Evan Silva Highlights Rams 4 Greatest Positional Needs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Evan Silva Highlights St. Louis Rams' Four Greatest Positional Needs

by Patrick Karraker

http://archauthority.com/2015/02/02...st-louis-rams-four-greatest-positional-needs/

Following the Super Bowl, rotoworld.com’s Evan Silva revealed his list of every team in the NFL’s four greatest positional needs heading into the offseason. For the Rams, Silva ranked the offensive line, wide receiver, quarterback, and tight end as the Rams’ four greatest areas of need.

Silva found the Rams’ biggest holes to be on the line, saying:

The Rams are likely to release C Scott Wells and LT Jake Long, the former for poor on-field performance and the latter because Long can’t stay healthy. Right guard is a glaring need after free agent Davin Joseph flopped there in 2014. St. Louis needs a starting center and potentially a starting right tackle, where Joseph Barksdale’s contract is up.

It’s difficult to argue with this logic, as the Rams could be replacing as much as four-fifths of their opening day offensive line from 2014. While Greg Robinson will settle into the left tackle spot, the Rams could be scrambling to fill the other three spots. Tim Barnes or Barrett Jones could be internal solutions at center, but the Rams don’t really have any candidates on the current roster to replace Barksdale if he leaves, and they’ll definitely need to find a replacement from the outside for Joseph this offseason.

It would be best for the Rams to address these needs through the draft, as offensive linemen very rarely are successful as free agents. The Rams seem to have had particularly bad luck in this area, as big-money free agent additions such as Jacob Bell, Jason Brown, Harvey Dahl, and most recently Jake Long have failed miserably after arriving in St. Louis.

Silva’s next area to address was at wide receiver:

Assuming Brian Quick heals steadily from his 2014 shoulder injury, wide receiver isn’t quite as big a need for the Rams as it’s been in recent years. Stedman Bailey looks like a future contributor, and Quick flashed legitimate No. 1-wideout chops in a breakout season before going down. St. Louis could solidify its depth by re-signing free agent Kenny Britt. Tavon Austin continues to look like a lost cause.

The Rams do need to add some depth at the receiver position, though it’s a bit of a stretch to say the area is a major need. As Silva mentioned, the Rams have a group of three solid wideouts in Quick, Britt, and Bailey, assuming that Britt is re-signed. The Rams aren’t going to cut Austin, and he’s an impactful punt returner, so he’s going to occupy a roster space regardless.

The team could stand to upgrade over fifth receiver Chris Givens, but replacing a player who’s part of the bottom 25 percent of the roster may not even be noticeable unless injuries affect the receiving corps. It’s unlikely that any of the Rams’ wideouts are going to end up being Pro Bowlers, but there seems to be a consensus that the bigger problem is the guy throwing the passes than the players catching them.

Silva’s third area of need is at the quarterback position:

Coming off back-to-back ACL tears, Sam Bradford has missed 31 games over the past four seasons. He’s owed a $13 million salary in 2015, which is also a contract year for Bradford. St. Louis will likely use an early- to middle-round draft pick on a quarterback.

Bradford has shown the ability to elevate the players around him and has been a serviceable signal-caller when healthy. With that said, the Rams can’t expect a whole lot out of him now that he’s suffered two ACL tears and his career is literally hanging by a thread.

Really, the Rams’ biggest need if they want to become a perennial contender is at the quarterback position. We’ve seen how much players like Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck can change the direction of a franchise, and if the Rams were able to find a true difference-maker at quarterback, it could change everything. Perhaps Silva is noticing the lack of availability of an obvious difference-maker this offseason and has the position lower on his list of needs because it is unlikely that the Rams will even find a surefire starter in free agency or the draft.

Silva’s final area of need is at tight end:

The Rams are paying Jared Cook a lot of money, but he is a one-dimensional tight end who contributes little beyond intermediate seam routes. Free agent Lance Kendricks isn’t a difference maker, but his loss would be felt. The Rams need an in-line tight end who can block and move the sticks in the short passing game.

It’s easy to argue that Cook is among the top third of the league’s tight ends in terms of receiving ability, so he’s not a problem. The Rams may need a second tight end with solid pass-catching skills if Kendricks leaves, but the team should not be too concerned with their depth at the position.

While the Rams could stand to upgrade at tight end, I would assert that there will be a greater need on the defensive line this offseason than there is at tight end. Even if Kendricks departs in free agency, the Rams still will have Cook, Cory Harkey, Alex Bayer, Justice Cunningham, and Brad Smelley on the roster, all of whom were in the program for 2014. While the latter three are unproven as NFL players and unlikely to make too great of an impact considering their draft status, they aren’t too likely to be needed from scrimmage from anyway and should be fine as depth players and special-teamers.

Meanwhile, the Rams may only return two defensive tackles (Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald) in 2015, as Kendall Langford is likely to be released heading into the final year of his contract, while Alex Carrington probably won’t be re-signed after an extremely quiet first year in the Rams’ organization. Considering that defensive line coach Mike Waufle is such a big fan of rotating his defensive linemen, the Rams are going to need to find at least one more defensive tackle who is capable of playing 20 to 30 snaps per game and making an impact.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
It would be best for the Rams to address these needs through the draft, as offensive linemen very rarely are successful as free agents. The Rams seem to have had particularly bad luck in this area, as big-money free agent additions such as Jacob Bell, Jason Brown, Harvey Dahl, and most recently Jake Long have failed miserably after arriving in St. Louis.

This says it all and is the main reason that the Rams have been missing from the playoffs for so long. Only an idiot builds a football team without an offensive line.

SierraRam

Recreational User
the Rams could be replacing as much as four-fifths of their opening day offensive line from 2014

three-fifths max. He forgot Saffold. If we keep Big Joe and get a FA guard or center, we can draft a couple of stud OL's and still have room to fill a few more needs. Other than the Saffold omission, good article - surprisingly accurate because he knows our team. That's rare!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Not a bad assessment, I believe LB is a concern as well and even though it is not a popular view around here I am a long way from sold on Bailey and his inconsistency, although a Better QB situation should Improve all the wideouts performance. Britt showed flashes and seemed to be approaching his potential as the season progressed. Quick looked much improved and ready to breakout early then slowed a bit prior to the injury leaving us with the WR position still a bit unsettled in my book. I don't believe TE gets anywhere near the need for attention as the other positions listed and yes our OL situation is a mess. It should be a interesting offseason and hopefully we address our areas of need with great resolve.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
O line is the priority by some distance in my view. I'd like to see us move down in the draft to get more picks but still pick up two o lineman in the first two rounds. Picking a guard/centre as high as 10th overall doesn't make sense hence being able to afford to move down.

My worry is that I prefer Saffold at right guard but that would potentially leave Greg Robinson and a rookie next to each other on the left hand side. Not sure if that's a good idea but I suppose it depends on how good the new left guard is.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Our biggest positional needs are mostly in the O-Line.

1. Centre: Can we see Jones here or is he a no-goer?
2. Guard: Brandon Scherff (Iowa) OT/OG or La’el Collins (LSU) OT/OG in R1 please
3. RT: retain Barksdale
4. QB: a starting caliber guy (Sanchez?)

I'll add a fifth as well...
5. MLB: I love JL but we need a feisty guy to back him up

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
O line is the priority by some distance in my view. I'd like to see us move down in the draft to get more picks but still pick up two o lineman in the first two rounds. Picking a guard/centre as high as 10th overall doesn't make sense hence being able to afford to move down.

My worry is that I prefer Saffold at right guard but that would potentially leave Greg Robinson and a rookie next to each other on the left hand side. Not sure if that's a good idea but I suppose it depends on how good the new left guard is.

I agree with all of this wholeheartedly - but it also depends on how good that rookie guard is! Look at Zack Martin for the Cowboys for example. Slotted right in there - and they had a young center who did the exact same thing.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I agree with all of this wholeheartedly - but it also depends on how good that rookie guard is! Look at Zack Martin for the Cowboys for example. Slotted right in there - and they had a young center who did the exact same thing.

I'm glad you mentioned the Cowboys because their centre - sorry, center - (Travis something or other) and Martin are exactly the caliber of player I want on our o line. I'm tired of settling for diamonds in the rough that Coach Boudreau thinks he can polish and I certainly don't want any more overpaid, underperforming free agents. Fisher should have this opinion too because he surely has to demonstrate that he can put together a winning season in 2015.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When you stack the Rams' roster against playoff teams, the glaring differences are OL and QB. So this offseason will be very heavy on both and there's a big "dropoff" to the other positions in terms of need. What is taken outside of those positions will be based on value like we saw with Donald who wasn't a great need but was clearly the top guy on their board and a value pick. They do have a little flexibility for value picks, but not much, since they have to come out of this draft with 2 OL and 1 QB.

Considering that TE and WR are listed among the team's top four areas of need, well, it demonstrates how far this roster has come as there is starting talent and some depth at both. Upgrades at both would be nice, but the Rams need to be careful to ensure their top two needs are taken care of first.

It is my belief that as long as Fish hires a strong OC we are going to see that the talent level at both are fine, even if Kendricks and Britt leave in FA.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is pretty much how I see it. Except IMO, we will need to attain 3 offensive lineman that can play, as Saffold is a walking injury waiting to happen. It's not realistic IMO to attain any starting players in free agency, which means we need 3 starting caliber offensive lineman and 1 starting caliber QB in the draft?? Not going to happen.

On top of that, I also think WR is the next weakest group. And if we're talking BPA, it could very well be a WR at where we are slotted in the draft.

Our first three draft picks could be used on WR, OL, OL....which would make sense as there won't be a QB worth our first or potentially our second round picks. So what do we do about QB???? It's the biggest need on the team. Thinking about how impossible it is to get everything addressed is a tad depressing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree with the first three needs! All of them being on the OL.

If you take them as they are brought out...Center there is no reason to retain one of the worse starting centers in the NFL in 2014. Then add the fact is the near 4 mil cap hit should end any thought of retaining Wells. Thus the Rams must replace him. Snead would seem to be in the best shape here @ center in comparison to the other OL areas. Tim Barnes who is 2 inches taller & a good 10 pounds heavier & close to 7 yrs younger than Wells....has been under contract with the Rams since early 2o11 season. Boudreau has groomed Barnes for 3 seasons now to be the starting center in 2015. Tim Barnes is no rookie...the 27 yr old Barnes has experienced & played in 45 NFL games in 3 seasons where he has finished 7 of those games as the starting center. Barnes has also been the 6th Ram OL'er on many game days. Barnes will enter his 5th NFL season as a RFA that can be a bargain priced starter in 2015 making him an inviting easy replacement to Wells costing about 3 million less.

Snead also has several other good talented young prospect centers who can easily fill into the top back up to the center position. Snead is in a very good position here @ center where he does not need to use the priceless ultra valued 2015 draft selections on a center. Snead is sure to cease this bit of good luck where he does not have it anywhere else. Snead use & invested already with the valued draft selections in 2013 & 2014 on centers...the 24 yr old with two Rams seasons under his belt Barrett Jones who dressed three games in 2013 & seven Ram games in 2014 one game where he played one half of the Seattle game as the Rams starter. Demetrius Rhaney had a very good 2014 combine in the excellent bench press & vertical jump & a outstanding 40 & followed that up with a very good training camp & pre season. Rhaney also saw action @ OLG too. Rhaney looked to make the Ram 53 player roster until he hurt his knee late in pre season & was placed on IR. In conclusion Snead has three bona fide starting Center prospects to be the Rams starter. With only 5 selections in this 2015 draft compared to the twelve 2014 draft selections I find it highly unlikely that Snead will jump fast on seeking a center in the draft or in free agency after already securing 3 prospects.

Now to the mentioned Glaring Need @ starting OG. Fisher & Snead have had 29 Ram draft selections using only 1 on an OG named Rok Watkins as third day draft pick & who was released just after one season. Fisher & Snead have trolled the late UFA left over drool & WWC's to find their OG's. That has resulted in Fishers starting OG's like Robert Turner, Chris Williams, Shelley Smith, Davin Joseph, Brandon Washington & Travis Bond. Its here where improvement is mandated. Sad though its likely that WWC's Bond & Washington will be wearing a Ram uni in 2015. Fisher also has his best OL'er & only starting OG left or right Saffold who played with a badly damaged left shoulder & currently under a long rehabbing event for the torn rotator cuff dislocation chronic re-injury events & surgery early this year under a watchfull eye early this 2015 season. Fisher & Snead needs to do something they have neglected from doing in the Rams last three drafts .....select as many OG's as possible throughout the draft.

Last year Snead addressed the OL with Greg Robinson selection. It was a very smart decision! Snead needs to do a repeat on that decision & do it again in 2015. They need a much better pass protecting Right OT than paying & buying Barksdale services. Plus this OT needs to be able to swing! Something Barksdale simply can not do.

#1-OT/OG
#2-OG/OT
#3-OG/OT

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is pretty much how I see it. Except IMO, we will need to attain 3 offensive lineman that can play, as Saffold is a walking injury waiting to happen. It's not realistic IMO to attain any starting players in free agency, which means we need 3 starting caliber offensive lineman and 1 starting caliber QB in the draft?? Not going to happen.

On top of that, I also think WR is the next weakest group. And if we're talking BPA, it could very well be a WR at where we are slotted in the draft.

Our first three draft picks could be used on WR, OL, OL....which would make sense as there won't be a QB worth our first or potentially our second round picks. So what do we do about QB???? It's the biggest need on the team. Thinking about how impossible it is to get everything addressed is a tad depressing.

I don't agree that it isn't realistic to attain a starting OL in FA. There are some very good OGs and OTs coming up in FA, and the Rams have Wells and Long coming off the books. Adding a low end guy bit them last year as they ended up depending on him at guard and got burned. So I think they'll try to get one quality FA right off the bat in FA and I think it's reasonable to think they succeed.

Before I would have said Barks was a necessary re-sign. But I'm not so sure about that now. If the guy couldn't play well in his contract year what can they expect with him under a new deal? I'd rather see them add Roos or another OT that I would consider an upgrade. That would give the Rams a high quality right side with him and Roger teeing the F off.

Plus OG is an easier instant-impact position than OT. After getting a FA OT, they draft a quality OG up high at 10 overall and suddenly the OL looks downright formidable. Anyway. I think we'll see one FA and two draft picks to finally fix that OL right.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
But, @Merlin, Barks did play well when he had competent play next to him. Barks played pretty dang well with Saffold next to him and like ass when Jospeph was next to him.

Pretty sure the issue was with Joseph...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think he nailed it, pretty much, but we need a versatile backup LB'er too. If Quick is out for any extended time, and because there are some good option in the draft, WR is definitely an are we can improve.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But, @Merlin, Barks did play well when he had competent play next to him. Barks played pretty dang well with Saffold next to him and like ass when Jospeph was next to him.

Pretty sure the issue was with Joseph...

Maybe so, it's a valid point you make. But unless Barks takes a very cap friendly deal, why not upgrade the position? This OL is easily achievable, for example:

LT: GRob
LG: Draftee (Let's say Tomlinson in the 2nd round)
C: Barnes/Jones (whoever wins competition)
RG: Saffold
RT: Roos

Another advantage of addressing OT in FA is that they can take BPA at 10. Unlike the OTs, the OGs real value in this draft are 2nd/3rd round. It would allow something along the lines of...

1. WR White or Cooper
2. OG Tomlinson
3. QB Petty

You can change things around with QB in the 2nd round too of course and still be able to get a very good OG in the 3rd round, so the basic idea is that not needing OT allows for more flexibility.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
But, @Merlin, Barks did play well when he had competent play next to him. Barks played pretty dang well with Saffold next to him and like ass when Jospeph was next to him. Pretty sure the issue was with Joseph...

I will agree with you that anyone that had to play with Joseph next to them (Wells & Barksdale) is going to cause their on field performance to be shaky at best. But many of the pressures, hits & sacks that affected JB so much came from way outside his right outside shoulder, far away from Joseph spot. Barks played only four games with Saffold next to him in 2014.

Lets go back to 2013 on Barksdale. JB did not start the first two games @ ORT. He did finish those first two games though. When JB got action @ ORT he was an UNknown to the other NFL teams. JB's first start was in game 3 with Dahl next to him. Saffold was unable to play for four games due to a knee injury. Barksdale started 4 straight games & then the bye before Saffold returned to share time with Barksdale @ ORT just about 50/50.

One note that many have forgotten is on November 3rd 2013 Saffold got the start @ ORT and played most if that game with JB on the sideline. I think Saffold has retained his starting full time status after the knee injury was passed. That date was on 11/3/2013. However very last offensive series in that 11/3/game ORG Harvey Dahl was injured. Shelley Smith fill in for Dahl & was awful in that cameo period. That forced Boudreau to moved Saffold into the ORG the next game with Barksdale returning to start @ ORT. Shelley Smith did return to play ORG next to Barksdale in the last two games of the 2013 season. So in 2013 Barksdale played next to Dahl, Saffold & Smith. So teams saw a steady stream of both Saffold & Barksdale @ ORT. I would not say that Barksdale beat Saffold out of the ORT starting post either. I would think Ram opponents did not have a clear written book on how to beat Barksdale @ that time due to the fact JB was sharing so much time with Saffold.

2014 Barksdale was awarded the starting ORT post with Joseph & Saffold playing next to him. We have debated often on the overall on field performance of JB many times. As the season went on JB's on field performance against those outside speed rushers went south. Opponents now know how to get good match ups & beating JB with smaller speed pass rushers....JB has no effective answer to combat his weaknesses this season.

I have never heard that the starting ORG (Davin Joseph) job & assignment was in part to support the starting ORT against for his weakness of being able prevent outside speed rushers getting pressure from the outside. I was under the impression that ORG's have DT & NT to deal with.

Question what if Boudreau feels that the best post for Saffold to operate from is the OLG post. Where does that leave Barksdale? If you are going to purchase services for the nest 4 yrs & pay him between 5 to 6 mil a yr (your not going to get him for less your just kidding yourself) you better spend that $$$ for a full complete OT not one with holes in his game.

Last edited:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Signing Britt and Kendrick are priorities as is the qb situation. However, offensive linemen are priority 1,2 and 3 this year! Hoping they can get a quality free agent lineman and 2 starters in the draft to take care of those top priorities and resign the needed free agents they have!