Even after blockbuster deal, Titans trying to trade into the top 10

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...r-deal-titans-trying-to-trade-into-the-top-10

Draft: Even after blockbuster deal, Titans trying to trade into the top 10
April 17, 2016 1:22 pm ET

Jon Robinson isn't done putting his stamp all over this upcoming NFL Draft. Not by a long shot.

The rookie general manager already executed one blockbuster trade in an effort to replenish the tattered roster he inherited in Tennessee, receiving a bounty of selections to swap the first-overall pick to the Rams last week, and he's far from done.

According to numerous NFL executives who have spoken to him, the general manager is now exhausting possibilities to move back into the top 10 from the 15th pick, and just as many of them fully expected him to deal the first-overall pick. Now rival execs who know him well are just as confident this team is not done trading.

“He's moving back up,” said one executive who all but guaranteed to me recently the Titans would be trading the top pick. “He has the ammo to do it and it's heading in that direction.”

Of course, this is the kind of trade that might not be culminated until draft day itself -- not every deal can be cemented two weeks before anyone comes off the draft board -- but I wouldn't bet against Robinson pulling it off. He could surrender a second-round pick and still be in position to control the third round, and while his team needs quantity, without a doubt, it is also starved for quality.

That's why, despite getting a ransom for the first-overall pick, some execs I spoke to didn't love the deal for the Titans, either, given how they had surrendered the chance to land an absolute blue-chip player like left tackle Laremy Tunsil to fall all the back to the middle of the first round, where the talent just is not as robust.

Now, if Robinson ends up back in the top 10 somewhere -- maybe swapping with the 49ers at the seventh pick, for instance -- he still might be able to address that void by landing a difference-maker. Clearly, protecting potential franchise quarterback Marcus Mariota is Job One for Robinson and that's what he was charged to do upon his hiring. Frankly, that's a big part of the reason why former coach Ken Whisenhunt was fired midway through the season.

Robinson-titans.jpg

NFL execs think Robinson is planning to make another move. (USATSI)
So while it's conceivable Robinson could stay at 15 and perhaps land Michigan State tackle Jack Conklin, that's not a sure thing and it seems like Robinson would prefer moving back up to get a left tackle -- like Notre Dame's Ronnie Stanley -- who may be less of a gamble as a left tackle.

If Robinson is super motivated, and wants to go way outside the norm, he could end up getting Tunsil after all. Numerous NFL executives who have been in contact with teams at the top of the draft said that, following the Rams acquiring the top pick in the draft -- which they will undoubtedly use on a quarterback -- the Browns have become increasingly motivated to deal the second-overall pick.

“They want to move out of that spot and everyone knows it,” is how one exec put it.

The Browns want Jared Goff, and, I have yet to talk to an executive who does not believe that is who the Rams are taking. While the talk prior to the Rams making that huge move was that they preferred Carson Wentz, no one is buying that they jumped up half a draft round to select a quarterback who played low-level college football and may need to sit for a few years while the Rams try to make a dent in the Los Angeles market.

Maybe there is actually some ruse going on, but just as other teams were never buying that the Rams were going to go with Case Keenum as their quarterback, they aren't buying for one minute that Jeff Fisher doesn't already know who he is picking; and they believe strongly it is the California kid who played in the Pac-12 who is more pro ready from Day One than Wentz.

Browns coaches, for their part, believe the gulf between Goff and Wentz is fairly wide, and thus taking Wentz at No. 2 is a tough sell. And while Joey Bosa and DeForrest Buckner would be under consideration for the selection, the opportunity to drop down, land more picks, and not have to pass on a passer appeals to the Browns as well. And for an alleged forward-thinking, analytics-driven front office that prizes the cheap commodity that draft picks are, trading down would make plenty of sense and would take them off the hook of picking at 2 and would give them something they could sell to the fans if their quarterback is indeed going to be gone.

(As several execs pointed out to me, the true forward-thinking moves the Browns should have already made is dealing left tackle Joe Thomas by now, which would have given them more ammo to move up to the first pick to get the QB they wanted, or being positioned to take Tunsil at 2).

newTunsil.jpg

Tunsil is coveted by a number of teams, including the Titans. (USATSI)
Now, the Rams will do their best to complicate things by propagating this charade that they have no idea who they are going to pick, and, oh the drama and intrigue! Which is exactly what the NFL office would want them to do as it attempts to land a bigger TV audience at the spot. With the Rams wanting to host future drafts, combines and everything else at the new stadium they are building, they need to stay in the good graces of Park Avenue at any price.

So I get it, and other teams see it for what it is, and it may mean the Browns make some contingency deals in place assuming Goff is announced first overall, but if they are diligent in their work finding a trade partner shouldn't be impossible even under these circumstances.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Moving up to the 7-10 range could still net them a blue chip prospect without having to give up much. They got a ton of ammo now. Im envious. I loved have multiple early picks. But I prefer a real QB ofc lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
no one is buying that they jumped up half a draft round to select a quarterback who played low-level college football
Why not? Fisher spent a 3rd overall on a QB from Alcorn State (and subsequently went to a SB with him).

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

this pro ready shit has me befuddled.

there's so much information out there contradicting each other's point of view. who do you believe? do they even know what they're talking about? i think it might be better not to read any more articles and just wait until the rams announce their pick. then just read up on the player the rams actually have on their roster.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

this pro ready crap has me befuddled.

there's so much information out there contradicting each other's point of view. who do you believe? do they even know what they're talking about? i think it might be better not to read any more articles and just wait until the rams announce their pick. then just read up on the player the rams actually have on their roster.

Going to be a long 10+ days.

jap

Legend

The word is that the Horns are responsible for the two conflicting rumors as the Snisher Smoke & Mirror Show is ramped up to full steam now. The Brownies, the '9ers, the Broncs, and all other QB-needy teams are officially over-stressed, and we still have 10-11 days to go.

Ram65

Legend
“They want to move out of that spot and everyone knows it,” is how one exec put it.

The Browns want Jared Goff, and, I have yet to talk to an executive who does not believe that is who the Rams are taking. While the talk prior to the Rams making that huge move was that they preferred Carson Wentz, no one is buying that they jumped up half a draft round to select a quarterback who played low-level college football and may need to sit for a few years while the Rams try to make a dent in the Los Angeles market.

Maybe there is actually some ruse going on, but just as other teams were never buying that the Rams were going to go with Case Keenum as their quarterback, they aren't buying for one minute that Jeff Fisher doesn't already know who he is picking; and they believe strongly it is the California kid who played in the Pac-12 who is more pro ready from Day One than Wentz.

How many did he talk to? Should at least give some idea.

Browns coaches, for their part, believe the gulf between Goff and Wentz is fairly wide, and thus taking Wentz at No. 2 is a tough sell.

More food for the Goff crowd.

What's Jason La Canfora reputation as far as being in the know?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Yeah, Goff is supposedly more pro ready because he has played more football and against tougher competition. However, according to NFL Network Wentz is way ahead of Goff in whiteboard sessions. So, wouldn't that mean he understands the pro game better already?

I like them both, but what a tough decision to make. In the end I am leaning Goff just because of the way he has handled pressure behind a putrid OLine. Many think he is a lot like Matt Ryan. I like Ryan and wanted the Rams to pick him years ago, but he isn't Rodgers. Some think Wentz can be Rodgers/Manning/Brady good. Tough to pass on that potential.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Yeah, Goff is supposedly more pro ready because he has played more football and against tougher competition. However, according to NFL Network Wentz is way ahead of Goff in whiteboard sessions. So, wouldn't that mean he understands the pro game better already?

I like them both, but what a tough decision to make. In the end I am leaning Goff just because of the way he has handled pressure behind a putrid OLine. Many think he is a lot like Matt Ryan. I like Ryan and wanted the Rams to pick him years ago, but he isn't Rodgers. Some think Wentz can be Rodgers/Manning/Brady good. Tough to pass on that potential.

It's cool that Wentz was in a pro system. But what good is that, if you're playing against scrubs? How about playing in an offense against players that will actually make the pros, like Goff. That's one of the major reasons I'm going all in for Goff. Yeah Wentz looks good against kids. Nobody knows how well he will do against professional athletes. And no, I wasn't impressed with the senior bowl performance like everyone else is for some reason. I'm taking the super accurate, solid pocket presence field general that has played against top athletes every time. I don't even have these guys ranked very close at all to be honest with you. Wentz is 80% hype if you ask me. Was a nobody a few months ago. He's like the shiny new car that everyone wants. But gets recalled a year in. I'll take the steady sports car that produces in the tough situations.

It's cool that Wentz was in a pro system. But what good is that, if you're playing against scrubs? How about playing in an offense against players that will actually make the pros, like Goff. That's one of the major reasons I'm going all in for Goff. Yeah Wentz looks good against kids. Nobody knows how well he will do against professional athletes. And no, I wasn't impressed with the senior bowl performance like everyone else is for some reason. I'm taking the super accurate, solid pocket presence field general that has played against top athletes every time. I don't even have these guys ranked very close at all to be honest with you. Wentz is 80% hype if you ask me. Was a nobody a few months ago. He's like the shiny new car that everyone wants. But gets recalled a year in. I'll take the steady sports car that produces in the tough situations.

Shiny sports car that produces??? Goff’s three-year collegiate win/loss record as the Cal quarterback is 13-23,

Actually I read one scout who was at the Senior bowl and he said this about Goff.... “I’m just not crazy about him, not at all. He doesn’t win. Show me a quarterback who didn’t win in college, that did well up here? There aren’t many. To me he’s another Jay Cutler. And you can take that any way you want.”

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Shiny sports car that produces??? Goff’s three-year collegiate win/loss record as the Cal quarterback is 13-23,

And it's all on the QB? The guy had no help whatsoever and still tore shit up. Look at his numbers. And keep in mind, he had no o line or really anyone to throw to. And there's this thing called a defense. I can care less about how much he won. The entire Cal team was basically shit aside from Goff.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I agree that there is a lot of projection with Wentz. He did well with pressure at his level but how well will he do when the game speeds up. Goff didn't face NFL talent but it was much much closer than what Wentz did. Plus Wentz hasn't even played that much in comparison. Goff seems to be more of the sure thing. However, if projections with Wentz become reality he could be great.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Actually I read one scout who was at the Senior bowl and he said this about Goff.... “I’m just not crazy about him, not at all. He doesn’t win. Show me a quarterback who didn’t win in college, that did well up here? There aren’t many. To me he’s another Jay Cutler. And you can take that any way you want.”

That is a subjective matter. How does a QB win surrounded with a lousy team? Bradford won in Oklahoma and didn't do crap with a lousy Rams team. My only hang up with Goff is the armstrength. Can it improve with training? I don't know. Some guys are maxed out and can't get any bigger. Wentz has that part down already. In the end I think they both will be good QBs but which one ends up being the better of the two is just very hard to discern. If I had to put money on one it would be Goff just because he has played and produced at a much higher level of competition over a longer period of time.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
who do you believe?
Believe me....:sneaky:

But what good is that, if you're playing against scrubs?
No love for the FCS, huh??? Did you see Cal's schedule? Weren't you impressed with Goff's game versus Air Force?

Yeah Wentz looks good against kids. Nobody knows how well he will do against professional athletes. And no, I wasn't impressed with the senior bowl performance like everyone else is for some reason.
Why not? Best QB in the Senior bowl.... But Dak led some drives...right? Couple of drops hurt Wentz performance....

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

C'mon man. Defenses are only as good as their weakest link. Are you telling me these defenses were chock full of nfl worthy players? No way. When you see college scores in the 40s and 50s every week. No way. Only in the nfl do you face the best of the best. That's why i don't look at qbs stats in college and have no idea how to project them.

You clearly haven't watched any FCS football (I can understand why you haven't) but people like to knock it as if the gap between the Best FCS schools and even the scrub FBS schools is huge. It's not. NDSU competes with many FBS schools and wins. See this article.... http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo.../north-dakota-state-fcs-fbs-STOP-PLAYING-THEM
I'm not saying NDSU is going to be beating Alabama anytime soon don't get me wrong but lets look at the facts. NDSU is better than you are giving them credit for. Many of the teams in the FCS are better than you are giving them credit for. NDSU spanked Central Michigan of the MAC 44-14 back in 2007 during our transition to FCS (I know I know the MAC is a lower tier FBS conference) but it wasn't even close. That Central Michigan team had several players who are in the NFL. They won the MAC the year we beat them. To say that all we play agaisnt are "Kid's noboey knows" or "Scrubs" shows you don't know as much as you think you do. By the way our main conference opponent UNI's running back scrub who nobody knows seemed to do ok for himself last year with the Arizona Cardinals. You might remember him...David Johnson.

C'mon man. Defenses are only as good as their weakest link. Are you telling me these defenses were chock full of nfl worthy players? No way. When you see college scores in the 40s and 50s every week. No way. Only in the nfl do you face the best of the best. That's why i don't look at qbs stats in college and have no idea how to project them.

You may want to read this article. https://www.insidehighered.com/news...estimate-their-chances-playing-professionally
Bottom line is if you have the skills you will make it. Doesn't matter if the label says you are FBS, FCS whatever. You either have it or you don't. The label or division you play at guarantees you nothing.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You may want to read this article. https://www.insidehighered.com/news...estimate-their-chances-playing-professionally
Bottom line is if you have the skills you will make it. Doesn't matter if the label says you are FBS, FCS whatever. You either have it or you don't. The label or division you play at guarantees you nothing.

That's what I'm saying. You can't say this qb or that qb played what defense. It seems all defenses as a whole aren't very good in college. Mind you this is my uninformed view from seeing so many scores in the 40s and 50s.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
You clearly haven't watched any FCS football (I can understand why you haven't) but people like to knock it as if the gap between the Best FCS schools and even the scrub FBS schools is huge. It's not. NDSU competes with many FBS schools and wins. See this article.... http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo.../north-dakota-state-fcs-fbs-STOP-PLAYING-THEM
I'm not saying NDSU is going to be beating Alabama anytime soon don't get me wrong but lets look at the facts. NDSU is better than you are giving them credit for. Many of the teams in the FCS are better than you are giving them credit for. NDSU spanked Central Michigan of the MAC 44-14 back in 2007 during our transition to FCS (I know I know the MAC is a lower tier FBS conference) but it wasn't even close. That Central Michigan team had several players who are in the NFL. They won the MAC the year we beat them. To say that all we play agaisnt are "Kid's noboey knows" or "Scrubs" shows you don't know as much as you think you do. By the way our main conference opponent UNI's running back scrub who nobody knows seemed to do ok for himself last year with the Arizona Cardinals. You might remember him...David Johnson.

to piggy back of that, Georgia State won the sun belt 2 years ago in their 1st season in the FBS and followed it up with another good season and a bowl game in their 1st eligible year. Appalachian State also joined 2 years ago and had 2 bowl worthy seasons. Sure these teams might not be able to compete with most power 5 teams, but to say the FCS is full of scrubs is just ignorant. Not to mention how bad the Pac12 is defensively. Hell you'd probably have a much better case for saying the pac12 defenses are full of scrubs than the FCS teams