Everett > Higbee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Everyone that was skeptical after I called it last week, I hope it's becoming more and more evident.

I thought Gerald's blocking last night was pretty solid but it's undeniable whos the better receiving option. Plus the guy is such a competitor! He caught a few balls and was tackled quickly before being able to run after the catch and he was ticked. He plays with a big chip on his shoulder as well and I'm so excited to see how he develops in this offense!

Well to be fair Higs has been criticized throughout the camp as well, mainly for the drops (he had 3 bad ones just on the day I attended which pi$$ed me off). And it's not a surprise that Everett is that RAC option in this short passing game offense, as we knew that right after the draft from watching his film and whatnot leading up to it.

Long term Everett is definitely a key guy for McVay, and I don't believe there are many who think otherwise. Also it's pretty clear they hit on him as a pick too, even though it's still early, because he is getting better week to week. And I have been impressed by his body control too, btw (dude has made circus catches in the endzone with guys on him), so he's more than just a RAC guy.

Higbee just needs to demonstrate improvement as well, plain and simple. He's got all the stars aligned for him, from great coaching to an offense that utilizes his position to a wide open roster depth chart. And he has exceptional talent too, in the size and athleticism side of things. So all I'm saying is there's a couple preseason games left to include the week 3 dress rehearsal, thus I'm still hoping he can demonstrate that he'll also be a key role player for this season.

I have a bad feeling about the dude, admittedly. But there is time still for him to start showing what he can do. Him stepping up would be a great thing for our offensive outlook and make it even brighter.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Everyone that was skeptical after I called it last week, I hope it's becoming more and more evident.
Everett does look better ATM...
I have a bad feeling about the dude, admittedly. But there is time still for him to start showing what he can do. Him stepping up would be a great thing for our offensive outlook and make it even brighter.
Something is wrong with Higbee....again...since Dallas last year, he's just not playing as physically as his body would suggest. He wants no part of contact...as a blocker or pass receiving option. Timid....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Something is wrong with Higbee....again...since Dallas last year, he's just not playing as physically as his body would suggest. He wants no part of contact...as a blocker or pass receiving option. Timid....

Yeah been worried about him since camp. But for me it was more that I expected him to be dominating and/or a crucial part of the offense. He's not. At least not yet. Again, though, there is time and he' getting top-notch coaching. We're only half way through preseason there's a lot of chances for him to raise the bar.

If I had to guess on him right now I'd say he's an accessory piece type guy at best. But again I am still hoping for more.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agree he sure looks the part but something is amiss:sadwalk:.

On the positive side here....I finally saw a very real good play from Tyler Higbee last night......Tyler can catch low & away fast balls ....who knew :shocked:but the other parts of his duties is still below what is needed to be a starting TE in the NFL. Unless Tyler begins to turn it up on his blocking (it can happen) ....Cory Harkey still has a spot on this roster. Oh yeah watch out for Temarrick...;)

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
My concern with Higbee is the camp/practice reports are always glowing, but I haven't seen it translate to the field yet. However, he still seems to be the number 1 TE in the coaches eyes.

From the usage it is pretty clear the coaches think Hemingway is the best blocker out of the top 3 TEs and the preferred option as the inline TE. Hemingway may have played just as much or more than Everett with the ones. Hemingway kind of of fits in to the old Vernon Davis role McVay had last year as TE who can be inline and block, but still has the speed to threaten the seem.

Both Higbee and Everett have a long way to go as blockers, but Everett is clearly the superior receiver. No question IMO the guy fitting into the Jordan Reed role, and it shows through the different spots and ways they have used Everett in the preseason. I have never seen a TE so angry when he doesn't make the first man miss and I'm surprised when he doesn't break the first tackle.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
To me.... it doesn't matter how they stack up.... as long as they all keep improving and help our team win. If coaches have Higs as no1 then so do i....if they have Everett than so do i. They are all so young.... none of them are even close to reaching they're full potential yet ...we may have 3 studs at TE by this time next year.....;) if not what do we loose in rooting for all of them....not just 1?

Go Rams....... ;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My concern with Higbee is the camp/practice reports are always glowing, but I haven't seen it translate to the field yet. However, he still seems to be the number 1 TE in the coaches eyes.

From the usage it is pretty clear the coaches think Hemingway is the best blocker out of the top 3 TEs and the preferred option as the inline TE. Hemingway may have played just as much or more than Everett with the ones. Hemingway kind of of fits in to the old Vernon Davis role McVay had last year as TE who can be inline and block, but still has the speed to threaten the seem.

Both Higbee and Everett have a long way to go as blockers, but Everett is clearly the superior receiver. No question IMO the guy fitting into the Jordan Reed role, and it shows through the different spots and ways they have used Everett in the preseason. I have never seen a TE so angry when he doesn't make the first man miss and I'm surprised when he doesn't break the first tackle.

Based only off what I have seen all of the 2016 pre season games & this seasons 2 pre season games...if I had to make the crucial decision on what 3 TE's I would have on the 53 player roster it would be Harkey/Hemingway/Everett....not a hard decision for me at that.

I would imagine that Higbee knows the offense far better than Hemingway & Everett @ this time. Harkey would fall a step below Higbee probable but like you said from what I have seen in real game performance ..........Higbee has failed the test.

TexasRam

Legend
Higbee at this stage should never
be used as a blocker. It's offensive suicide.

If there were no names on the back of the Jersey and the competition had nothing to do with draft position, Higbee would have no chance making this team.

It will be a huge mistake of Mcvay if he keeps him for some other TE's
That can block. In fact, if I am Snead and Mcvay i'm concerned right now and putting resources into projecting "solid blocking" TE cuts of other teams.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can we all chill our jets a little it's the 2nd game of preseason

I LOVED what I saw last night but there's a long ways to go Boys a long way to go

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Everett made a couple nice blocks out there last night. He's already improving. His future looks very bright. I just want to see him get one down the seam.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every Gurley Touch Against Raiders
http://yi.nzc.am/bJVvCC

I watched these and while he isn't exactly a road grading mauler in the run game ... I do t see higbee being "afraid" of run blocking or contact ... I see a second year tight end (who was in an abysmal system last year ) doing just enough to get the job done and trying to get better