Evan Silva's Rams Draft needs and mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/71453/71/nfl-draft-needs-rams

Rams No. 1 Team Need: Offensive Line

Silva’s Analysis

The Rams’ line couldn’t block anyone last year. Andrew Whitworth solidifies left tackle in the short term, but he turns 36 during the season. After a sophomore step back, RT Rob Havenstein is converting to guard. Cement-footed LT failure Greg Robinson will apparently be auditioned on the right side. With 22-year-old stringbean Jared Goff at quarterback, it is imperative that Los Angeles finds at least one new offensive line starter. The most pressing up-front needs are center and tackle.

Rams No. 2 Team Need: Pass Catcher

Silva’s Analysis

The Rams used nine draft picks on wide receivers and tight ends during the five-year Jeff Fisher era. Today, their No. 1 wide receiver is Robert Woods and their No. 1 tight end is Tyler Higbee.

Rams No. 3 Team Need: Defensive Back

Silva’s Analysis

In LCB Trumaine Johnson, slot CB/FS Lamarcus Joyner, and SS Maurice Alexander, each of the Rams’ top-three defensive backs are entering contract years. Los Angeles made the mistake of letting Janoris Jenkins (Giants) walk a year ago, and lost FS T.J. McDonald (Dolphins) in 2017 free agency. This secondary is hanging by a thread.

Other Considerations: Defensive Line, Linebacker, Quarterback, Running Back

2017 NFL Draft: More coverage here

Norris’ Mock Draft

Round 2 (37): C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio State - Elflein is an immediate starter at center or guard, spots where he starred at Ohio State. His testing was well below average, which could keep him out of the first round. Despite spending eight draft picks over the last three drafts on offensive linemen the Rams front five is a mess outside of free agent pickup Andrew Whitworth. Elflein would help anchor it.

Round 3 (69): WR Taywan Taylor, Western Kentucky - I am Taywan’s biggest fan. He can win outside and inside, big and small, as well as after the catch. He is the type of player the Rams need on offense.

Round 4 (112): CB Shaquill Griffin, UCF - An outstanding athlete who might be available on the third day due to the depth of this corner class. As Evan mentioned, the Rams corners look quite different than two years ago, and might look even more different in 2018.

Round 4 (141): EDGE Joe Mathis, Washington - Pass rushers are difficult to find, and Wade Phillips likes to rotate at the position. Mathis could still be on the board due to previous injuries.

Round 5 (149): CB Bernard Langley, Lamar - Former Georgia Bulldog who is listed as many evaluators’ “gem” at the corner position.
Round 6 (189): T Storm Norton, Toledo - Norton will likely stay at tackle in the NFL.

Round 6 (206): WR Trent Taylor, Louisiana Tech - I love Trent Taylor. I have no idea if he is drafted due to size limitations, but McVay could see Taylor in a Jamison Crowder type role. I’d bet on him to succeed.

Round 7 (234): S Leon McQuay, USC - East West Shrine invite.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting but drafting interior OL'er Pat Elflien @ #37 is a big reach IMO. He might be a fair selection @ #69 but Pat Elflein as our top selection is off the mark. Aaron Kromer would really have issues with is 6-3 300 pound size too.More likely Elflein will be there @ the very beginning of the third day when we pick @ #112. Now if it were interior OL'er Forrest Lamp it would be a great pick!

The #69 selection of WR Taywan Taylor appears to be another smaller reach selection. Another slot is not what I would call close to a need.I was under the impression we had a boatload of 5-11 & under wide outs. Typical NBC Rotoworld Ram stuff.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Interesting but drafting interior OL'er Pat Elflien @ #37 is a big reach IMO. He might be a fair selection @ #69 but Pat Elflein as our top selection is off the mark. Aaron Kromer would really have issues with is 6-3 300 pound size too.More likely Elflein will be there @ the very beginning of the third day when we pick @ #112. Now if it were interior OL'er Forrest Lamp it would be a great pick!

The #69 selection of WR Taywan Taylor appears to be another smaller reach selection. Another slot is not what I would call close to a need.I was under the impression we had a boatload of 5-11 & under wide outs. Typical NBC Rotoworld Ram stuff.

Not a chance in hell Elflein is available on day 3. Your massively underrating him. He's comparable to Travis Frederick who was a first round pick. Kromer would have no problems whatsoever with his size either.

That being said, I too don't want us addressing center in the second. But if he's there by some miracle, in the third round, we take him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/71453/71/nfl-draft-needs-rams

Rams No. 1 Team Need: Offensive Line

Silva’s Analysis

The Rams’ line couldn’t block anyone last year. Andrew Whitworth solidifies left tackle in the short term, but he turns 36 during the season. After a sophomore step back, RT Rob Havenstein is converting to guard. Cement-footed LT failure Greg Robinson will apparently be auditioned on the right side. With 22-year-old stringbean Jared Goff at quarterback, it is imperative that Los Angeles finds at least one new offensive line starter. The most pressing up-front needs are center and tackle.

Rams No. 2 Team Need: Pass Catcher

Silva’s Analysis

The Rams used nine draft picks on wide receivers and tight ends during the five-year Jeff Fisher era. Today, their No. 1 wide receiver is Robert Woods and their No. 1 tight end is Tyler Higbee.

Rams No. 3 Team Need: Defensive Back

Silva’s Analysis

In LCB Trumaine Johnson, slot CB/FS Lamarcus Joyner, and SS Maurice Alexander, each of the Rams’ top-three defensive backs are entering contract years. Los Angeles made the mistake of letting Janoris Jenkins (Giants) walk a year ago, and lost FS T.J. McDonald (Dolphins) in 2017 free agency. This secondary is hanging by a thread.

Other Considerations: Defensive Line, Linebacker, Quarterback, Running Back

2017 NFL Draft: More coverage here

Norris’ Mock Draft

Round 2 (37): C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio State - Elflein is an immediate starter at center or guard, spots where he starred at Ohio State. His testing was well below average, which could keep him out of the first round. Despite spending eight draft picks over the last three drafts on offensive linemen the Rams front five is a mess outside of free agent pickup Andrew Whitworth. Elflein would help anchor it.

Round 3 (69): WR Taywan Taylor, Western Kentucky - I am Taywan’s biggest fan. He can win outside and inside, big and small, as well as after the catch. He is the type of player the Rams need on offense.

Round 4 (112): CB Shaquill Griffin, UCF - An outstanding athlete who might be available on the third day due to the depth of this corner class. As Evan mentioned, the Rams corners look quite different than two years ago, and might look even more different in 2018.

Round 4 (141): EDGE Joe Mathis, Washington - Pass rushers are difficult to find, and Wade Phillips likes to rotate at the position. Mathis could still be on the board due to previous injuries.

Round 5 (149): CB Bernard Langley, Lamar - Former Georgia Bulldog who is listed as many evaluators’ “gem” at the corner position.
Round 6 (189): T Storm Norton, Toledo - Norton will likely stay at tackle in the NFL.

Round 6 (206): WR Trent Taylor, Louisiana Tech - I love Trent Taylor. I have no idea if he is drafted due to size limitations, but McVay could see Taylor in a Jamison Crowder type role. I’d bet on him to succeed.

Round 7 (234): S Leon McQuay, USC - East West Shrine invite.
These needs, OK I'll agree! BUT this^^Draft(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n) The Rams can do a lot better all around!! JMHO!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I don't understand the need to take a shot at Goff. Do you really need to insult the guy to get a point across?

Writers like this piss me off.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Horrible draft, think the only picks I'd like are the two in the 4th.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Only OL they might actually take there--not named Lamp--at 37 is OT, but it's very unlikely those guys will last long in this particular draft. Everyone knows if you want an OT you better get it right off the top, there's a few guys who will get reached for pretty quickly IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not a chance in hell Elflein is available on day 3. Your massively underrating him. He's comparable to Travis Frederick who was a first round pick. Kromer would have no problems whatsoever with his size either.

That being said, I too don't want us addressing center in the second. But if he's there by some miracle, in the third round, we take him.

Not a big fan of Elflein. Everyone goes on about what a competitor he is, but he passed on the Senior Bowl and personally I am not wowed by his tape. I think he is a solid mid-to-late round 2 guy at best.

EDIT: that said I do think he will go earlier than he should. Lot of teams need OL and it's going to get depleted quickly once a run on them starts.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't understand the need to take a shot at Goff. Do you really need to insult the guy to get a point across?

Writers like this tick me off.
That...and this...
This secondary is hanging by a thread.

K then. Rams are returning three solid starters(TruJ, Mo and Joyner), signed K.Webster, Nickell Coleman and there is young unproven bodies. The unit needs to be addressed yeah, but there's zero reason to panic.

Ram65

Legend
With 22-year-old stringbean Jared Goff at quarterback, it is imperative that Los Angeles finds at least one new offensive line starter. The most pressing up-front needs are center and tackle.

Writers like this tick me off.

That was my first thought and my first Quote. The guy had a lot of things wrong. Didn't mention the signing of OC John Sullivan and the two new cornerbacks. Webster and Robey-Coleman. Rams can go in any direction because they did fill some holes if on short term contracts. i don't see the draft like he does either.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Uh, no....on everything, especially the unnecessary and ignorant string bean comment.