in-your-face approach on the back end, with safeties over the top. I have always loved Wade's defenses, and while we might not have a top 5 unit this year they're going to be disciplined and we will have a unit we can be proud of.

How many wins comes down to how quickly Goff arrives. If he has a strong camp this team will be at that pushing-for-the-playoffs type of range, the 7-9 to 9-7 type of record. My overall expectation is a smart, competitive team that might not have all the pieces yet but which will not be out-gameplanned week to week. That's it.

Very much this.

For me, big things to see would be our team playing disciplined football on both sides of the ball, and on offense showing the desire on routes, blocking assignments, etc.

The other big change I expect to see is that the offense will be coordinated, less predictable, and designed from the ground up to be a cohesive, adaptive system that puts players in position to know what is needed from them, and to execute at all times. I believe that's been a big problem, especially since schotty left, and we had more and more talk of hybridizing our offense and o-line function.

I expect our defense to be at least middle-of-the-pack, as they adjust to a new system and finding/developing the right personnel.

I won't put a win-loss up there. I just need to see progress and vision, along with a team that buys in and sells out. I do believe wins will come with that, but if it takes a couple years to get the right personnel and the right attitude and comfort-level installed, that is understandable, and to be expected. See how much fire Jay Gruden was under in Washington after 1 year. While we would all love to see instant results, it's not McVay's fault he's taking over a franchise that's failed to get over the hump repeatedly, and he deserves patience, provided his team shows progress and heart.

FRO

Legend
If the line still sucks and if Goff doesn't improve, 4-12. If the line and Goff improve 9-7. As someone who is a year younger than the HC I can't imagine the pressure he is stepping into. I've been at my job for 6 years and I'm still not 100% confident in myself. It takes time in any profession to know what you need to. Not saying McVay doesn't, he just may be well ahead of the learning curb. This hire was a swing for the fences. It will either be a home run or a strikeout. I like his profile and it's an exciting hire.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
2017 Ram's schedule. Prediction
My prediction: 11-5 Record, NFC West champs.
Best Case: 13-3
Worst Case:9-7

Remember
1998 Rams 4-12
1999 Rams 13-3

We finished 4-12, coincidence... maybe ;)

Seems plausible. Our biggest thing we need to do is win those close games. If we can win the majority of close games instead of losing them, we'd see a big spike in record.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I have no expectations year 1. McVay will be learning, our players will be learning, it's hard to say what we'll be capable of. Setting expectations is how you get disappointed and how coaches get fired their first year. Let them learn and grow and build this team and install their culture. The year after we can start saying "I want to see improvement here and here" and then we can start judging.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'll keep it simple...

I expect the Rams to be seldom, if ever, outcoached in '17.

In all 3 phases, mind you.

Who knows how many wins that means? My SWAG is around 10 of them.

But I cannot tell you how nice it feels to believe that we will seldom be outcoached, as was the case with Fisher almost every damned week.