Expanded Playoffs Beginning In 2015?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Goodell says support for expanded playoffs is “tremendous”
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 26, 2014

goodell.jpg
AP

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell seems fully on board with adding two playoff teams.

Although the owners have not yet voted to expand the postseason to 14 teams, it sounds like just a matter of time, based on the comments Goodell made at the league meeting today.

“We had a good discussion on it on several fronts,” Goodell said. “As you know, the Competition Committee has been looking at this for a couple of years. We have discussed it in various committees, including broadcasting. We had a full discussion on the floor with the owners and other executives this week. I think there’s a tremendous amount of interest in this, possibly even to the point of support, but there are also things we still want to make sure we do it right. We’ve been very incremental in trying to do this, but we believe competitively it could make even our races toward the end of our season even more exciting with more teams vying for playoff positions, which is great for our fans. We still want to do some additional work, including talking with the players association. We have a scheduled meeting set for April 8. This will be one of the things we’ll probably discuss and then we’ll also have to talk to broadcast partners and there are some scheduling issues that we still need to work through.”

It seems unlikely that the league will expand the playoffs for the 2014 season. But it looks like it’s going to get done in 2015.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Competition committee...Yeah this about nothing more than money :jerkoff:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah, player safety isn't mentioned huh? Two more wild card games I guess? Probably couldn't get the 18 game regular season to fly so this is a somewhat compromise.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Competition committee...Yeah this about nothing more than money :jerkoff:

No shit. Why don't you let the players and fans vote fuck stick. Then you'll know how much actual "support" you have for the issue.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Oh well, it just means another team will be disappointed when the Rams win the Superbowl

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Three teams from the NFC West making the playoffs with the Rams being the division winner? NIIIIICE! I'd love to crush the ShitHawks and Whiners once again in the playoffs for a third time next season! ;) (y)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Look at the AFC... Did another team over there really deserve a playoff spot?

This is another NFL money grab.

The first playoff no-sellout is just around the corner.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i like it. the team with the best record in each conference gets rewarded with the 1st round bye. 6 wild card games. what's not to like?

sure the 7th seed will most likely be fodder for the 2nd seed to beat up on but how good would it have been to see a team like the cards last season get a chance. works both ways.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

i like it. the team with the best record in each conference gets rewarded with the 1st round bye. 6 wild card games. what's not to like?

sure the 7th seed will most likely be fodder for the 2nd seed to beat up on but how good would it have been to see a team like the cards last season get a chance. works both ways.

Last season, the Cards deserved a shot. Agree.

What about the AFC?

What about the year the Seahawks made it at 7-9?

It feels to me to water down the field, as opposed to add to it.

And... That's a $ move by the NFL. Not an enhancement.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
That's just stupid to me. It isn't best of 7 like hockey. One game and you're out.

I say if you want to make the playoffs play better.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I like it. If teams that don't belong there get in then they'd still get waxed by teams that do. They'll only play one extra game.