Even After the Draft, the Rams’ O-Line Needs Work/Stalter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Even After the Draft, the Rams’ O-Line Needs Work
By Anthony Stalter

http://www.101sports.com/2015/05/05/even-after-the-draft-the-rams-o-line-needs-work/

Take a glance at the Rams’ roster and you’ll think two different people put together the offense and defense. The majority of the team’s core is on the defensive side, as are the Pro Bowl appearances and the quality of depth at nearly every position.

It’s no surprise that the defense will lead the Rams once again in 2015.

That said, the offense still needs attention.

Even after selecting four offensive linemen in the latest Draft, the Rams shouldn’t stop adding to the line this offseason.

A defense already stacked with five former first-round picks and plenty of pass-rush ability added Nick Fairley and Akeem Ayers in free agency, so why should the Rams shy away from seeking the services of veteran guard Justin Blalock on the other side of the ball now that the draft is complete?

St. Louis cast a wide net in adding offensive linemen in the 2015 Draft, taking Wisconsin offensive tackle Rob Havenstein in the second, Louisville guard/tackle Jamon Brown in the third, Iowa offensive tackle Andrew Donnal in the fourth, and Fresno State guard Cody Wichmann in the sixth.

The scouting reports on all four players show they’re more advanced in run-blocking than in pass protection.

This plays into the identity that coach Jeff Fisher seeks for his offense.

Assuming the Rams’ thought process was that if they drafted four offensive linemen, at least one immediate starter would emerge from the group, if not more.

Not a bad strategy, and it was encouraging to see them continue to draft O-linemen after adding Havenstein and Brown.

That said, if the Rams had addressed their needs in free agency, they could have concentrated on drafting the best player available in each round, as opposed to zeroing in on one position.

More on that here.

That doesn’t mean the Rams’ window of opportunity has closed, though. I’m not sure why Blalock remains a free agent, but if he’s seeking comfortability and a starting job, St. Louis offers both.

Bonus: Blalock is already familiar with offensive line coach Paul Boudreau from their days in Atlanta, and he could slide right into the team’s opening at left guard.

The Rams can’t afford to take the risk of starting second-year project Greg Robinson next to a rookie. The same can be said for starting rookies side-by-side on the right side if Rodger Saffold were to man the left guard position.

Fisher may feel as though Havenstein and Brown have all the potential in the world, but an offensive line combination of Robinson, Saffold, Havenstein, Brown and Tim Barnes/Demetrius Rhaney/Barrett Jones is a scary proposition for a team with expectations to win in 2015.

There’s not a lot of starting experience in that group.

Bringing back Scott Wells and/or Jake Long isn’t the answer. Both are injury risks that don’t represent upgrades.

Blalock, on the other hand, has only missed three games since entering the league in 2007 and would provide an immediate upgrade over Davin Joseph along the interior.

The offensive line would still be a question mark with the addition of Blalock, but at least Nick Foles could rest a little easier knowing the group in front of him would grow by 125 starts.

Whether starters or depth, winning teams never stop adding quality pieces to their roster.

The Rams understand this on defense, but fail to grasp the concept at times on offense. The man running the defense would look at Blalock and have zero hesitation signing him to a contract, because Blalock makes the team better.

Let’s see if the person running the offense feels the same way.

Alan

Legend
Jeff Gordon said the same thing and I'm on that bandwagon too. Especially on a non-guaranteed contract where he'd just be competing for a job.

And no I don't care if he displaced one of the bottom feeders we drafted because if he does replace one he was a bottom feeder.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Meh. Let it play out. The Patriots were ranked 31st in pass pro last year, and 8th in run blocking.
There are some similarities developing, and it would be premature to say anything definitive about this line right now.

Alan

Legend
Before the euphoria of drafting 4 O-linemen completely clouds everyone's vision, Donnal and Wichmann are 4th and 6th round picks for a reason. Brown and Haverstein are untested. Just saying.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Summarizing this article in 4 words;

The Rams need Blaylock

If you don't have time to read the article, read my shortened version.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Blalock is available for a reason. As is Barks.

Nobody the Rams can add now are really worth very much. They already added a swing OT/OG who is better than Barks, and will have plenty of interior options that are better than an old OG that was cast off from a poor ATL line.

IMO Fish learned his lesson about leaning on experience over talent on the OL and the Rams will benefit greatly this season. I hope they just roll into camp with what they have and go from there. If they still need help they can use trades which would be preferable to signing old and/or crappy players to more than they deserve.

Alan

Legend
12intheBox axing a question:
Who are we cutting to make room?
If his salary isn't guaranteed we need cut no one yet. He has to compete to make the team. Any or all of those draft picks might not look so good after training camp and preseason. We'd really need him then if only for backup. But I bet he'd make the team and probably start. A one year deal to give us time to try and train the new guys up. That's what I'm thinking anyway.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Let's start with this - I'm not worried about C. Barnes has played at a sufficiently high level. BJones and Rhaney can challenge him.

THEN... what about Gs and Ts. Saffold and Robinson can both play any of the 4 positions at a sufficiently high level. Garrett Reynolds is veteran insurance at any of the 4 positions. The loser of the C derby can also probably play G. Brandon Washington can play G.

So, for the rookies to earn a starting spot, they need to beat out Reynolds, Washington and the losers of the C derby.

How will this wind up?
  • GRob at LT. That's a given.
  • Saffold should move back to RG, it's the right thing to do.
  • I also have it my mind that Haverstein will be at RT where he belongs (time to grow up, rook!)
  • Let's just say for the time being that BJones takes the C role.
That means we'll be evaluating 7 players to win that LG spot, which is btw the LEAST important of all the OL positions: 3 remaining rookies, Brandon Washington, Garrett Reynolds, and the 2 losers of the C derby.

If none of these folks is deemed worthy enough to play LG, then they should just be cut from the roster immediately.

But let's say you STILL think this is too risky and we need MORE insurance? Yeah, go ahead, pick up Blaylock if it makes you feel better. 1 year prove it contract should do.

But from where I sit, I'd rather spend my remaining free agent $$s somewhere else. The Rams have $10M left in cap money (http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/st-louis-rams) and let's say they need $4M to sign the rookie class. That leaves $6M to sign a bunch of FAs! I can imagine up to 3 more folks being added, or even more if they are brought on in "prove it" deals.

Alan

Legend
junkman with this:
But from where I sit, I'd rather spend my remaining free agent $$s somewhere else. The Rams have $10M left in cap money (http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/st-louis-rams) and let's say they need $4M to sign the rookie class. That leaves $6M to sign a bunch of FAs! I can imagine up to 3 more folks being added, or even more if they are brought on in "prove it" deals.
That all sounds like a good possibility junkman.

When you say "spend your money elsewhere" do you perceive a destination? If we have a need that there might be a good chance to fill with that extra money then that might be the better way to go. I don't see a need elsewhere so what are you thinking?

Rockman

UDFA
and let's say they need $4M to sign the rookie class.

Are you sure it will only take 4 mill to sign the rookies?? I thought it was more like 6? Which still leaves us 4 to sign a guy and have s little left for any emergency that pops up during the season.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
When you say "spend your money elsewhere" do you perceive a destination? If we have a need that there might be a good chance to fill with that extra money then that might be the better way to go. I don't see a need elsewhere so what are you thinking?

You read my mind. I started thinking more deeply about what I said right after writing it, and I'm having a hard time coming up with a need I want to address. The Rams have so much young emerging talent that you don't want to stiffle it by adding a high priced FA.

The NFL says these are the top folks available.
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#tab=top101

I just dunno. The Rams have a history of leaving ZERO $$s of cap space available under Snisher. Begs the question, where does it go??

It might be nice to have a big slobber-knocking inline TE, but I'm not seeing anyone available.

CB Darius Butler from Indy?

This is like going through the scratch and dent section of a department store.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Are you sure it will only take 4 mill to sign the rookies?? I thought it was more like 6? Which still leaves us 4 to sign a guy and have s little left for any emergency that pops up during the season.

Last year the Rams rookies had a huge cap impact, $5.7M in cap space, but they had the #2 pick (GRob), and the 13th pick (ADonald), with 11 picks overall. The team that picked 10th in 2014 (Detroit) had a $2.7M cap impact on 8 picks.
http://overthecap.com/2014-rookie-pool-estimates.php

$4M is just a number I've heard before but now that I've looked a bit deeper, it is probably high. $3M maybe, the Detroit number from last year and a bit of inflation?