Ex-Rams player hired as 49ers’ defensive line coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...f-zgonina-will-be-49ers-defensive-line-coach/

Report: Jeff Zgonina will be 49ers’ defensive line coach
Posted by Zac Jackson on February 8, 2017

JeffZgoninaRAMS8x10onsite.jpg

Autograph Warehouse

Former NFL defensive lineman Jeff Zgonina will be the 49ers’ new defensive line coach, Alex Marvez of The Sporting News reported Wednesday.

Zgonina had been the assistant defensive line coach with the Giants and previously held the same role with the Texans. The 49ers officially hired Kyle Shanahan as their head coach earlier this week and will formally introduce him Thursday. Shanahan is still putting together his staff.

A seventh-round pick of the Steelers in 1993, Zgonina played 17 NFL seasons. By the time he retired in 2009 he had played for the Steelers, Panthers, Dolphins, Falcons, Rams, Colts and Texans.

Zgonina played in 219 career games and had 26 sacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Zgonina#Professional_career

Zgonina signed a two-year contract with the St. Louis Rams on March 12, 1997. He played in 15 games in 1997, producing two sacks and 21 tackles. He was released by the Rams on August 21, 1998.

Zgonina re-signed with the Rams on March 27, 1999. He spent four seasons with the Rams, becoming their starting defensive tackle during the 2000 season. He earned a Super Bowl ring in 2000 after St. Louis beat the Tennessee Titans in Super Bowl XXXIV.

He was also a member of the 2001 NFC Champion Rams, starting 13 games and playing in Super Bowl XXXVI. He recorded 144 tackles, 10.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, and six fumble recoveries in his second tenure with the Rams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't realize he'd gone in to coaching. Best of luck to him but not too much vs us.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
In that picture he looks like a puffed up Marc Bulger

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
It's the eyebrows LOL.

And then I went and watched some Bulger videos. :( He might have been underappreciated in the league. Man he had a fast release, great accuracy and no fear. I hope Goff can show some of that (and I think he has the potential)