Every so often, a team gets REALLY lucky, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Should be a great test this Saturday...Clemson has some big boys out there. Louisville has a nice attacking defense.
2nd round should do the trick....a couple 2nd rounders.
We don't have a 2nd rounder unless we trade back a time or two from our first pick.

I agree this week is huge, really looking forward to Clemson v Louisville.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Free agency next year is likely resigning defensive starters and Watkins. Anything past that is probably going to be bargain shopping.

Agreed. And fortunately ILB is a nice position for bargain FA shopping. Much easier to get than the money positions.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Barron's a liability in space and would be a dropoff from Alexander. And as bad as he is in coverage he's probably better than Littleton tbh.

ILB is probably going to be a next year addition, through FA or draft/UDFA. Don't think they have a long term answer for the spot next to Ogletree on the current roster.
I did see Wade utilize Samson Ebukam inside in the last pre season game some & he was just as good inside as he was @ SSOLB'er spot. I also liked Cassanova McKinzy performance in the first pre season game inside too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I did see Wade utilize Samson Ebukam inside in the last pre season game some & he was just as good inside as he was @ SSOLB'er spot. I also liked Cassanova McKinzy performance in the first pre season game inside too.
Said it in another thread, I wouldn't be shocked if McKinzy is starting next year over one of our ILB.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Funny thing we are discussing Barron when just yesterday Gruden mentioned him as playing at a Pro Bowl level. I have considered that he made a mistake and meant Ogletree. I didn't see anything out of Barron that suggested he was a better than average linebacker...I sure wish I could verify what Gruden meant.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I really like Ebukam and have some high hopes for him to develop into a nice rusher for us. Haven't really seen him in coverage, so don't know what to expect there, but yeah that's an intriguing thought.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Free agency next year is likely resigning defensive starters and Watkins. Anything past that is probably going to be bargain shopping.
Might you post your list your Ram priority "D" UFA's in March 2018?;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny thing we are discussing Barron when just yesterday Gruden mentioned him as playing at a Pro Bowl level. I have considered that he made a mistake and meant Ogletree. I didn't see anything out of Barron that suggested he was a better than average linebacker...I sure wish I could verify what Gruden meant.

He's probably referring to a lot of the tape Barron has from 2015, where he was lights out. Coaches know what Barron's capable of, his speed and ability to blow things up when he's "on." But at the same time he's probably scheming matchups to take advantage of in the passing game vs Barron too, because the Skins have some guys who will eat him up in the pattern.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just this time ... go for the polished guy over the raw athlete with the high ceiling
Athletes are cool....It's just the ones that come from certain systems...I'd have to really talk to the guy...the dude from Oklahoma...dude from Miss. State...those 6'8 guys that can dance...naw...we want one of those protecting Goff...just make sure the guy is committed to getting better...learning...team guy...Clemson...Notre Dame...I'd still check out the freak athlete...but his mind has gotta be right.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Athletes are cool....It's just the ones that come from certain systems...I'd have to really talk to the guy...the dude from Oklahoma...dude from Miss. State...those 6'8 guys that can dance...naw...we want one of those protecting Goff...just make sure the guy is committed to getting better...learning...team guy...Clemson...Notre Dame...I'd still check out the freak athlete...but his mind has gotta be right.

If you are going to draft raw athletes, particularly on the offensive side of the ball, you have to get guys that are smart and coachable, and you have to have the guys that can teach them. You also have to have a few seasons worth of patience knowing those guys won't be ready to contribute as rookies.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you are going to draft raw athletes, particularly on the offensive side of the ball, you have to get guys that are smart and coachable, and you have to have the guys that can teach them. You also have to have a few seasons worth of patience knowing those guys won't be ready to contribute as rookies.
Agree... and that staff did not have the skills to coach those raw athletes up.

Most have moved on now... it will be interesting to see how they progress with different coaching staffs.

fearsomefour

Legend
This is so true. Like where current 3rd OT Darrell Williams can perform LT duties fair enough to secure a spot on the Rams MR but fails totality @ RT duties. You may have to draft a LT & a RT.
If Whitworth can play 3 seasons for the Rams.....we won the power-ball lottery when we signed him this yr.
This OL talent situation sure helps Saffold in retaining his high $$ contract in 2018 as a Ram. John Sullivan who will be on the far end of 33 yrs old will certainly demand a higher contract in March but he might resign for a moderate price due to McVay fondness. Age is a big problem for Sullivan who has been surgically repaired twice since he pasted 30.
There is a wild card here named Andrew Donnal. I still maintain that if healthy Donnal can be a good starting RT yet! My stated current position on the use of our top first round selection for a starting corner then aggressively attack the Free Agency & the rest of the draft in getting serious improvement in Goff's OL.
This is a team with talent.
But not so laden with talent it can soak resources into one area like O line.
You're suggestion if CB in round 1 makes sense.
The best case would have a RT in house that sticks. Get another year or two out if Whitworth....which is possible certainly....and find others in rounds 2-4.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Said it in another thread, I wouldn't be shocked if McKinzy is starting next year over one of our ILB.
Rams will have two starting LB'ers UFA in 2018 Barwin/Tree). Strong possibility that Rams will have Seven (7) very young Ram LB'ers under contract ( Ebukam, Longacre {ERFA}, Price, Littleton, McKinzy, Hager & Thompson) is there a real need to dump big $$ in signing both of them?

A bargain priced Matt Longacre played both OSLB'er post last Sunday & had an outstanding pre season doing the same for both Quinn & Barwin. Smart low end contracts are a must when you want to sign key Ram UFA players i.e. LB Ogletree & WR Watkins plus the team All Pro DE Aaron Donald new mega $$$$ deal.

2018 Rams UFA defenders like starting corners Trumaine Johnson & NRC then DE's Dom Easley & starter Tyrunn Walker, starting OLB Conner Barwin & both starting safeties Mo Alexander & Lamarcus Joyner....most 6 starters probable losses.

Last edited:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Yeah McVay is a game-breaking hire, I have a feeling McVay/Goff is going to be as special as Belichick/Brady and Payton/Brees.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oh shoot, I already like this guy
Martinas Rankin
http://www.hailstate.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4170
CAREER: Standout offensive lineman considered one of the best in the country … Can play all positions but saw all of his action in 2016 at tackle … Served as MSU’s No. 1 center during spring practices and could be in the mix there this fall … Several mock NFL Drafts list him as a first round pick for 2018 … Has the tools necessary to succeed at the next level and is a smart player … Signed with Mississippi State in December 2014 and enrolled for the spring 2015 semester … Came to MSU as the nation’s top junior college offensive lineman and redshirted in the fall of 2015 but has since adjusted to SEC football … Started 13 games with 10 starts … Two-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I'm glad you guys feel similarly. I'm cautiously optimistic but I just have this feeling, this gut feeling, that McVay is going to be one of the great coaches. As weird as it sounds, he's like the good guy version of Belichick. I feel like he's THAT great of a coach (or at least has the potential to be) but he's also someone you root for because of how charismatic and well spoken he is.

There's just something different about this coach. Don't get me wrong, I've been a homer and thought every coach we had was a great hire until shit hit the fan, so to speak. But I have this weird calmness about McVay where I genuinely feel like he is the catalyst to bring us Championships. Might not be this year or next even, but I think this man is going to be our HC for a long time, and it'll be well-deserved.

The tides are turning gentlemen, we have a new team that is hungry and ready to win. I LOVE IT.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm not one to listen to when it comes to enthusiasm for the Rams in a new season because the cup is always half full with me this early in a season but this does have a different feel about it. McVay, Kupp, Watkins, Whitworth, and Philips seem to be destiny pieces added to the equation. Trying to stay grounded again like last year after that 3-1 start. Week to week it'll only get ramped up as the Ws stack up like they're going to do right? Right? :sneak::hiding:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not one to listen to when it comes to enthusiasm for the Rams in a new season because the cup is always half full with me this early in a season but this does have a different feel about it. McVay, Kupp, Watkins, Whitworth, and Philips seem to be destiny pieces added to the equation. Trying to stay grounded again like last year after that 3-1 start. Week to week it'll only get ramped up as the Ws stack up like they're going to do right? Right? :sneak::hiding:
This pretty much sums my outlook right now. Well said (for me)!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I have always been of the belief that you make your own luck.
Do your homework.
Study history.
Common sense over your own stupid ego.

You increase your chances of "good luck" by using your brain or if something is over your head, go to somebody who knows what they're doing.