Evidently expectations are kinda high this year (and stuff)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
Re: Evidently expectations are kinda high this year (and stu

Stranger said:
DR RAM said:
..... I was damn proud of the team last week, but that the penalties are killing us. Even if some of the penalties were NOT penalties.

As far as the tone of the board, it has changed, but it's not fair to compare it to the PD, not fair at all. I don't understand, or like, the Chicken Little stuff though.
+1 +1 +1

by the way, last wks game was very unfairly called by the refs... to the pt of being ridiculous. So, the penalties don't bother me as much as it seemed to others.

According to the Fisher King, 5 of the 7 penalties called against the Horns were wrong, the first of those being the miscall against our Chris Long.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

X said:
Mojo Ram said:
Really X?
What is the purpose of this thread? Is it a State of the Board address?
Is it a post meant to change opinions? Or silence them?

Clarification please,because i love this board,and i left the other board(and some good ppl) because the trolls were disguised as Real Rams fans and the mods let it continue.

However,i've noticed since coming here that it seems that if criticism or any questioning of the team,its coaches and players is offered up...that yourself and a few others quickly try to smother it like small fire in the corner of the room.

Just my perception.

Personally i haven't read anything upsetting,out of bounds,ridiculous or overly critical from anyone lately.
You cant change or temper expectations.
I'll likely catch shit for posting this but thats fine.
Yeah, just kind of a state of the board address (I like that, btw). I don't want to change anyone's opinions, and I don't want to tell anyone how or what to post. If it came across that way, I apologize. It was basically just a gut-check and some general observations. I haven't seen anything out of bounds either. As I posted in a different thread, I know who those "types" are. We don't have anyone like that here (anymore).

You have to see it from my perspective too, Mojo. I (we) are responsible for maintaining the image of this board. The very same board you defected to. If I (we) sense it sliding into despair, we'd just like to try and pick it back up and steer the discussion towards something more productive. And I'm always open to someone telling me that I'm being overbearing or unfair; and if you see me being that way, you're more than welcome to tell me to STFU. I'm cool with that.

Shoot. Just ask Stu. :yeh:
Thanks for the reply X. I appreciate all that you and others do here to make this a great place to come and celebrate,contemplate,discuss and vent :ww:
I understand that carries alot of care and responsibility with it.

:2u:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob

I know the quality of our staff so I believe they'll get the team rolling! I just hate getting jobbed by the refs! Paranoia from the old STL team's fortunes. You know, the one from the 60's, 70's, 80's!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

Slappy967 said:
Yeah the Chicken Little stuff has got to go. People lose their minds on game day with the Schotty sucks, Bradford sucks, Fisher sucks & same ol Rams nonsense. Football is played in 4 quarters so unless the fat lady is singing the National Anthem stop throwing in the towel so early. This team will fight from bell to bell and the rolling over and dying philosophy of Spags and co is over.

If we have learned anything 2 weeks into this marathon, it is that this Rams team will not give up. Personally I love that. I can remember watchin JE and Flipper come back against the Saints when the game seemed to be over, I never gave up faith that the Rams would win and my dad, being a whiner fan, was talkin shit the whole 4th qtr. In the end I had the last laugh. I try to stay as positive as I was that evening, there have been many seasons that have tested my enthusiasm but I am still a Rams fan and will never give up on them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

RamBall said:
Slappy967 said:
Yeah the Chicken Little stuff has got to go. People lose their minds on game day with the Schotty sucks, Bradford sucks, Fisher sucks & same ol Rams nonsense. Football is played in 4 quarters so unless the fat lady is singing the National Anthem stop throwing in the towel so early. This team will fight from bell to bell and the rolling over and dying philosophy of Spags and co is over.

If we have learned anything 2 weeks into this marathon, it is that this Rams team will not give up. Personally I love that. I can remember watchin JE and Flipper come back against the Saints when the game seemed to be over, I never gave up faith that the Rams would win and my dad, being a whiner fan, was talkin shit the whole 4th qtr. In the end I had the last laugh. I try to stay as positive as I was that evening, there have been many seasons that have tested my enthusiasm but I am still a Rams fan and will never give up on them.
Yeah, it's a new day. I remember seeing the score (21-0) on my phone, and word of Saffold getting injured, and I only very briefly thought that they were gonna get rinsed. But then I came back to my senses and realized that this team has no quit in it. When it was 24-17 with 8 minutes to play, I honestly thought they were gonna pull it out. So close. As *sloppy* as that game was, to come roaring back and make a game of it like they did, that shows a lot of resolve. It's really encouraging. Two years ago I would have found something else to do and tried not to let it get to me. Those days are over.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

DR RAM said:
The Dude doesn't abide posters saying that the team, players, or coaches suck in derogatory terms, never has, never will.

It's just a choice of words when it comes down to it, or a way to phrase a title, as not to inflame others.

That's my take on it. Discussion is always welcome.
I'm going to have to agree with the Dr once again.

We've certainly had some discussions on this board that were critical of the team in one way or another, but they weren't inflammatory and were backed-up by logical insight. I refer people to many of the camp reports that we received this last offseason. Not all of them were glowing, but the posters knew how to deliver the information in an objective sound manner.

Sitting there and watching the first 3-qtrs of the Atlanta game while also having to read negative post after post, that sounded as if they were written by frightened children, was just brutal. I should have just slammed the lid on my laptop and concentrated on the game. Next time I will. But it is that kind of forum input that just sends me through the roof.

I guess I am one who doesn't believe game time is a good time to be supercritical of the team, coaches and front office. Things are happening too quickly in a game, and momentum can shift at any moment. Further, emotions are flying high so no one is thinking in a highly objective manner. I like the post-game rant thread, as that becomes a container for all those kinds of posts. Perhaps we should also pin a gameday rant thread as well, so that those of us who don't want to hear won't have to.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

X said:
RamBall said:
Slappy967 said:

Yeah, it's a new day. I remember seeing the score (21-0) on my phone, and word of Saffold getting injured, and I only very briefly thought that they were gonna get rinsed. But then I came back to my senses and realized that this team has no quit in it. When it was 24-17 with 8 minutes to play, I honestly thought they were gonna pull it out. So close. As *sloppy* as that game was, to come roaring back and make a game of it like they did, that shows a lot of resolve. It's really encouraging. Two years ago I would have found something else to do and tried not to let it get to me. Those days are over.

Yeah after being down 21-0 early it was real testament to this team to come back to within 7 early to mid 4th qtr, plenty of time to pull out the win.

RamzFanz

Damnit

X said:

YES! I agree. BUT, they don't need to get behind 21 points to see what they are doing / not doing isn't working.

I never gave up believing they would win. My wife is a fair weather fan and she sat to watch this game after hearing me talk about all the cool stuff the Rams are doing this season and at half time she just looked at me like "again?"

She did come back and it was impressive but by the first time the Rams were one score out she says, too little too late. She was right.

My frustrations will abate I'm sure. Either the coaching is correct and I'm impatient or they will wake up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Stranger said:
I like the post-game rant thread, as that becomes a container for all those kinds of posts. Perhaps we should also pin a gameday rant thread as well, so that those of us who don't want to hear won't have to.
I don't think that's the way to go. I'm sure 99% of Rams fans scream obscenities and go into meltdown mode in their own living rooms when things start to go south - myself included. That's kinda why we have the chat room, really. So people can let it all hang out and not have to worry about the board. Real-time reactions are kinda funny, and I wouldn't take them seriously. It's just venting. So I don't think having TWO game day threads is the way to go, because that promotes isolationism. "You're not allowed to be pissed off in THIS thread ... you go into that other one." Yeah, no good can come of that. I think the best measure is to just realize people are driven by emotions during the game, but their brains take over later when they're able to process stuff rationally.

We have a lot of different personalities on this board, so accommodating them all is near impossible. I think a happy medium is the best way to go. Some people just need thicker skin (myself included) and others need to dial back on the black hole of despair stuff if possible. The best I can do to accommodate everyone is to make two different chat rooms within the chat system. If people are open to that, I can set it up.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Hey, remember this:

seattlefanfap_zps92fce65e.gif

OK, I'm back to my old self.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob

X, I appreciate what you're trying to do but our fellow Rams fans need to chill a bit before posting. A couple shots of rum should do the trick!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

rhinobean said:
X, I appreciate what you're trying to do but our fellow Rams fans need to chill a bit before posting. A couple shots of rum should do the trick!
Set 'em up, beaner!

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

X said:
Stranger said:
I like the post-game rant thread, as that becomes a container for all those kinds of posts. Perhaps we should also pin a gameday rant thread as well, so that those of us who don't want to hear won't have to.
I don't think that's the way to go. I'm sure 99% of Rams fans scream obscenities and go into meltdown mode in their own living rooms when things start to go south - myself included. That's kinda why we have the chat room, really. So people can let it all hang out and not have to worry about the board. Real-time reactions are kinda funny, and I wouldn't take them seriously. It's just venting. So I don't think having TWO game day threads is the way to go, because that promotes isolationism. "You're not allowed to be pissed off in THIS thread ... you go into that other one." Yeah, no good can come of that. I think the best measure is to just realize people are driven by emotions during the game, but their brains take over later when they're able to process stuff rationally.

We have a lot of different personalities on this board, so accommodating them all is near impossible. I think a happy medium is the best way to go. Some people just need thicker skin (myself included) and others need to dial back on the black hole of despair stuff if possible. The best I can do to accommodate everyone is to make two different chat rooms within the chat system. If people are open to that, I can set it up.
Two diff chats is no diff then two diff threads imho. Everyone came here because its a haven for real talk and real commentary. Sometimes especially during a game like last weeks some peoples emotions are going to show in the gameday thread and chat.

Like I reccomended in the gameday thread stranger we have an awsome team of mods and owners who can and WILL take someone to the shed if its over the top and its best to let them handle it (pm them if you think it got overlooked and tell them how you read it) but no need to respond to negative emotion with verbal attack because that puts you in position for the mods to knock on your door.

That being said a fit of negative emotion in the gameday thread / chat is just that. We need to leave it there and when we open new threads level heads should prevail. You may wanna discuss the negatives of the game but STOP and put some thought into it and use rational points not emotional points.

All in all we are all a big family here and we will all have our times. We just need to stop take a breath and post in a fasion that isnt attacking or defaming so all can enjoy and paericipate.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk 2

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

Stranger said:
DR RAM said:
The Dude doesn't abide posters saying that the team, players, or coaches suck in derogatory terms, never has, never will.

It's just a choice of words when it comes down to it, or a way to phrase a title, as not to inflame others.

That's my take on it. Discussion is always welcome.
I'm going to have to agree with the Dr once again.

We've certainly had some discussions on this board that were critical of the team in one way or another, but they weren't inflammatory and were backed-up by logical insight. I refer people to many of the camp reports that we received this last offseason. Not all of them were glowing, but the posters knew how to deliver the information in an objective sound manner.

Sitting there and watching the first 3-qtrs of the Atlanta game while also having to read negative post after post, that sounded as if they were written by frightened children, was just brutal. I should have just slammed the lid on my laptop and concentrated on the game. Next time I will. But it is that kind of forum input that just sends me through the roof.

I guess I am one who doesn't believe game time is a good time to be supercritical of the team, coaches and front office. Things are happening too quickly in a game, and momentum can shift at any moment. Further, emotions are flying high so no one is thinking in a highly objective manner. I like the post-game rant thread, as that becomes a container for all those kinds of posts. Perhaps we should also pin a gameday rant thread as well, so that those of us who don't want to hear won't have to.

I think having a separate thread to go nuts is probably a good idea. I agree with Stranger on this. A bunch of us we're in the GDT and (I won't mention names) were already talking about how we suck and the game was over IN THE 1ST QUARTER. Of course nobody was happy with how the game started but there are very few that want to read post after post of negative crap like that. It's exactly why we don't go to the PD. I don't expect everyone to have rainbows coming out of their butt or anything but keeping a relatively clean and positive thread is a lot more desirable than the opposite. Just my 2 pennies.

V3

Hall of Fame

X said:
Mojo Ram said:
Really X?
What is the purpose of this thread? Is it a State of the Board address?
Is it a post meant to change opinions? Or silence them?

Clarification please,because i love this board,and i left the other board(and some good ppl) because the trolls were disguised as Real Rams fans and the mods let it continue.

However,i've noticed since coming here that it seems that if criticism or any questioning of the team,its coaches and players is offered up...that yourself and a few others quickly try to smother it like small fire in the corner of the room.

Just my perception.

Personally i haven't read anything upsetting,out of bounds,ridiculous or overly critical from anyone lately.
You cant change or temper expectations.
I'll likely catch shyte for posting this but thats fine.
Yeah, just kind of a state of the board address (I like that, btw). I don't want to change anyone's opinions, and I don't want to tell anyone how or what to post. If it came across that way, I apologize. It was basically just a gut-check and some general observations. I haven't seen anything out of bounds either. As I posted in a different thread, I know who those "types" are. We don't have anyone like that here (anymore).

You have to see it from my perspective too, Mojo. I (we) are responsible for maintaining the image of this board. The very same board you defected to. If I (we) sense it sliding into despair, we'd just like to try and pick it back up and steer the discussion towards something more productive. And I'm always open to someone telling me that I'm being overbearing or unfair; and if you see me being that way, you're more than welcome to tell me to STFU. I'm cool with that.

Shoot. Just ask Stu. :yeh:

So is being a Rams cheerleader the only way to steer the discussions towards something productive? I really don't see the discussions getting anywhere near what I would deem ridiculous. It's just fans trying to understand the biggest areas of concern. If you want to see ridiculous, go visit Rams Talk where the threads aren't created for the purpose of understanding anything. The fact that a coach like Venturi brings up the exact same concerns tells me that people aren't overreacting or being Negative Nancies.

There are some here who only want posts that gush compliment after compliment. To me, that's just as bad as thread after thread of "Sam Sucks!!!" on the other board. It serves no purpose other than to stroke their own homer egos.

The best posts are the honest posts. The ones that recognize there is growth being made but there are still major issues and they want to discuss them. To say nothing but positive things is NOT being honest because this team is far from perfect.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

Memento eyeing Pandora's box:
Go ahead and say what you want, albe. I certainly don't mind, and I don't want to be the reason for you holding back something you want to say.

:yeh:
First of all, we want you posting more and I don't mind taking one for the team. :lmao:

More importantly, I think I've been a little too critical lately. I have a lot of concerns about the direction this season is going in but bitching about it isn't going to change it and I'd like to be a little more positive.

That really cuts down on my posts though. :lol:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

I haven't watched a game with my Dad or my brother in years. Primarily because they are doom-and-gloom types. I remember watching the NFC Champ game in '78 with my Dad. Of course, the Rams lost 28-0. But midway through the 4th quarter my Dad kept telling me the game was over. I never say die and we got into a hellish shouting match over it. I left.

So, when the Game Day Thread goes negative, I go bye-bye.

My brother's the same way, but I don't watch games with him because bad things happen to the Rams when we watch a game together. The last 2 games we watched together was the KC game in 2000 when Warner broke his thumb, and the Atlanta playoff game in 2004, coincidentally, the last playoff game the Rams played. Yeah. It's all my fault.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

Ram Quixote thinking about his dad:
I haven't watched a game with my Dad or my brother in years. Primarily because they are doom-and-gloom types. I remember watching the NFC Champ game in '78 with my Dad. Of course, the Rams lost 28-0. But midway through the 4th quarter my Dad kept telling me the game was over. I never say die and we got into a hellish shouting match over it. I left.

My brother's the same way, but I don't watch games with him because bad things happen to the Rams when we watch a game together.

My Dad was the same way but I never argued with him. My son and I are both in it to the end. We do sit and talk about what we liked and didn't like about the game afterwards. Just saw the game with him today and even though I knew we lost I kept hoping our D would make that last stop. :lol:

Did you knock on wood and throw salt over your shoulder (I forget which one)? :rofl:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Rabid Ram said:
X said:
Stranger said:

Two diff chats is no diff then two diff threads imho. Everyone came here because its a haven for real talk and real commentary. Sometimes especially during a game like last weeks some peoples emotions are going to show in the gameday thread and chat.

Like I reccomended in the gameday thread stranger we have an awsome team of mods and owners who can and WILL take someone to the shed if its over the top and its best to let them handle it (pm them if you think it got overlooked and tell them how you read it) but no need to respond to negative emotion with verbal attack because that puts you in position for the mods to knock on your door.

That being said a fit of negative emotion in the gameday thread / chat is just that. We need to leave it there and when we open new threads level heads should prevail. You may wanna discuss the negatives of the game but STOP and put some thought into it and use rational points not emotional points.

All in all we are all a big family here and we will all have our times. We just need to stop take a breath and post in a fasion that isnt attacking or defaming so all can enjoy and paericipate.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk 2
Yup, and next time I'll definitely handle it differently... and let the mods deal with it.

But I do think having a rant thread is a good place to vent and let it out. Perhaps another idea would be to make the Post Game Rant Thread simply a Rant Thread, and pin it before the game starts. That way it can serve as an in-game AND post-game rant thread, and we won't be creating any new threads.. they'll just be two per game, like we have now.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

you are completely right X, People including myself finally feel like we have a realistic reason to be optimistic and it has been a long enough stretch of hardship where we don't remember how to do it right. Hell we have been down right giddy about being an almost 500 team. Maybe its just misdirected optimism. Any way on the other hand all the extra peripheral activities the site has to offer are a great way to keep the board on track.
I see a lot of us are from all over the country and even the world. and we all probably only know a few people in our home towns that are Ram fans so there is a lot of only child syndrome too. We aren't the most popular NFL team.
All that being said My name is Don Foster, I am 49 and I have only ever liked the Rams, no one else, all other teams are tied for my second or least favorite. I am this way because my Dad was a Rams fan and I am an LA homer. I used to go to the coliseum to watch them play and later Anaheim. I told my now wife I would marry her if we won the super bowl the year we won, needless to say I would have married her anyway, but hey she is good luck. I still live in LA and work in the film industry and will only ever be interested in NFL football as long as the rams are playing. The fact that they were so polarizing when they were here and draw so much strong reaction usually negative from non ram fans actually keeps me even more passionate. I only where my ram swag after losses in a show of loyal true fan representation.
enough from me .
we should start a thread why are you a ram fan.