Ex-Rams guard to play center for the Dolphins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Wow! The Fins must have some serious O-line depth problems.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Abramson‏@AbramsonPBP
Shelley Smith says he's never started a game at center at any level. Said he found out shortly before camp that he's the guy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dolphins replacing Pouncey with a guy who’s never snapped
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 25, 2014

shelleysmith.jpg

With Pro Bowl center Mike Pouncey likely out an extended part of the regular season and the fallout of last year’s bullying scandal, the Dolphins figure to start a brand new offensive line this year.

So why not go build around a guy who has never done his particular job?

According to Andrew Abramson of the Palm Beach Post, the Dolphins are going with free agent pickup Shelley Smith as their starting center.

But Smith said he’s never played center at any level.

He’s started eight games in the NFL, all at guard.

At a certain level, it’s not that big of a change for a competent lineman. But springing it on him just before training camp almost makes it appear it wasn’t a fully developed plan.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Bah ha ha! LMAO at the fins! Good luck with this experiment.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Really? Smith was the only choice they had? You gotta feel bad for a teams offensive line, when a backup like Smith has to take the reigns at center. How can you not even have a project guy or two that has played the position? Even we have a couple of those (Barnes, Jones, etc). Smith isn't even good enough to start at guard. But lets start him at a spot hes never played in his life.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wish Smith well.

Rams aren't in that conference, and aren't playing them this year.

So, good luck, Mr. Smith. Always nice to be employed.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I fully expected Ritchie Incognito....

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what are the odds that they either pick up a camp cut or trade a late round draft pick to get a real center before the end of training camp?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I really wanted to bring back Smith as guard depth. Does he have the strength to recover after the snap as a center? I have my doubts.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I think he could be a good center, but if he's never played the position, you have to give him more than a month to learn how to play center. It might be his best fit in the long run though.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Boy, they are screwed. I am so happy we finally are not in their predicament, been there too many times.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I wouldn't be surprised if he is more suited as a center. I wish him well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wouldn't be surprised if he is more suited as a center. I wish him well.

I always said that Shelley Smith was not the Boudreau's right style for a starting OG or a top reserve. Smith fits the Miami scheme IMO. He is a quick & light on his feet to make a good center.