Every so often, a team gets REALLY lucky, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I mean, blind, stupid lucky beyond anything remotely normal or expected?

Kurt Warner. A UDFA just sitting there when Green was injured.

Russel Wilson in the 3rd round.

Tom Brady in the 6th round.

Every once in a while extreme good fortune just falls into one's lap. Have I properly set the scene?

Well, I've got a sneaky feeling that the Rams may have gotten similarly "stupid" lucky with the McVay hire.

They were reportedly hot for Shanahan and were conducting due diligence interviews with others while waiting for Shanny to finish his playoff run.

Including this 30 year old youngster named Sean McVay.

McVay had a jaw dropping interview and to their credit, the Rams hurriedly conducted a 2nd interview and then wrapped him up with a 5 year contract. They STOLE him from right underneath the Niners noses! The Niners actually had interviewed McVay previously and were also blown away with him. A delicious "steal", huh?

Due to a blizzard, the Rams never did get that interview with Shanny. More Ram "luck"?

See what I mean? What an unusual chain of events that resulted in the hire of our 30 year old (at the time) HC.

Don't know about you, but I'm beyond impressed with this young man. Almost too good to be true impressed, honestly.

Yeah, it's early. But we HAVE had nothing but superlative feedback from players, coaches, and beat writers about him for 8 months straight. Plus the 4 PS and one regular season game.

Know what? I foresee a lot of good times and not a few playoff wins in our Ram future with Sean McVay. Has lightning struck twice for the Rams in these last 18 years?

We'll see. But you can color me very optimistic as of today. Lol.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think the Rams are just one or two "steals" away from a winning season and a possible playoff berth. An OL pickup to shore up the right side. Lucas at RT? move Hav to RG?

Littleton emerging as a replacement for Barron? Wade has to get him on the field more.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I definitely can feel the difference between Fisher and McVay...

I'm just happy to not feel like doom hangs over our heads every week... it may turn out we lay an egg this week and that old, sinking feeling returns... but, as of today, I'm feeling that won't happen.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think the Rams are just one or two "steals" away from a winning season and a possible playoff berth. An OL pickup to shore up the right side. Lucas at RT? move Hav to RG?

Littleton emerging as a replacement for Barron? Wade has to get him on the field more.
Your correct bubbarmfan finding UDFA Cory Littleton was a good discovery by Snead last season. I would lean towards the thought that Cory Littleton would be a better possible future replacement for the weak inside LB'ing post where veteran & costly Mark Barron plays now. Tree calls the "D". Hager has shown that he is just as good calling the "D" as Tree thus if Tree was not here then its Bryce Hager we would see in the immediate future. Cory is also capable playing on the outside LB posts too. Barron better get his act together because Cory might just steal it.

Another gold nugget find (steal)by Snead is UDFA OSLB'er Matt Longacre who played as well as Rob Quinn last Sunday & had an outstanding pre season. Another gold nugget (steal) by Snead is fast rising up comer is WWC DB Blake Countess. Last Sunday he played on all ST's, saw action as starter @ FS, Nickle & SS posts last Sunday.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How about the limited injuries too? I think the conditioning and prep for our team is going to keep the dreaded RAMS INJURY CURSE away like the players wearing garlic around their necks.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Your correct bubbarmfan finding UDFA Cory Littleton was a good discovery by Snead last season.
After reading your post...I bet...if they just leave Snead and his people alone....he can find a couple linemen in the draft too....I think...the way this team is shaping up...we gotta trade that 1st round pick back....and get some REAL EFFIN LINEMEN ...to protect Goff and continue his development. Snead does know talent...in fact...there's a couple linemen at U of Washington right now...but...I'm looking at Notre Dame....and that guard at Bama.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
After reading your post...I bet...if they just leave Snead and his people alone....he can find a couple linemen in the draft too....I think...the way this team is shaping up...we gotta trade that 1st round pick back....and get some REAL EFFIN LINEMEN ...to protect Goff and continue his development. Snead does know talent...in fact...there's a couple linemen at U of Washington right now...but...I'm looking at Notre Dame....and that guard at Bama.

Just this time ... go for the polished guy over the raw athlete with the high ceiling ... although I think the "athlete" preference was a Fisher thing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If Littleton is better at ILB then move Barron to Safety where he will succeed. I don't think getting rid of him is an option quite yet.
There is no way you could even consider getting rid of Mark Barron this season based on his new contract alone. MB has a proven track record as a Ram starter to be highly effective in playing outstanding defense (2015 & 2016) with over 234 tackles in 2 seasons. MB has played in the secondary & then in the LB'ing unit leading the team in tackles in 2015 & last season he was #2 in tacks. But this will be his first season as a ILB'er. It may take a while for him to get UNtracked. Another matter not discussed is MB has a history of playing lbs being around 210 pounder but now he is listed @ 225lbs.

Missing much of TC & Pre Season is sure to cost him of his usual playing style & edge. But I will be observing MB closely from this point on to see how well he is coming long in his new playing post.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was high on McGlinchey but he's looked slow and kind of lost so far in two games. Brown or Williams would be great but hoping we don't draft that high. Maybe the kid from Clemson?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was high on McGlinchey but he's looked slow and kind of lost so far in two games. Brown or Williams would be great but hoping we don't draft that high. Maybe the kid from Clemson?

The Rams front five on "D" is far superior in talent presently to our front five on "O". The "D" is much younger & secure long term wise over the "O" too. There no way knowing just what strides will be made in all the Rams playing units by the end of the season or just how hard the free agency will effect us in March of 2018 & it looks like we will loose more than expected but just based on what we know now the front five "O" must be priority #1 in attempts to strengthen now & well into the future.

If Kromer still has desires to move Havenstein inside he is well set @ both OG posts (Saffold/ Brown/ Havenstein/Donnal). The real issue as you have pointed out is @ OT & then center.

Some considerations our members might look to keep an eye on this season... some fast risers from well known NFL offenses who may be early RT prospects & possible early 3rd day draft values .....LSU's Toby Weathersby & U's KC Mc Demott.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/06/23/2018-nfl-draft-early-watch-list-offensive-tackles/
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2018/OT
http://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Dr.../Top-College-Offensive-Tackles-2018-Draft.asp

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams front five on "D" is far superior in talent presently to our front five on "O". The "D" is much younger & secure long term wise over the "O" too. There no way knowing just what strides will be made in all the Rams playing units by the end of the season or just how hard the free agency will effect us in March of 2018 & it looks like we will loose more than expected but just based on what we know now the front five "O" must be priority #1 in attempts to strengthen now & well into the future.

If Kromer still has desires to move Havenstein inside he is well set @ both OG posts (Saffold/ Brown/ Havenstein/Donnal). The real issue as you have pointed out is @ OT & then center.

Some considerations our members might look to keep an eye on this season... some fast risers from well known NFL offenses who may be early RT prospects & possible early 3rd day draft values .....LSU's Toby Weathersby & U's KC Mc Demott.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/06/23/2018-nfl-draft-early-watch-list-offensive-tackles/
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2018/OT
http://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Dr.../Top-College-Offensive-Tackles-2018-Draft.asp
RT is fine but I'm looking at LT we can put opposite Whitworth for a year or two and be mentored then by and then take over for him. Imo that's draft priority one.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
RT is fine but I'm looking at LT we can put opposite Whitworth for a year or two and be mentored then by and then take over for him. Imo that's draft priority one.
Now you just made yours & mine work so much harder & now we got major work to do.:lifting:.

That job has proven to be a near impossible for the Rams in this century.:huh: Just maybe Snead has learned a lesson about left tackles plus the fresh genus of McVay & NFL veteran savvy of Kromer will have a Vulcan mind melt ....meet our desires @ drafting a legit Swing OT in 2018 who can be plugged in @ RT till LT Whitworth says he has had enough. By the way Whitworth will be 36 before the season ends:notsure:.

fearsomefour

Legend
That means investing high draft stock to find a LT that can play RT as well. Not all can.
It depends if the team thinks Whitworth has three years in him or not.
The Rams best three lineman will all (likely) need to be replaced in fairly short order. LT, LG, C....the other two spots are manned by guys who are still unproven.
So, I would invest at least two draft picks in the O line this coming draft. The first round pick? I don't know.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That means investing high draft stock to find a LT that can play RT as well. Not all can.
This is so true. Like where current 3rd OT Darrell Williams can perform LT duties fair enough to secure a spot on the Rams MR but fails totality @ RT duties. You may have to draft a LT & a RT.
It depends if the team thinks Whitworth has three years in him or not.
If Whitworth can play 3 seasons for the Rams.....we won the power-ball lottery when we signed him this yr.
The Rams best three lineman will all (likely) need to be replaced in fairly short order. LT, LG, C....the other two spots are manned by guys who are still unproven.
This OL talent situation sure helps Saffold in retaining his high $$ contract in 2018 as a Ram. John Sullivan who will be on the far end of 33 yrs old will certainly demand a higher contract in March but he might resign for a moderate price due to McVay fondness. Age is a big problem for Sullivan who has been surgically repaired twice since he pasted 30.
So, I would invest at least two draft picks in the O line this coming draft. The first round pick? I don't know.
There is a wild card here named Andrew Donnal. I still maintain that if healthy Donnal can be a good starting RT yet! My stated current position on the use of our top first round selection for a starting corner then aggressively attack the Free Agency & the rest of the draft in getting serious improvement in Goff's OL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Littleton is better at ILB then move Barron to Safety where he will succeed. I don't think getting rid of him is an option quite yet.

Barron's a liability in space and would be a dropoff from Alexander. And as bad as he is in coverage he's probably better than Littleton tbh.

ILB is probably going to be a next year addition, through FA or draft/UDFA. Don't think they have a long term answer for the spot next to Ogletree on the current roster.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is so true. Like where current 3rd OT Darrell Williams can perform LT duties fair enough to secure a spot on the Rams MR but fails totality @ RT duties. You may have to draft a LT & a RT.
If Whitworth can play 3 seasons for the Rams.....we won the power-ball lottery when we signed him this yr.
This OL talent situation sure helps Saffold in retaining his high $$ contract in 2018 as a Ram. John Sullivan who will be on the far end of 33 yrs old will certainly demand a higher contract in March but he might resign for a moderate price due to McVay fondness. Age is a big problem for Sullivan who has been surgically repaired twice since he pasted 30.
There is a wild card here named Andrew Donnal. I still maintain that if healthy Donnal can be a good starting RT yet! My stated current position on the use of our top first round selection for a starting corner then aggressively attack the Free Agency & the rest of the draft in getting serious improvement in Goff's OL.
Free agency next year is likely resigning defensive starters and Watkins. Anything past that is probably going to be bargain shopping.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And re: the OP, yes. The Rams hit the jackpot on McVay. Even if things normalize and we end up with a .500 season, we can sit back and know the drafting and developing is going to happen at a high level. But I don't think this is a .500 team tbh, I think it's a 9 or 10 win team.