Exclusive: SJ Would Expect to be Dealt if Richardson Picked

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Re: Exclusive: SJ Would Expect to be Dealt if Richardson Pic

Im glad the chance TRich is there at 6 is slim. Id hate to see him be traded and would be furious if he were released. That draft pick should be used to address other needs IMO. Drafting TRich and dumping SJ doesnt really do anything to improve our team other the next few seasons.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

All I can do through my own lessons replacing another legend (Marshall Faulk), is try to be there for the young guy. If he’s receptive, I’ll help him and do the world for him. And if not, you’ve just got to compete — and I’m not backing down.

The Rams are going to do what’s best for the Rams. I understand that. It’s a business.

What a great quote. If it wasn't for the injuries I'd say he has nothing to worry about.

SJ has been a great representative for the Rams of late. Every interview he did on his ESPN tour lately was perfect. It's been nice watching him develop into the man/player he is today.

Richardson is a hell of a prospect. It will be interesting to see what happens if he somehow falls to us.

Speeps

Starter

How trustworthy is that source?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Speeps said:
Evidently it's a source that tells us Jackson "believes he'll be traded" if Richardson is picked. I'm sure that's the fear of every player who sees another player drafted at the same position. That's what competition is all about. Obviously there's a salary cap issue attached with this one though. Having both Jackson and Richardson tying up that much cap would be difficult - but not unbearable. That would set up a scenario where Jackson would be phased out in favor of a younger back, which essentially means he'll either be traded or WANT to be traded.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Speeps said:

Well, I have full confidence in him, fwiw. I had to post it on my site because it is an unnamed source (rather than BR.)

Speeps

Starter

That's very interesting. I have a hard time believing STL would trade or even release SJ39 this season IF they draft Richardson. Schotty and Fisher made it clear that this is a two-back system. Fisher also likes the "Big Back." He was raving about SJ39 during mini-camp. I guess we will have to wait and see.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Speeps said:
That's very interesting. I have a hard time believing STL would trade or even release SJ39 this season IF they draft Richardson. Schotty and Fisher made it clear that this is a two-back system. Fisher also likes the "Big Back." He was raving about SJ39 during mini-camp. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Great points. As I pointed out in article, just because Jackson can apparently see this happening does not mean St. Louis would do that.

superfan24

Starter

libertadrocks said:
Im glad the chance TRich is there at 6 is slim. Id hate to see him be traded and would be furious if he were released. That draft pick should be used to address other needs IMO. Drafting TRich and dumping SJ doesnt really do anything to improve our team other the next few seasons.

This. Although TR is an unbelievable physical player (similar to SJ) I don't want this team to use a high draft pick on something that is already set in stone for at least 3-4 more years. Let's get Sam some weapons in addition to SJ.
Not saying that he is the face of our franchise.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

I don't see it happening. Now if the Rams draft TR, I could see this being SJ's last year in horns which is fricking sad.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

I don't see the cap issue, at least this season. The #6 pick has a contract amount attached to it, just like all their other picks. The Rams are under the cap now, so why would they HAVE to move SJ? All I see here is speculation intended to sell readership.

The only reason I could see is if SJ wanted a trade, and it doesn't sound that way at all.

Btw, trading SJ after the Draft would simply create a hole in our RB depth, unless they drafted 2 RBs. Considering our other holes, how many of us want that?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

Ram Quixote said:
I don't see the cap issue, at least this season. The #6 pick has a contract amount attached to it, just like all their other picks. The Rams are under the cap now, so why would they HAVE to move SJ? All I see here is speculation intended to sell readership.

The only reason I could see is if SJ wanted a trade, and it doesn't sound that way at all.

Btw, trading SJ after the Draft would simply create a hole in our RB depth, unless they drafted 2 RBs. Considering our other holes, how many of us want that?

You have the financial reasons and trade value. He was hurt a bit last year, but he will be 29 when this season rolls around. Its hard to envision his trade value not declining after this upcoming season. I dont want to see him leave this year tho. I think the duo of him and TRich would do such a great job taking pressure off of Bradford and our WRs while we continue to re-shuffle the OL.