Ex-Ram released by the Skins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Redskins release Adam Carriker
Updated: March 4, 2014
By John Keim | ESPN.com

Adam Carriker was confident in his recovery from surgeries that might have sidelined others long ago. But if he plays this season, it'll be at a much lower price.

The Washington Redskins released Carriker and punter Sav Rocca, freeing up more cash a week prior to the start of free agency. Washington also released its seventh-round draft pick from 2013, running back Jawan Jamison.

Kevin Hoffman/USA TODAY Sports - Adam Carriker has missed almost two full seasons while dealing with three surgeries on his right quadriceps.

Carriker's release wasn't a surprise, considering the defensive end missed all of last season as well as the final 14 regular-season games in 2012. He tore his right quadriceps in Week 2 of 2012 and needed three surgeries to repair the injury. Carriker was released with a failed physical designation.

The Redskins will not seek to re-sign Carriker, according to a team source.

The Redskins contemplated releasing Carriker before last season, saying privately that few players could return from such a scenario. But his work ethic persuaded them to keep him.

Carriker's release saves the Redskins $2.98 million against the salary cap. He was scheduled to have a cap number of $6.5 million this season. Carriker recently said he was optimistic about returning.

"I understand how the NFL works. [But] there's no doubt in my mind they want me around," Carriker said. "They like a lot of things about me. They know I can play. They know I know the defense very well. Even if you bring a guy in, unless you see him in your exact scheme, it's hard to know if a guy will work.

"They know I can do it. Plus I've been battling every day for a year and a half. I think they like and respect that. They've also seen the progress. It's just a matter of me getting back to full speed and getting 100 percent back to normal. Without a doubt, they want me back."

Carriker recorded a career-best 5.5 sacks in 2011 as the starting left defensive end. The first-round pick by St. Louis in 2007 was traded to Washington in 2010, switching from a 4-3 end/tackle to a 3-4 end. He was a good fit and it showed with his anticipation skills in 2011, making more plays behind the line.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
One of the most disappointing picks in recent memory...and there have been a lot of them.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
How can you bust on that many high picks? HOW? You could throw a dart and do better. That's how you go into the abyss, fellas. With that said, we're gonna be in the thick of things next year as long as our core players are on the field.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
This bust isn't on the player it's on the idiots that drafted him for playing out of position. What was the requirement to coach or work in the front office for the Rams back then ...A drivers license ?
Amazing how far this team has came since then.

RFIP

This! He was a DE and they had him bulk up to play DT.

This. Next pick AFTER him? Darrelle Revis.

713d.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

RFIP

We didn't need Revis because the Rams already drafted Tye Hill...that's how one bad pick becomes another

Sorta like passing on Watkins because we have Quick....and Givens...and Pettis...I'm going to cry again...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now that's damn creepy!!! :eek:

And Joe Staley went at #28 in that draft. Hindsight........

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
This bust isn't on the player it's on the idiots that drafted him for playing out of position. What was the requirement to coach or work in the front office for the Rams back then ...A drivers license ?
Amazing how far this team has came since then.
Yep, same way they ruined Brian Leonard. Rather than use him as he was, first they tried to make him Mike Alstott, then they tried to make him a traditional FB.
#LinehanRuinsEverything

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Adam was a total bad ass in the weight room... but he was an injury waiting to happen on the field.

Reminds me of Saffold.

Psycho_X

Legend
Yep one of the many terrible picks. He was also a whiny d-bag from what I remember.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I thought he had a good rookie year.But other than that, meh. At least he contributed, albeit very little. Unlike the 2nd round pick that year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mmmmmm. The 2007 Draft.

That was tasty.

6xhVVIm.png

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'll still go to bat for Clif Ryan. That man was a player. Was it that concussion that ended it for him?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Mmmmmm. The 2007 Draft.

That was tasty.

6xhVVIm.png
So this is what "Mailing it in" looks like in a graph. They had to have just drawn names out of a hat.
If they would have let Carriker play DE even in a 4-3 he would have been a decent rotational guy, esp. against the run.( When the 1st rd is a rotational guy wtf) Leonard was serviceable as a back up. Ryan was the best of the bunch till he got hurt.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll still go to bat for Clif Ryan. That man was a player. Was it that concussion that ended it for him?
Yeah, he was the only guy that amounted to anything in that draft of ours. I was a big fan of his and got to speak to him a little when I was blogging back then. He wasn't necessarily a world-beater, but he was by no means a slouch. Arguably one of the better DE's to come around, IMO. Either that, or the whole team was just so shitty that he looked like an all-star.